Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Taking a car outside of permitted states

Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I decided to do a trip in June starting in Florida, driving north as far as Indiana and back down again, taking in approx 9 states. After much deliberation, decided on a Jaguar F-Type through Sixt at MCO - still waiting for them to confirm availability as too far in advance apparently, however I've just noticed that if you hire a car in Florida, you can only drive it in Florida, Georgia and Alabama without incurring a $0.50 per mile charge for each mile travelled outside of these states. My question is, has anyone else done similar and actually been charged? I'm assuming that GPS on the car will track it but wasn't sure if this charge is normally enforced?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:12 pm

There are numerous examples on FT of people who did just that and paid $3k in mileage fees. Why not do a one-way with the FL driveout specials with another company and fly back?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
There are numerous examples on FT of people who did just that and paid $3k in mileage fees. Why not do a one-way with the FL driveout specials with another company and fly back?
Just checked that out with Enterprise/Alamo and the driveout specials end the 31st May (I arrive 16 June). Will probably end up with a different company with no restrictions as the charges could be huge!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:26 am

The Avis/Budget FL driveout ends in late June. Have you tried that?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not having read every insurance policy in existence, I can say with some certainty that every policy I have seen makes it clear that the use of a rental in violation of its contract voids any coverage. This would apply to coverage on the vehicle and to your driving as well.

Ask around about what a minor scratch on a Jag will cost. Then ask what it costs to pay off the hospital bills for someone else if you are found to be at fault. $0.50/mile will seem cheap.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
The Avis/Budget FL driveout ends in late June. Have you tried that?
Thanks - didn't check those, but have now...Budget gave some great prices but when I added the insurance (I'm from the UK) the prices really weren't great.

I've got reservations with National/Hertz, so will look at upgrading at the desk as I don't think they have any restrictions on travelling through states?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:11 am

No, only the "discount" brands do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.