Wiki Posts
Search

Juggling frequent flyer programs - lounge access and miles accrual

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB

Hi everyone, I've looked around but couldn't find an answer to this. Is it possible to insert my FlyingBlue frequent flyer number into my Y class China Southern booking (for the miles and segments), but use a Millemiglia (SkyTeam Elite) card to enter the lounge during transfer? In other words, is lounge access available only if the corresponding program number is inserted in the booking? Any tips on how to do this? Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:44 am

I have never done this myself but it should be possible I think if you explain at the lounge and present your FF card. Note that you say that your MilleMigilia status corresponds to SkyTeam Elite, which won't get you lounge access (only Elite Plus will give you lounge access)
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. My mistake, Freccia Alata Club is SkyTeam Elite, so it should be fine for lounge access.

In fact, CZ only allows me to add their own FF number in the booking, not other SkyTeam member programs. If I don't add any number at check-in and then use the MilleMigilia card to enter the lounge, would they automatically insert the number in my booking?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Myyra
Thanks for the clarification. My mistake, Freccia Alata Club is SkyTeam Elite, so it should be fine for lounge access.
As already said by KL714 above, Skyteam Elite doesn't grant lounge access. You need Elite Plus.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Freccia Alata is Elite Plus, so OP will get lounge access based on status.

To answer the actual question; it depends. I typically put my status programme in when I book or check in, and then change it to the one I want to earn to when I'm in the lounge. However, some lounge agents I have come across refuse to do this. In these circumstances you may be able to talk them into removing numbers entirely and leave it blank, and then retro credit the flight at a later date.

Last edited by DomesticGoddess; Aug 8, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
As already said by KL714 above, Skyteam Elite doesn't grant lounge access. You need Elite Plus.
I really need to do a better job re-reading my posts. My status really is Skyteam Elite Plus.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:58 pm

I have a similar situation. I have a 6 segment itinerary on AF but crediting to AS. I was planning to just flash my AZ Elite Plus card for lounge access but it sounds like that may not be the case?

Is my best option to just try to leave my AS number off the reservation entirely and claim retroactive credit?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I'll bump this post as I have the same question too and would like to know if anyone had a more recent experience. I did the AS status match, am (and will) be flying lots with GA, but would prefer to credit to AF as I only need half the amount of segments to obtain Elite Plus.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
In principle this should be no problem at all, but in practice there may be staff members who cannot say from seeing the card whether you're eligible or staff members may get confused and/or think something fishy is going on.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:47 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

So I have now tried it and it worked quite ok with GA. What helped was the fact that as a non GA FF member, you always need to simply present the card at the lounge. So even though they wondered why I had a different (AF) number on my boarding pass, presenting the the Alitalia card in the lounge wasnt an issue.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
So I have now tried it and it worked quite ok with GA. What helped was the fact that as a non GA FF member, you always need to simply present the card at the lounge. So even though they wondered why I had a different (AF) number on my boarding pass, presenting the the Alitalia card in the lounge wasnt an issue.
Hi gilbertaue, so what you are saying, I can just flash AZ card for lounge and priority bagage and earn the miles to GA/VN when flying GA?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:16 pm

Hi lingua101. So here is my experience:

Flying quite a number of Indo legs these few months to build up a earned Skyteam status with AF. I had status matched to AZ Elite Plus but that expires in March.
When checking in with Garuda (in SIN or anywhere in Indonesia) I show my AZ card, let them do their check in process and then tell them that I would like to earn on AF and so I show them the number. I have not had any issues.
In some cases (when transiting in CGK for example), I go to the lounge, show them by boarding pass with the AF number, but also show them my AZ card. Also no issues. They write the AZ number on the slip and all is fine.

Last week, due to a late flight back, I had to take AF back to Singapore. When checking in, I tried to do the same. However here the check in desk told me "No". It's either one card or the other - and if I want two seat section instead of 3, I must show them and insert my AZ card Nr.
I told her that with GA is possible, so she walked to her supervisor and came back still with a "No".
For such a short leg, I didnt care about the seat and wanted rather the segment counted. So in the end I was given a "window seat". Which ended up being 42F - middle section, second seat from the aisle and not a window seat. Ah well, at least I know never to fly AF in Eco. (That was my first and last flight in Eco with them).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Last week, due to a late flight back, I had to take AF back to Singapore. When checking in, I tried to do the same. However here the check in desk told me "No". It's either one card or the other - and if I want two seat section instead of 3, I must show them and insert my AZ card Nr.
I told her that with GA is possible, so she walked to her supervisor and came back still with a "No".
For such a short leg, I didnt care about the seat and wanted rather the segment counted. So in the end I was given a "window seat". Which ended up being 42F - middle section, second seat from the aisle and not a window seat. Ah well, at least I know never to fly AF in Eco. (That was my first and last flight in Eco with them).
Hi Gilbertaue
I know it's OT, but FYI, AF is discontinuing the tag SIN-CGK-SIN . Last flight on March 27. It is not clear at the moment if it will resume for the winter season, but I doubt it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:19 am

Yes. Read that. No loss for me. I'd rather spend a night at the CGK ibis rather than take AF Y again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.