Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt Scams??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2007, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Add to this the permanent short filling of the tank, just enough to reach the F gauge and resulting in a 10 liter (3 Gal.) topping when I rent a car for the weekend and drive only 20 miles...
Unfortunately, this is because the previous renter was cheap. I experience the very same at pretty much every station I rent, no matter where or which rental company.

I experimented with this myself. I topped off several cars to the very limit in Calabasas. Arriving at LAX (35 miles), the gauge was still at F. Add the 20 miles you drive, and the 3 gal. pretty much figure
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:53 pm

....Add to this the permanent short filling of the tank, just enough to reach the F gauge and resulting in a 10 liter (3 Gal.) topping when I rent a car for the weekend and drive only 20 miles... you get the picture. To make it short I call it highway robbery on a regular basis.
I actually have very good experiences with Sixt. And the Sixt service people in Rostock are very helpful.

OT: Reg. full tank. I always used to fill the tank right after I picked up the car and kept the receipt.
Last week I did *NOT* do this ... and it gave me some headaches. I was driving Alligator Alley (I-75) from Naples to Ft. Lauderdale (=120 Miles or so) About half the way - and there are no gas stations - the gauche was still F! So, maybe the gauche was not working .... and the tank could be almost empty ... luckily all turned out to be fine.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by mclain
Thanks, everyone, for your input and advice.

Still no response from Sixt, which only seems to strengthen my arguement that this is a scam. Will let you know what happens in the long run.

Sorry to hear that others are also having problems with Sixt, but at least it indicates that I'm not being singled out!
OK, all you guys complaining...
If you feel that sixt is not giving you the service and prices you expect, then I guess you have to change to europcar... (as hertz and avis are out of question because of high prices)
then you really get to know what unfriendly service and extra charge for gas is causing you trouble, even if you have the signature of a europcar employee on the contract saying that the car is not full.

I am surprised about all these complains going into a similar direction with extra charge for cleaning...
I have probably 50 rentals a year on very different stations, company rate as well as private over the weekend.
I have never heard of an extra charge for cleaning even though sometimes I return the car quite dirty (not on purpose!)

However, I would like to give an example of my last 4 weekends. booked CPMR at the airport (DUS/TXL) for 69,31e:
VW Beetle convertible, X3 2.0d fully equipped, Z4 3.0si, a4 2.0tdi

Maybe somebody can make a list at which stations these extra costs occur... DUS, MUC and TXL cannot be on the list as I am renting there frequently and never have problems.

and if you change to europcar that leaves more z4 to me for 69e I wont even mind if they chrage 15e for cleaning
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:23 am
Ben

Programs: SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Kempinski Private,HH Gold,Interconti Plat,Sofitel Gold,AmEx Cent, Sixt Plat
I can fully agree with your experiences, sixtisbest.

Originally Posted by FTL from FTL
I do sometimes get charged for extra cleaning, although their standard amount for that is 40 Euros.
What do you mean with "standard amount"? 40 EUR?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:52 am

Programs: LH M&M; UA M+; Sixt; Hilton Honors; *wood; Steigenberger; LHW; Kempinski Private Concierge
Originally Posted by Ben
I can fully agree with your experiences, sixtisbest.

What do you mean with "standard amount"? 40 EUR?
I got charged a couple of times exactly this amount for interiour and/or exterior extra cleaning at different stations and got told by customer service in Rostock that this is indeed the common charge if they have a third party company do the cleaning.

My 2 cents,

Felix
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
I have only used Sixt a few times, but in each case did an international pre-pay for rentals in South Africa.

The team in JNB is a franchise and the service has been good to date.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: M&M
Had the cleaning-problem with Europcar once in Italy but not in Germany and not with Sixt. Europcar told me that - in the Milan case - they write it in the contract that a cleaning-fee is charged after every rental. Unless it was only 2 € I didn´t care but nobody of the agents told me something about that.

Sixt once charged me fuel @FRA airport station but after I called them they thanked me for my complaint and told me that it happened more often the last days and that they think that they station tries to cheat them. No problem with getting the money back.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Thumbs down

As I am casually checking my credit card statement today, I find a 80 euros charge separate from my last rental and 4 days later. No warning, no authorization, no reason given, and the only feasible one is to repair a minor damage which I noticed and reported in writing as I was taking the car. I am of course disputing the charge, the beauty being that nobody at Sixt can give me the slightest explanation about the reason for the charge.

And you call this almost flawless service ?
This is getting better and better...

I just found out (rental at CDG this morning) that the 80 euros charge is a "no show" charge for an "early bird" fare which I did not pick up at Paris/Orly on May 31, when what happened (acknowledged by Sixt as received and documented but "we cannot do anything about it") is that I signaled in writing 24 hours in advance that my flight was changed and arrived at the same date and time at Paris -CDG instead of ORY. I did of course pick up the car in time and date at CDG but it was treated as a walk-up new rental."An early bird rental at Orly is at Orly, non cancellable, non moveable and non refundable, period". This is going to court if necessary, guys.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Jul 31, 2007 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:49 am

This is getting better and better...

I did of course pick up the car in time and date at CDG but it was treated as a walk-up new rental."An early bird rental at Orly is at Orly, non cancellable, non moveable and non refundable, period". This is going to court if necessary, guys.
if you would have simply went to cdg telling sixt that airline changed your schedule I am 100% sure they wouldnt have said anything and simply moved. I saw that happening at txl and they didnt complain and he had a prebooked tariff through some agency.

Dont want to defend sixt here that much, but seriously, go to europcar and hertz and see what they are doing.
after 5 rentals with hertz this year 1 of them was right and didnt get corrected.

btw, just send the bill to the airline who changed the plan. unless its ryainair, easyjet etc. they will pay for it.

Last edited by sixtisbest; Aug 1, 2007 at 9:58 am
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by sixtisbest
...btw, just send the bill to the airline who changed the plan. unless its ryainair, easyjet etc. they will pay for it.

...and pigs will fly ...
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:33 am

if you would have simply went to cdg telling sixt that airline changed your schedule I am 100% sure they wouldnt have said anything and simply moved.

Well, Mr 100% sure, you lose, as I DID and THEY DIDN'T. Who do you think I am, Al Gore ? I may not have invented the internet but I usually go through the basics before I complain, if only because it saves time and aggravation
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:04 am

Well, Mr 100% sure, you lose, as I DID and THEY DIDN'T. Who do you think I am, Al Gore ? I may not have invented the internet but I usually go through the basics before I complain, if only because it saves time and aggravation
The "basics in the internet" will also tell you that the tariff you booked with sixt was not changeable.
I know its not your fault that the airline changes the destination/time, however, youre the one who booked an unchangable tariff, so in my opinion sixt is eligible to charge you for that.
However, it seems strange to me that they didnt agree to any compensation as you booked and paid for another car at the same time.

I would write a letter to the customer service (in paper, not email). Usually they pay more attention to that.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:40 am

I would write a letter to the customer service (in paper, not email). Usually they pay more attention to that.

The basics of the internet for car rentals equal all airports serving the same city as one and only station, i.e. ORY and CDG should not have raised a problem. Since we are at it, what about segregating between terminals at the same airport, since the stations (desks and parking lots) are different ?

Also, your intimate knowledge of the tariff I used, as well as your handle, suggest that you may have more to do with Sixt than a passing customer. Should that be the case, please advise them that even more than a letter, claims made to the Secretariat d'Etat a la Consommation, a cross equivalent of the US Better Business Bureau and small claims court, have even more weight than a written complaint, emailed or post-mailed.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Aug 3, 2007 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:43 am

The basics of the internet for car rentals equal all airports serving the same city as one and only station, i.e. ORY and CDG should not have raised a problem.
Also, your intimate knowledge of the tariff I used, as well as your handle, suggest that you may have more to do with Sixt than a passing customer. .
1. I dont understand why 2 different airports of a city should be handled as one. The cars are at one airport and the rental company plans for that.

2. I may be not only a passing customer with 2 rentals a week, but I wanted to point out here, that so far any dispute with sixt could be resolved in a normal manner and this is clearly not the case with hertz and europcar.

However, I admit that I have heard many times that Sixt at CDG is very bad, particularly because of different parkhouses in the different terminals and the car you want is always in a different terminal.

Example of sixt and hertz: For CPMR at sixt I got a z4, a4, x3, crossfire. Hertz told me for a c class rental (FDAR) that they only have a focus cmax without automatic in stock and that they were thinking about calling me to cancel my reservation because they didnt have any cars. And this to a hertz gold customer! btw, the rate for the focus was 1€ less than what the merc would have been.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Sixt Scams?

Well- today a good ending to the Sixt "scam" complaint::
An e mail saying they were sorry for the "confusion" and they are refunding the additional charges to our credit card. No explaination as to what the "confusion" was, nor why it took so long, but in the end they did what was right, which is what is important.

Thanks again to all who posted about this, and I hope Sixt will make your complaints right, too. Sadly, it seems keeping Sixt ( and other car rental agencies as well ) honest may be something we all have to work at, but this seems to prove that challenging them rather than letting them get away with these extra charges is the way to proceed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.