Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam Elite via Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:49 am
Original Poster

SkyTeam Elite via Credit Card

Okay so I'm generally a OW fan, but I have some China Southern Flights shortly and want to know if there is any credit card company that provides instant Elite or Elite Plus... pref not Amex at £450/year.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where are you based?

In the USA, the cheaper DL AmEx credit cards (probably free first year with some bonus DL miles) give a free checked bag and relatively early boarding, but not all of DL's lowest tier benefits.

To get enough DL status miles for instant elite status, you would not only need one of the more expensive cards, but also have to meet some spend thresholds. The timing might not be realistic.

SkyTeam Elite doesn't provide many benefits. For ElitePlus (50,000 status miles on DL and some but not all SkyTeam partner FF programs), you would need either an extraordinary sign up bonus and lots of spending on one of the more expensive DL AmEx cards or two (personal and business) cards at twice the fees while still meeting some spending thresholds.

To summarize, I don't think instant Elite or ElitePlus is realistic, but there might be other ways to get the elite benefits you want. What are you trying to accomplish? Note that if your travel is long haul business class, status will not noticeably improve your traveling experience, but it might help in IROPs.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by manders
Okay so I'm generally a OW fan, but I have some China Southern Flights shortly and want to know if there is any credit card company that provides instant Elite or Elite Plus... pref not Amex at £450/year.

Any ideas?
I doubt that there are, just like I doubt that there are any credit cards anywhere in the world (except maybe top level Amex charge cards) which provide instant Star Gold or OW Sapphire status (although if you know of any I'm sure all of FT will be keen to hear!).

There are Amex cards in the US which earn you credit towards status based on spend but based on the currency sign before your 450 you're probably based in Britain.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

yes uk based; in the UK only Amex Plat will give you OW Saphire, via Cathay. Thanks for the info.

Trying to get a little extra baggage allowance and fast tracking.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:13 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
How about flying to become a frequent flier? (I know, i have radical ideas )
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AmEx Centurion US version used to give DL elite status, IIRC GM when PM was top tier. I don't know whether they still do or whether the British Centurion would offer an equivalent perk, but the annual fee is far above the OP's figure and in addition a four-figure initiation fee tends to be required.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AmEx Centurion US version used to give DL elite status, IIRC GM when PM was top tier. I don't know whether they still do or whether the British Centurion would offer an equivalent perk, but the annual fee is far above the OP's figure and in addition a four-figure initiation fee tends to be required.
Amex Centurion gives you instant Platinum Medallion status on Delta.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by dmorbust
Amex Centurion gives you instant Platinum Medallion status on Delta.
Issued in which country? The OP is in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.