Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

My recent experience: PHX to SFO - A little disappointing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I booked a car from PCAR category (Mercedes-Benz CLA, Audi A3, Volvo s60, or BMW 228i) for my one way journey from Phoenix, AZ to San Francisco, CA. I made my reservation well in advance (more than one month). When I arrived to the Sixt airport location in Phoenix, I was told that they don't have any cars in the category that I reserved. Instead, I was offered an SUV (Cadillac SRX) which was nowhere close to the car I originally booked (small, sporty, and economical). I assume they had plenty of these cars on the lot and that's why I was offered one. I questioned whether they had something similar to the car category that I originally booked. Sixt associate told me that they had BMW 3-series (LCAR) but I would have to pay extra for it. I didn't want to pay anything extra and asked them to check for any other options and there were none. Then, they proceeded to ask whether I needed any extra insurance coverage (supplemental liability in particular). I declined, stating that I have my credit card / own car insurances. The associate then proceeded to tell me that if I took the extra liability insurance from them, I would be able to get the 3-series at "no extra charge". After a little back and forth, I felt that this was the only way to get the car that was close to the car category that I booked. So I had to take the extra liability insurance (approx. $100 for the duration of my rental) and pay extra.

Their whole approach left a bad taste in my mouth. They were trying to squeeze additional money from me any way they could. I've rented from Sixt many times in Europe but this was my first time dealing with them in US (since they don't have many locations here).

Note: Also, I contacted this branch a week in advance (through one of the Sixt representatives on this forum) and asked to specify my preferred car within that category on my reservation. I know this isn't guaranteed but this particular branch could care less about my preference within the reserved category, let alone the car category itself.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by homutovs
I booked a car from PCAR category (Mercedes-Benz CLA, Audi A3, Volvo s60, or BMW 228i) for my one way journey from Phoenix, AZ to San Francisco, CA. I made my reservation well in advance (more than one month). When I arrived to the Sixt airport location in Phoenix, I was told that they don't have any cars in the category that I reserved. Instead, I was offered an SUV (Cadillac SRX) which was nowhere close to the car I originally booked (small, sporty, and economical). I assume they had plenty of these cars on the lot and that's why I was offered one. I questioned whether they had something similar to the car category that I originally booked. Sixt associate told me that they had BMW 3-series (LCAR) but I would have to pay extra for it. I didn't want to pay anything extra and asked them to check for any other options and there were none. Then, they proceeded to ask whether I needed any extra insurance coverage (supplemental liability in particular). I declined, stating that I have my credit card / own car insurances. The associate then proceeded to tell me that if I took the extra liability insurance from them, I would be able to get the 3-series at "no extra charge". After a little back and forth, I felt that this was the only way to get the car that was close to the car category that I booked. So I had to take the extra liability insurance (approx. $100 for the duration of my rental) and pay extra.

Their whole approach left a bad taste in my mouth. They were trying to squeeze additional money from me any way they could. I've rented from Sixt many times in Europe but this was my first time dealing with them in US (since they don't have many locations here).

Note: Also, I contacted this branch a week in advance (through one of the Sixt representatives on this forum) and asked to specify my preferred car within that category on my reservation. I know this isn't guaranteed but this particular branch could care less about my preference within the reserved category, let alone the car category itself.

I've rented out of Phoenix. The gave me a 228i instead of a 4 series convertible (prepaid) and gave me a $10 credit So, first lesson is, sixt's inventory system is completely unreliable if not outright fraudulent.

Here's my read: agents get paid commission on anything they upsell you (insurance, upgrades, etc), and this agent wanted to get paid. Agent tried to sell you the upgrade and it didn't fly, but they had the authority to do it gratis. They then tried to sell you the insurance, and when you balked at that they basically leveraged their ability to upgrade you for free to get you to pay for something that would give them a commission.

Sixt screwed you by booking a rental they probably had no idea if they could deliver on. This particular agent then screwed you by not giving you an upgrade you were probably entitled to anyway.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The other incentive, as it were, may be that Sixt wants to limit mileage on high-end/high-cost vehicles to limit depreciation. It's been on the back of my mind after my LAX rental experience for a PCAR The agent asked where we were going. If we had answered "cruising up and down Venice Beach", we'd have gotten an upgrade to a L vehicle but instead, we volunteered Palm Springs and got downgrade to a SFAR.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Very similar experience to the OP ( and a host of issues) with PHX for a one-way rental PHX-SFO. No car in the assigned category and then trying to palm you off with whatever needs to get off the lot or doesn't rent well. Also borderline pushy insurance selling tactics which need to be reigned in.

What gets me is that if a Cadillac SRX is offered as car, why a lower category 3- series would cost more? If one books a smaller, economical sedan it is a fair assumption to say that the person does not want a big, gas guzzling US-make SUV.

I also told them to just provide me what I booked, but rather they were trying to,charge me for giving me a lower car category than booked. What the heck.

Though in my book, the staff does have a hard time with the ridiculous headache imposed by corporate of managing reservations with a bulk of the car pool being out of months or out of mileage to be returned to dealers and not getting enough new, fresh cars to meet demand.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I've rented out of Phoenix. The gave me a 228i instead of a 4 series convertible (prepaid) and gave me a $10 credit So, first lesson is, sixt's inventory system is completely unreliable if not outright fraudulent.

Here's my read: agents get paid commission on anything they upsell you (insurance, upgrades, etc), and this agent wanted to get paid. Agent tried to sell you the upgrade and it didn't fly, but they had the authority to do it gratis. They then tried to sell you the insurance, and when you balked at that they basically leveraged their ability to upgrade you for free to get you to pay for something that would give them a commission.

Sixt screwed you by booking a rental they probably had no idea if they could deliver on. This particular agent then screwed you by not giving you an upgrade you were probably entitled to anyway.
Yep, exactly. The minute they knew I wasn't indifferent to the car I was getting they had something "against me".
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The other incentive, as it were, may be that Sixt wants to limit mileage on high-end/high-cost vehicles to limit depreciation. It's been on the back of my mind after my LAX rental experience for a PCAR The agent asked where we were going. If we had answered "cruising up and down Venice Beach", we'd have gotten an upgrade to a L vehicle but instead, we volunteered Palm Springs and got downgrade to a SFAR.
Yep, that was definitely a factor as well. On the other hand, PCAR is an average car category in their fleet so one would think that they would have plenty of these cars.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Very similar experience to the OP ( and a host of issues) with PHX for a one-way rental PHX-SFO. No car in the assigned category and then trying to palm you off with whatever needs to get off the lot or doesn't rent well. Also borderline pushy insurance selling tactics which need to be reigned in.

What gets me is that if a Cadillac SRX is offered as car, why a lower category 3- series would cost more? If one books a smaller, economical sedan it is a fair assumption to say that the person does not want a big, gas guzzling US-make SUV.

I also told them to just provide me what I booked, but rather they were trying to,charge me for giving me a lower car category than booked. What the heck.

Though in my book, the staff does have a hard time with the ridiculous headache imposed by corporate of managing reservations with a bulk of the car pool being out of months or out of mileage to be returned to dealers and not getting enough new, fresh cars to meet demand.
So what did you end up getting and did you have to pay extra?

I wonder if Sixt in US is under the same umbrella as Sixt in Europe. If it is, one would hope that they would have the same standards / business approach. Also, maybe it's just this location.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by homutovs
On the other hand, PCAR is an average car category in their fleet so one would think that they would have plenty of these cars.
If you read some of my posts on this topic, you will hear one recurring theme that I got from PHX, LAS and SFO and it is that they are:

a) Having cars that are end of "rental life span" due to being out of months (apparently 6 months is normal for PCAR, LCAR type vehicles)
b) Having cars that are end of "rental life span" due to being out of miles (apparently around 15-20K mls or so depending on type of vehicle - not certain)
c) Lack of new replacement vehicles from corporate (meaning new deliveries from dealers to stations)

For c) the guys in LAS shared that they are waiting for 300 new cars across categories which is a huge gap.

In my case, I did manage to get a LCAR in the end - a Volvo S80 - after some back and forth and it was a great car to be fair that was loaded with premium features (build in navi, lane assist, blind spot warning, seat cooling, etc.). In another case they stuck me with a PFAR Mercedes GLA (yeah - sounds great but trust me, it is not) versus a booked LCAR (C-Class, 3-Series, Volvo S80) that is more expensive when booking and charged me an upgrade fee that luckily was removed upon return at a different station by a sensible Station Manager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.