Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

CS Excess size baggage - charges and service???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

Hi,

I am bicycling in Australia and flew here on CX. Unfortunately for me CX allows only 20 kg in economy and then charges $30/kg for excess baggage. I had to bring extra bike equipment so sent it by air cargo. Bad move as it cost almost twice as much as the equipment originally cost - after paying brokerage fees and customs fees at both ends. NO one said there would be those extra costs when I bought my CX ticket.

So, I have learned.... painfully.

OTOH, next year I return for another trip and note that CZ has more reasonable excess piece and excess weight fees for baggage over the 23kg limit. In addition, their economy airfare is comparable with CX.

I will have 2 pieces of about 25 kg and 20kg. The 25 kg piece is also bigger than usual.

So, here are my questions:
1. With such excess baggage is there any extra fee that must be paid at airports to brokers/Australian customs?
2. Would such baggage arrive in Sydney when I do?
3. What is CZ service like in regular economy?
4. Is it worth paying extra for premium economy on CZ? It certainly is when I fly BA - my usual airline.

Thanks in advance. ^

Last edited by tmac100; Jun 21, 2011 at 5:35 am
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Do you mean CZ?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Do you mean CZ?
Yes. My mistake. Apparently China Southern = CZ and NOT CS

Now that that detail is taken care of, I hope there are answers to my questions
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by tmac100
Yes. My mistake. Apparently China Southern = CZ and NOT CS

Now that that detail is taken care of, I hope there are answers to my questions
You will be amazed that CZ offers really good service in Y, I don't know what to say about W, but I'd imagine that if you get a good deal, it's worth it. CZ is usually flying a 772ER to SYD from CAN, so plenty of W seats. As far as your bags are concerned, I think they will arrive on the same plane with you as long as the bigger piece is not too big (volume wize).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
You might want to take a look at this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...61-lb-bag.html

Service is decent, generally one of the better carriers of Mainland China, but certainly not close to the 'premium' carriers, i.e. CX, SQ. It also appears that the Economy Class configuration they use for their 772ERs is 3-4-3, a bit tight compared to the usual 3-3-3, and for Premium Economy, I think it's 2-3-2.

From http://www.businesstraveller.com/asi...onomy-seats-on, it appears what is offered in Premium Economy is pretty good. Do make sure that you're flying the 772ER and not the A330, which reviewers seem to highly criticize.

Last edited by toyotaboy95; Jun 21, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.