FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   Trying to Figure out DL KLM Extra Baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/1273998-trying-figure-out-dl-klm-extra-baggage.html)

Talvi Oct 29, 2011 12:20 am

Trying to Figure out DL KLM Extra Baggage

Hi. I've been a lurker for awhile reading the great advice on here - thank you!

I have only been a FF for the last two years. I live in Helsinki and fly to the US and Australia about 6 times a year. With this current trip to the US next week, I earn FB Gold.

I fly AF out but my leg from AMS to the US (and back) nearly always uses a DL plane. On the return flight starting out with DL (typically from BOS), I always have to pay $50 (now $70) for the second baggage.

Will my Gold status with AF (Sky Team Elite) finally give me the second baggage for free if starting the return leg on a DL flight?

Also frustrating is that I always have to pay the baggage fee for my US flights as well (I have 3-4 day stays in 4-5 locations in the US). Will the Gold status (SK Elite+) finally mean I don't have to pay that fee either?

I had hoped that the new Sky Team "uniform baggage policy across carriers" last month would end these extra expenses. But it seems like nearly all DL flights are exempted from it?

I qualified for FB Gold by segments. I have an option to go Delta but it looks like it would be best to stay with FB instead?

Thanks for your help. This has been driving me nuts figuring out the labrynthian policy for baggage. KLM hasn't exactly been very helpful.

pbarnette Oct 29, 2011 2:41 am

All the information you need is here:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp

Short answer is that for the trip to and from the US, you get 2 x 23kg. For the intra-US flights you get 2 x 32kg.

The relevant sections are:

For travel within or between the United States and Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico and all travel to Brazil: SkyMiles Medallion® Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond members, Million Milers, SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling in Economy may check up to two bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each at no charge on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights. The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.*
and

For all other travel regions: SkyMiles Diamond, Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion® members, Million Milers, SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling in First or Business class may check three bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg). In Economy class, SkyMiles Diamond, Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members, Million Milers, SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling outside the US, Canada or Brazil will be allowed two or three bags up to 50 lbs (23 kg) depending on the standard cabin allowance. The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.*
As an FYI, you will get better traction on these sort of questions by asking in the relevant airline forums (in this case, Delta). The alliance forums are generally pretty quiet.

Talvi Oct 29, 2011 3:28 am

Thank you for your reply - I appreciate it.

It's been difficult to figure out exactly what exceptions apply to Delta for Sky Team Elite and Elite +. I wish KLM flew out of BOS. :) Online check in still wants to charge me for the second bag on the Delta side of the flights.

michael9 Nov 14, 2011 12:20 am

My personal experience says that it takes some time, say a week, before the status change takes effect.

Delta is knows that there system doesn't work very well at the moment.
I always check-in at the "first" desk at the airport and it always works.