FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   Booking mistake with Air France KLM. Please help!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/1285057-booking-mistake-air-france-klm-please-help.html)

SeeTheWorld1984 Nov 28, 2011 1:20 am

Booking mistake with Air France KLM. Please help!!

Hi guys!

Just need some advice! Before anyone says yes I know it's my fault!

I made a booking a week back from Birmingham to Delhi on KLM via Amsterdam. I found a really good offer on a travel agency website and booked it but the website crashed! The booking did not go through and so I tried again, however in my frustration and rush I booked the wrong connecting flight! I now have a 10 hour stopover in Amsterdam instead of a 55 minute one!!

I've spoken to both the travel agency and KLM and they have said it's my own fault, as it's a special fare and I can't change it!!

Any suggestions?? I really don't want to sit in the Crown Lounge at AMS for 10 hours!

LizzyDragon84 Nov 28, 2011 1:25 am

If it were me, I'd use the error as a chance to get out and explore Amsterdam for a few hours.

agehall Nov 28, 2011 1:40 am

There are far worse places than AMS to be stuck for 10h. Just go into town for a few hours and do some sightseeing.

cityflyer369 Nov 28, 2011 3:42 am

[QUOTE=agehall;17525310]There are far worse places than AMS to be stuck for 10h. Just go into town for a few hours and do some sightseeing.[/QUOTE
I agree. Amsterdam is really a cool place to explore.

Xandrios Nov 28, 2011 4:36 am

I think you are out of luck here. If the ticket rules do not allow changes, you will be stuck with the current routing and timing.

Aside from that I would say that your desired routing is a risky one...55 minute transfer time to longhaul is very short imho.

SeeTheWorld1984 Nov 29, 2011 1:39 am

Oh well! Suppose it's my own fault! I'll try and ask them at Delhi, to see if they can put me on the earlier flight if they have free seats. Hopefully they'll be kinder than there call centre staff!

nicolas75 Dec 1, 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84 (Post 17525289)
If it were me, I'd use the error as a chance to get out and explore Amsterdam for a few hours.

+1

Are 55 minutes for connection a bit too tight?

KissFlyGoodbye Dec 1, 2011 7:13 pm

It is quite easy to go into town from AMS. It's like a 30 minute train ride and with 10 hours, I'm sure you will find lots to do in Amsterdam. Quite a fun city IMHO.

hfly Dec 1, 2011 8:01 pm

It is unlikely that you can get it changed, I would guess that the conditions of your fare do not allow such changes, hence why you are asking here. The only thing you might want to try and only if you are travelling carry-on only is that if you arrive with enough time, try going to the transfer desk and see if they would be willing to put you on the earlier flight, you may get lucky inasmuch as they may have a potential overbooking situation on the later flight, some sort of irrops that they expect or other extenuating circumstance whereby it would be in their favour to put you on an earlier flight. Otherwise you are out of luck.

raistlin Dec 4, 2011 10:51 am

Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984 (Post 17525277)
Any suggestions?? I really don't want to sit in the Crown Lounge at AMS for 10 hours!

At 27, you are REALLY considering to spend 10 hours at the airport, instead of exploring one of the nicest cities in Europe? :-)

Get out, jump on the train, spend 6 hours in the city and go back. Lazy scoundrel!

Aviatrix Dec 8, 2011 8:53 am

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 17564617)
At 27, you are REALLY considering to spend 10 hours at the airport, instead of exploring one of the nicest cities in Europe? :-)

Get out, jump on the train, spend 6 hours in the city and go back. Lazy scoundrel!

We don't know the OP's nationality, only his current place of residence. He may well need a visa to leave the airport.

raistlin Dec 8, 2011 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix (Post 17589249)
We don't know the OP's nationality, only his current place of residence. He may well need a visa to leave the airport.

He may well need a visa also to transit, what's the point of this observation exactly ? :-)

PVDtoDEL Dec 8, 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 17589453)
He may well need a visa also to transit, what's the point of this observation exactly ? :-)

Because for citizens of India, getting a visa is enough of a headache that sitting in an airport for 10 hours doesn't sound too bad...

Aviatrix Dec 8, 2011 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 17589453)

As it happens... if he is an Indian citizen resident in the UK then he doesn't need an airside transit visa (I guessed as much before, but have now checked)

Yaatri Dec 8, 2011 10:38 pm

A booking that's week old is not covered by the 24hour role, assuming KLM does observe that rule in Europe.
I have made such mistakes too, but haven't had to pay for those mistakes, as I discovered the mistake within minutes after booking and the 24 hour rule always came to rescue.

As luck would have it, minutes after reading this thread, I made a booking with KLM, on KLM,com and picked the wrong filghts on the inbound. I can live with the ones I chose.
I am on the phone with KLM (Actually Delta). The agent is trying to make the changes as we speak.

A week after the mistake is too long. NO one could help in that situation.