Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Has Shanghai Airlines Left Skyteam? Why does skyteam.com not mention FM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold

Why doesn't skyteam.com list Shanghai Airlines (FM) as a member?
http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/Our-members/
shows 20 airlines but not FM.

However, the press release in 2010, http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/P...rt-of-SkyTeam/ explicitly states that FM will become a Skyteam member (no mention of affiliate member status either.
China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines merged in February 2009. In June 2010 China Eastern signed an agreement to join SkyTeam. As a result, both Shanghai-based airlines are scheduled to join SkyTeam in 2011.
After the effective entry in 2011, Shanghai Airlines and its parent company China Eastern will increase the SkyTeam presence in the region as their combined networks add up to that of Guangzhou-based member China Southern. China Airlines, based in Taipei, is also expected to join the alliance in the same period. Together, these four members will cement SkyTeam’s No. 1 position in the Greater China region. China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines will add 32 new destinations to the SkyTeam network.
The MU page (http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/O...China-Eastern/) does not make any mention of Shanghai Airlines either.

Did FM formally leave Skyteam, or switch their level of membership? I am trying to book an Alitalia award with one segment on FM but the AZ phone rep insisted they could not book it.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Interesting question... The MU page on the SkyTeam website does in fact mention Shanghai Airlines, but only in passing:

Originally Posted by SkyTeam - China Eastern
Based in Shanghai, China Eastern and its daughter company Shanghai Airlines operate a modern fleet with an average age of less than 7 years.
I can't work out whether FM is an arms-length subsidiary of MU, that was not included in the alliance in the end - or whether FM is now so closely integrated into MU, that it doesn't warrant a separate listing as an SkyTeam member.

Anyhow, as it seems you're trying to book a Millemiglia award, the real question is whether FM is a partner for Millemiglia.

They are listed as a partner for earning:

Originally Posted by Millemiglia - China Eastern
Miles can also be earned by flying with Shanghai Airlines, a subsidiary of China Eastern.
And they are also mentioned in the Millemiglia award chart:
Flights up to 1,500 miles within China, only by China Airlines, China Southern, China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines: 25/40
This implies that, at least in some circumstances, it is possible to book Millemiglia award tickets on FM... However, folks on the Alitalia forum might be better placed to advise on the specifics.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KQ321
Interesting question... The MU page on the SkyTeam website does in fact mention Shanghai Airlines, but only in passing:

I can't work out whether FM is an arms-length subsidiary of MU, that was not included in the alliance in the end - or whether FM is now so closely integrated into MU, that it doesn't warrant a separate listing as an SkyTeam member.
Anyhow, as it seems you're trying to book a Millemiglia award, the real question is whether FM is a partner for Millemiglia.
I wish they were so integrated that they used MU flight numbers
I noted both the earnings capability and the tangential reference in the award chart (in a footnote regarding intra-China flights) on my question on the AZ forum...AZ agents are hard enough to deal with and explaining all of this is even more so.

AF Flying blue explicitly mentions both MU and FM for both earning and spending miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.