Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

skyteam best award upgrade planning for trip from New York to Shanghai or Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

skyteam best award upgrade planning for trip from New York to Shanghai or Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

hi All,

what ideas are out there for the best deal on award upgrade - or - miles and $$ for travel from New York to China - Shanghai / Beijing.

i can also originate in ANY other US city - east coast or west coast.

i have lots of points with Skyteam and AMEX.

tnx in advance for the help and assistance
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Albatross01
i have lots of points with Skyteam and AMEX.
Sorry, but you don't have points with SkyTeam. SkyTeam isn't a frequent flyer program, it's an alliance of carriers that have their own programs (or a shared program like Flying Blue). Rules for redemption are specific to the program in which you have your miles.

There are several ways to fly JFK-PEK or PVG in Business class on SkyTeam carriers.

China Eastern JFK-PVG non-stop

Delta several NYC airports (LGA/JFK/EWR/HPN) - Detroit - PVG or PEK

Delta JFK-Tokyo Narita-PVG or PEK

Korean Air JKF-ICN-PVG or PEK

Depending on the program one may also be able to fly:

Air France JFK-Paris - PEK or PVG

KLM JFK-Amsterdam - PVG or PEK
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

best option for award / upgrade from US to Shanghai

hello 3Cforme,

thank you for the quick reply.
you are correct, of course, by Skyteam I meant Flying Blue for KLM / AF and Delta Medallion.

which ones offer the "best deal" either directly or through a partner ?

is it better to originate in Europe and just pay for an upgrade on the US Europe segemnt. on my last trip to Europe that was relatively inexpensive 32,500 points + 245 USD for a BIZ upgrade from an economy ticket.

tnx again
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Albatross01
hello 3Cforme,

thank you for the quick reply.
you are correct, of course, by Skyteam I meant Flying Blue for KLM / AF and Delta Medallion.

which ones offer the "best deal" either directly or through a partner ?

is it better to originate in Europe and just pay for an upgrade on the US Europe segemnt. on my last trip to Europe that was relatively inexpensive 32,500 points + 245 USD for a BIZ upgrade from an economy ticket.

tnx again
When using DL miles, you can upgrade on DL operated flights from M B Y fares if Z inventory class is available. The rules for using DL miles to upgrade on AF or KLM are similar but irrelevant as DL doesn't permit Asia routing through Europe except in IROPs, so that purchasing a ticket this way would probably be very expensive and charged as two separate upgrades in each direction.

You can also use DL miles for SkyTeam upgrades on most partners, but these generally require FULL Y class fares and cannot be done on days that DL has blacked out for award tickets on that carrier. The latter rule is especially restrictive on KE flights.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
As a general rule of thumb for upgrading: you typically get the best deal if you upgrade a flight on the airline that owns your FFP. So if upgrades are your priority you should choose the FFP of the airline you typically fly with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.