Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Best skyteam business class seat to Europe

Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Which would be the most comfortable, flat-bed business seat between Delta, KLM, Air France, Al Italia, and anyone else I'm forgetting? How about the food?

I am planning a trip to northern Europe and anticipate needing to connect anyway, so would like to spend the TATL segment as comfortable as possible, with little regard to the gateway cities used.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt

Delta uses the same seat as LX, OS and SN (if not the same very similar)
Alitalia uses the same seat as TG on the A380's and I belive OZ as well, personally I'd go with Alitalia for the seat and catering, plus the service is pretty good and the A330 is a reliably smooth and pretty quiet ride.

Last edited by rafi2k6; Jan 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

agree that the Alitalia seats are phenomenal, as is the food. Lounges arent too great. Delta is #2.

Aeroflot believe it or not has a great seat in Business on its new planes. far better than Ux, AF, and KL. (UX is Air Europa)

not skyteam, but Virgin Atlantic is a Delta partner and its upper class probably beats them all.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
I wonder how I might go about booking an itinerary that has a domestic Delta segment, then a Virgin Atlantic TATL, and then an intra-European Skyteam partner to, for example, Brussels. Presumably, the last intra-European bit would require a hub connection like AMS or CDG, etc?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG

Did TATL business class flight with AZ, ORD-FCO and while the outgoing segment had the new lie flat seats (mini cabins) like the ones on EK 380, the return was the old Air One aircraft with old style J. So when you are booking make sure you are getting the new aircraft . .
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by kamadzu4
I wonder how I might go about booking an itinerary that has a domestic Delta segment, then a Virgin Atlantic TATL, and then an intra-European Skyteam partner to, for example, Brussels. Presumably, the last intra-European bit would require a hub connection like AMS or CDG, etc?
Yeah that would be a pain in the butt. I think most people would suggest flying to BRU nonstop on DL over that (or to CDG or AMS on DL).

On the Virgin Atlantic website, you'd be able to book the first two legs. You might be able to do the full trip on something like Orbitz.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
agree that the Alitalia seats are phenomenal, as is the food. Lounges arent too great. Delta is #2.

Aeroflot believe it or not has a great seat in Business on its new planes. far better than Ux, AF, and KL. (UX is Air Europa)

not skyteam, but Virgin Atlantic is a Delta partner and its upper class probably beats them all.
Virgin Upperclass is very nice, and has some really fantastic lounges I am not sure though I would pick it over Delta. Virgin is trying to portray a different image, which I am not too fond of. I would not fly Alitalia personally, I have read too many articles about their lack of proper a/c maintenance. KLM has very nice service in my experience, could be worth a try.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 pm

ive flown Alitalia business 6 or 7 times, and never had an a/c problem. it's one of those airlines that people tend to criticize if they haven't flown, but not if they have. Until KLM has completed installing it's new business class seats, it's not in the same league as DL/VS/AZ
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
ive flown Alitalia business 6 or 7 times, and never had an a/c problem. it's one of those airlines that people tend to criticize if they haven't flown, but not if they have. Until KLM has completed installing it's new business class seats, it's not in the same league as DL/VS/AZ
I meant maintenance of their planes. Its in the same league as AF, hopefully they've learned that delaying replacing pitot tubes as directed by manufacturer might not be a good idea...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Where are you originating from? Virgin is nice but you'll probably be flying out of JFK which is a pretty short flight in real biz class. It also means a shorter domestic DL flight to connect, then two domestic European flights in glorified coach class. Air France and KLM don't gave flat bed seats, so you should probably stick with DL, Alitalia, or VS. You should be able to book entirely through delta for a combination DL, VS, SkyTeam flights.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd look for the DL A330s with reconfigured flat bed 1-2-1 seats.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
BRU is easily accessible by train from CDG and AMS. To your exact question - you could try calling DL, AF or KL to have the ticket issued. Alternatively you can try sites like Expedia. Or just book via a travel agent.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
I am looking at a SFO-MUC routing next week, on the return my options seem to be either:

1) AF through CDG on the A380 (1:45 transit time)
2) KLM through AMS on what appears to be a 747 with the new J seats (1:10 transit time).

I did the AF A380 a few years ago, it was fine. is one of these options better, or are they very similar?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
AMS is much better than CDG. I, for one, prefer KL, but that's just my opinion.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:25 pm

Between AMS-SFO KL A332 or LHR-LAX DL 76W, which would be the best choice? Thanks ^
Aeroflot believe it or not has a great seat in Business on its new planes.
Are the 'new' planes only the SVO-JFK route, or also SVO-LAX? You'd really appreciate a nice 'new' plane after an 7 hour layover

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.