Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

First time SIXT renter - am I going to be OK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 5:08 pm
fMD
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time SIXT renter and found a great deal from Beverly Hills CA to San Francisco CA. The price on their website, even with my 15% off for being hilton diamond (am I SIXT platinum now?) ended up being about $50 more than I could get through Autoslash (unless I used the prepaid option which only saved me a bit). I've been trying to do my due diligence and have read a lot of horror stories about people waiting forever to get their car, having their reservations cancelled at the last minute, being charged for damage they didn't do to the car etc. That being said, I'm pretty hesitant about renting from them but would be overjoyed if this rental goes without a hitch.

So my question is, am I going to be OK and what can I do to avoid any issues?

I plan on calling about a week in advance to confirm my reservation and make sure my SIXT member number is associated with it.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase UR, National Emerald Club, Hertz Gold Plus
I've rented from Sixt a couple of times in Europe and never had a problem. The cars are always clean with only a few thousand miles on them. I've returned the vehicle after-hours on a couple of occasions and there was no one to inspect the vehicle, but I've never been hit with a fraudulent charge for damage, etc. They're probably the largest non-US car rental company in the world.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:33 am

Judging from the messages around the forum, I think the best protection from the potential "damage charges after returning the car" is by taking the loss damage waiver with 0 excess.
That's what I did for my recent booking with SIXT, and also what I'm going to do with my next booking next month.

Having said that, I notice that in my last booking with SIXT Thailand, the damage waiver with 0 excess did NOT cover tyre damages (and you need to pay separately to insure for it - otherwise will be liable for tyre damages).
I wonder if this is a norm these days (because I don't recall such thing when renting from AVIS and Europcar some time ago).
Old May 24, 2016, 9:54 am
fMD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kooke
I've rented from Sixt a couple of times in Europe and never had a problem. The cars are always clean with only a few thousand miles on them. I've returned the vehicle after-hours on a couple of occasions and there was no one to inspect the vehicle, but I've never been hit with a fraudulent charge for damage, etc. They're probably the largest non-US car rental company in the world.
Originally Posted by liem22
Judging from the messages around the forum, I think the best protection from the potential "damage charges after returning the car" is by taking the loss damage waiver with 0 excess.
That's what I did for my recent booking with SIXT, and also what I'm going to do with my next booking next month.

Having said that, I notice that in my last booking with SIXT Thailand, the damage waiver with 0 excess did NOT cover tyre damages (and you need to pay separately to insure for it - otherwise will be liable for tyre damages).
I wonder if this is a norm these days (because I don't recall such thing when renting from AVIS and Europcar some time ago).
Thanks for the advice!

What about the AMEX rental car protection, would that be a good idea?
Old May 26, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Might want to check bookings using an Android phone. The Sixt app just came up with oneway specials between SFO and LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.