Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Delta gold JFK-CDG; perks on AF vs on Delta when booking through Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying r/t CDG-JFK in June. If I book through Delta, I'm given a choice of multiple code share nonstops. Some operated by Delta, some by Air France. No price difference.

I have had some luck with free upgrades to comfort seating, and even to Business, on Delta flights with Delta gold. I have not flown AF since getting Delta gold.

I like the idea of flying AF, if only for the better food. (At least, that used to be true.) But do I reduce or eliminate my chances of any upgrade? For that matter, could a Delta gold ever get a free upgrade to AF Premium Economy?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Delta Gold elites have explicit benefits for economy comfort. AF's premium economy product is its own separate cabin, very different from Delta's EC. As a Delta gold, you are unlikely to get seated there, and certainly extremely unlikely to get upgraded to Business. Being upgraded on Delta to Business is very unusual and was likely an op-up (when coach is oversold), not an elite benefit.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Delta Gold elites have explicit benefits for economy comfort. AF's premium economy product is its own separate cabin, very different from Delta's EC. As a Delta gold, you are unlikely to get seated there, and certainly extremely unlikely to get upgraded to Business. Being upgraded on Delta to Business is very unusual and was likely an op-up (when coach is oversold), not an elite benefit.
I realize the upgrade to business was an op-up. Not an elite benefit except I assume golds are more likely to be given the op-up than not golds.

In any case, you've answered my question. Not that economy comfort is much better than economy, but at least it's possible. Likely I'll select the Delta flight.

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
If you'd like to have the counterpart of DL's "better economy" with a different airline, you have to fly KL.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
If you'd like to have the counterpart of DL's "better economy" with a different airline, you have to fly KL.
But that will not be free, just a 50% discount.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
But that will not be free, just a 50% discount.
TATL EC on either DL or KLM for a DL GM is 50% off, but there have been reported problems with getting the discount and having seat assignments stick on KLM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.