Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

ST Lounge access on DL-operated VS-marketed flight?

Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, CC Gold, Accor Platinum

I was wondering: in a few months I have a Delta-operated flight from LHR to JFK. The flight, however is marketed (booked through) Virgin. I am now wondering if I can get lounge access with my FB-Gold?

The Skyteam website says the following:
SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card.
Seems pretty solid. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Yes - you'll be able to access the T4 Skyteam lounge!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by suvayanr
I disagree. The OP being booked under VS flight number and VS is neither a FB partner nor a Skyteam member, it means no lounge access in this case, unfortunately.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I disagree. The OP being booked under VS flight number and VS is neither a FB partner nor a Skyteam member, it means no lounge access in this case, unfortunately.
Thanks guys for answering! You leave me a little confused, however. Is any of you speaking out of experience? @Goldorak: If you're right, that would mean that the information at the Skyteam-website is incorrect (or unclear at least). Right?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by frequentflyingdutchman
Thanks guys for answering! You leave me a little confused, however. Is any of you speaking out of experience? @Goldorak: If you're right, that would mean that the information at the Skyteam-website is incorrect (or unclear at least). Right?
If the flight is marketed by non-Skyteam airline it is not a Sky Team flight. The website seems accurate to me because it is only about Sky Team flights.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I don't speak by personal experience in this particular case (VS/DL/FB) but by experience and knowledge of the Skyteam rules. As you purchased your ticket through VS, it's not anymore a Skyteam flight. But I agree that the website wording is confusing because they use the word "operating". So you might want to fight a bit by showing them a printout of the website, but I'm not optimistic at all.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:09 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Hmm, IMO you'll check in at LHR at the DL counter for a DL operated flight. So you'll get a DL BP most probably with a DL flight number instead of your booked VS codeshare flight number. Thus IMO the chances for lounge access are quite good.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Hmm, IMO you'll check in at LHR at the DL counter for a DL operated flight. So you'll get a DL BP most probably with a DL flight number instead of your booked VS codeshare flight number. Thus IMO the chances for lounge access are quite good.
Thanks for the info! I tweeted to @DeltaAssist with the question and got a very unexpected answer:

In order for SkyTeam Elite Plus members to access this lounge, they must be traveling in BusinessElite or Business Class and will no longer be allowed access if traveling in Economy Class. *RB 2/2

It would be very strange if this were true, wouldn't it? What sense does it still make to have ST Elite Plus if they take away Lounge access in certain skyteam lounges?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
It would be very strange if this were true, wouldn't it? What sense does it still make to have ST Elite Plus if they take away Lounge access in certain skyteam lounges?
AFAIK, DL/VS flights LHR-JFK now depart from LHR/T3. This is entirely separate from LHR/T4, so there is no opportunity to access the SkyTeam lounge in T4. In T3, I assume Delta use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse - and as that is not a 'Skyteam' lounge, and Delta no longer give third party lounge access to even their own Elite Plus, I doubt that the OP will get in...
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
In my experience in case of code-shares , DL BP consistently displays primarily the marketing carrier code (i.e. the code-share) and secondarily the operating carrier code. But even if it was showing the DL (operating) code, the problem will occur at the lounge entrance when the BP will be scanned.

Thanks for the info! I tweeted to @DeltaAssist with the question and got a very unexpected answer:

If your flight departs from T4, this answer is wrong because it's a Skyteam lounge. If from T3, then this answer is unfortunately right
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KQ321
AFAIK, DL/VS flights LHR-JFK now depart from LHR/T3. This is entirely separate from LHR/T4, so there is no opportunity to access the SkyTeam lounge in T4. In T3, I assume Delta use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse - and as that is not a 'Skyteam' lounge, and Delta no longer give third party lounge access to even their own Elite Plus, I doubt that the OP will get in...
Originally Posted by Goldorak
In my experience in case of code-shares , DL BP consistently displays primarily the marketing carrier code (i.e. the code-share) and secondarily the operating carrier code. But even if it was showing the DL (operating) code, the problem will occur at the lounge entrance when the BP will be scanned.

If your flight departs from T4, this answer is wrong because it's a Skyteam lounge. If from T3, then this answer is unfortunately right
Ah, that explains it. I was assuming it to leave from T4.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.