Wiki Posts
Search

SIXT AMS airport -- bad experience

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 9:46 am
LYY
Original Poster

Unhappy SIXT AMS airport -- bad experience

Hi guys, I would like to share my bad experience for a car booking from SIXT / AMS airport.

I have booked a car from SIXT through Rentalcar.com with full prepaid, full protection and upon the trip is finished, today I received an e-mail from SIXT with an invoice attachment of 10 days Tire&Windscreen + Minimum excess L in total cost EUR241.10.

It surprised me very much as I didn't ever request for such, during car pick up the staff only informed me they changed the car model which my originally booked was not available, but never inform me or even let me choose if I really need such an expensive coverage! (where I already purchased the full protection!) Before leaving, the SIXT staff only show me the 19 damages listed, telling me I have the full coverage and no need to worry about it. More important she told me I am not necessary to pay additional charges, just simply return the car to car park!

Unfortunately, now they insisted with my signature on the rental agreement, I have to pay what was mentioned there. (you may also have the experiences of SIXT agreement which is a roll of thin paper which is very difficult to identify the message there when you just landed from a 10+ hours flight and in a hurry after queuing for more than 1/2 hours behind the 4 other customers, with 3 SIXT counters working in parallel -- excellent performance! compared with the other car rental company just locating next to it already cleared the queue of 10 customers!)

I have tried to reach their customer service Benelux team however after they sending me my copy of invoice (again) and the long rental paper copy, and explaining me what is the meanings of Tire&Windscreen + Minimum excess L, no further reply then.

This is my worst experience ever on my car rental from any other companies, and I still do not understand how possible the SIXT counter staff just add the 2 expensive protection without informing me or getting my consensus. In my point of view this is nothing more than cheating, playing tricks with customer's trust :

Booked a car --> SIXT staff add extra items "by mistake?"

--> If the customer discover the "mistake" -->you "may" receive an apology from SIXT counter staff and they will do correction

--> If the customer did not discover the "mistake" -->you will absolutely receive a surprise from SIXT when you returned home and destroy your good experience.

Finally I would recommend for those who have not ever book with SIXT, please re-consider or if there's no other choice, make sure to check carefully if SIXT staff add anything on your booking before you sign & leave. Once more, don't be hesitated to check and ask again and again, as once you leave please do not expect the SIXT CS team will help you!
Old May 15, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum, IHG: Spire, SIXT: Platinum
Hi LLY,

actually this happens quite often and I am also very annoyed by it.
Every time you rent a car with basic protection (or just liability) they try to "sell" the extra protection and do not really explain it.
This is a common thing to do of course, but they really draw this horror scenario and repeat 2-3 times that you "have no protection and will have to pay up to 20-30k in case of an accident" (whatever the car´s value is). I already contacted SIXT because they do it in such a sneaky way that you indeed sometimes accidentally choose an extra option. And like you said, if you are in a hurry or exhausted you do not check everything right away.

However, I have to say that every time I realized that I just booked an extra option I called the customer service right away and they said "we can not change it after you have signed it, but we will try" and eventually they always refunded me the extra amount. But I immediately called right after getting into the car.

Also, last week I asked an employee at the desk if they get kind of a commission when they sell this extra protection, because they are always so penetrating and she confirmed that they actually do get it, but "it is just for your own protection" blabla :P

When I asked SIXT if I can save in my profile that I never want any extra protection, they said that this is not possible.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of all the rental car agencies with which I've dealt, Sixt is definitely the worst of the lot in being extremely aggressive in fleecing customers with add-ons and rip-offs for rental car damage (even pre-existing damage).

It's only with Sixt that I have to be so extremely diligent about using photographic/video evidence and using time-stamps to protect myself from a major car rental company's scams. It's sort of unfortunate that Sixt is so bad in this regard, because their car fleet is usually more to my liking than their competitors.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:24 am
LYY
Original Poster

Surprises come everyday!!!

After quite a lot of e-mail exchanges with SIXT where I can really prove that it doesn't help, I got the reply from 4 x CS but none of them accepting their mis-behavior or any follow up on my complaint, just insist I have to pay what was mentioned in the paper. Eventually as I was booking through Rentalcar.com I started the channel through them. Fortunately they took up my complaint immediately and I believed they helped me to negotiate with SIXT behind the scene. In three days, I received Rentalcar.com's calls (in my local language) reply which they finally got an agreement SIXT will refund the overcharged items to me A few minutes later I received their e-mail confirmation with related refund document. ...Just a moment later I also received an e-mail from SIXT they refund the amount by stating : "Whenever possible we look for a solution that suits our customers", "With a gesture of goodwill". Apparently SIXT still thought their way of doing business is good enough in current world. Yes, they are successful, to scare their customer away!!!

When you think the story ended in this way and I can finally forget this company and have a rest? Unfortunately not!

Today I check my credit card again it appeared with another amount of EUR22.39, without any notice in advance! I believe I have to contact Rentalcar.com again for such as I really feel tired to play this game with SIXT !!!

I will share my humble advise to all my friends and parents, not to book with SIXT unless you have no other choice in the entire market !!!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Was trying what Sixt calls "self service" for the first time at AMS. You only need your phone to unlock the car. I loved it, although that the experience get for ages in the US.

Anyway, on this particular instance, I have found the car to be completely filthy... it apparently escaped the eyes of the many people who handled the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.