FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sixt | Sixt Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sixt-sixt-card-690/)
-   -   Sixt Holiday Car vs Car Rental (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sixt-sixt-card/692125-sixt-holiday-car-vs-car-rental.html)

denrusso May 11, 2007 12:27 pm

Sixt Holiday Car vs Car Rental

What is the difference between the two? The Holiday Car is a much better price, but I have to prepay (not a problem for me). I was quoted on the website 583 euro for a mercedes SLK convertible (code Z8) for one week in June from their Malaga Airport, Spain location. I have seen similar cars from U.S. car rental companies cost aprox. $1,700 for the same period. This deal seems to good to be true.

Also, with this car being relatively small, will I be able to exchange it if my luggage does not fit??

Any input here is greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance!!

dr

Ben May 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Welcome to flyertalk, denrusso!

There´s no difference, the name "holiday cars" is used, because Sixt was originally founded in Germany, hence every station outside Germany is a holiday-station. ;)

Due to the retractable hardtop, you will have problems storing your luggage in that small SLK trunk. A change depends on the availability of other cars in that group.

sixtisbest May 12, 2007 11:19 am

[QUOTE=Ben;7722550]Welcome to flyertalk, denrusso!

There´s no difference, the name "holiday cars" is used, because Sixt was originally founded in Germany, hence every station outside Germany is a holiday-station. ;)

QUOTE]

I dont fully agree with that.
a car from sixt in a foreign country is from sixt because they have a station there. a holiday car can be from a different agency and sixt is only acting as an intermediary, this may be the case even if they have a station at this particular airport.

I had an slk last week... please think again if you really want that car :-) the boot is ridiculously small. for one person maybe fine, for 2? impossible. however, just take the luggage from the aiport to the hotel with the closed roof and then it should work as you arent driving around your luggage everyday.

maybe they dont have a slk, but give you a 3series convertible....

mark.ie May 14, 2007 6:18 am

Holiday cars are the exact same as normal sixt car rentals from the same place. Where Sixt don't have a normal car rental outlet, I'm not so sure.

From what I can make out, the Holiday Cars, are all-inclusive, includes all fees taxes and other charges, and carry no insurance risk to the renter. They often have better types of cars in the Holiday Cars range.

totti May 15, 2007 2:10 am

Originally Posted by mark.ie (Post 7733092)
Holiday cars are the exact same as normal sixt car rentals from the same place. Where Sixt don't have a normal car rental outlet, I'm not so sure.

There is no real difference between "Sixt Holiday cars" and "Sixt International cars" offers. Generally Sixts uses the same cars for both programs. But quite often they offer more better groups when using the normal Sixt international rental. There is no difference if Sixt has own agencies there or not, e.g. if yoou rent with SIxt in Spain (mainland) they use Atesa for both, Sixt holiday cars and normal rentals. So this is not the point.

From what I can make out, the Holiday Cars, are all-inclusive, includes all fees taxes and other charges, and carry no insurance risk to the renter. They often have better types of cars in the Holiday Cars range.
Yes, Holiday cars are normally all in and normally it is a prepaid offer. Quite often they also have a minimum booking time e.g. one week. But as pointed out above at least in my experience it's alsways the other way round - you get better cars when renting with Sixt international.

Another difference is that you get your standard discount e.g. Sixt Plat 35% off when using the normal Sixt international offers but you'll only get 15% for holiday cars. That does not meant that holiday cars are more expencive. If comprehensive collision coverage is covered by your CC and you don't want to rent for a whole week, the normal Sixt international offer is the way to go IMHO.

Cheers
totti

SuperFlyBoy May 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by totti (Post 7738626)
Another difference is that you get your standard discount e.g. Sixt Plat 35% off when using the normal Sixt international offers but you'll only get 15% for holiday cars.

Hi Totti,

Just went through the USA and Germany website of Sixt and noted no details of Platinum levels anymore - have they eliminated this level?

I was comped to Plat last year, as a 1K with United, but only rented once, for about 4 weeks...will have to check if I am still active - any comments/guidance on this?

totti May 21, 2007 12:30 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 7768283)
Hi Totti,

Just went through the USA and Germany website of Sixt and noted no details of Platinum levels anymore - have they eliminated this level?

I was comped to Plat last year, as a 1K with United, but only rented once, for about 4 weeks...will have to check if I am still active - any comments/guidance on this?

Hi SFB!

The vanished Plat Card comp was discussed in the Sixt thread page #11. You'll find more information there.

Normally Sixt hands out all it's card with a pretty long validity (~4 years). As you were just comped last year, your card should be still valid. Otherwise just call Sixt and ask for a new card.

Greetings
totti

flysurfer May 21, 2007 12:55 am

Originally Posted by denrusso (Post 7721565)
I was quoted on the website 583 euro for a mercedes SLK convertible (code Z8) for one week in June from their Malaga Airport, Spain location. I have seen similar cars from U.S. car rental companies cost aprox. $1,700 for the same period. This deal seems to good to be true.

You gotta be kidding. With a Platinum upgrade, you can get a SLK for 800 EUR in Germany for an entire month.

In the U.S., I rent a 350Z convertible for about US$430 (incl. all taxes & fees) a week at Hertz LAX. That's about EUR 320, and the 350Z is much more powerful and fun to drive than the rather underpowered 4 cylinder 2.0l SLKs Sixt is usually handing out in Germany.