Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

SIXT - FRA - CPMR or ILMR? Anything sporty with either?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Hello! I will be traveling to Frankfurt very soon and currently have a CPMR lined up for about a week.

I saw though that the ILMR is also available for not much more. Is it really an upgrade? I can't find much info on that class but it looks like a wagon?

As I will be doing a fair bit of driving I'd like to have something slightly sporty (would love a GTI but doubt that will happen...) and think a 1-series in the CPMR group would do. A bit worried though that I might receive an anemic 116i or 118i. Would opting for a diesel be better? I'll opt for a manual no matter what.

I'm a huge BMW fan having owned multiple E30's, an E39 M5, E90 M3 and now a E70 X5 for the wife, so I'd love to stay in the family if something even remotely sporty is possible. I'll be heading over to BMW Welt too.

Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations!

...I know SSMR is the 'sportier' class but that is also nearly 2x a CPMR. Being a 'company' rental I don't think they'd be too happy with the extra price!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Welcome to FT!

Mietwagen-talk.de is the best source for anything Sixt or rental car related in Germany.

http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/index.p...onItem&id=1353 lists the car categories for ILMR. Looks like you may get a BMW 2 series 'active tourer'. I don't see the CPMR class described there, though.

If you can make the reservation on sixt.de on your own and don't have to go through a company portal you can also use the Sixt reservation code and the app to select a car online like four hours before pickup. That way you can secure a BMW if one is available. YMMV if you are not a known renter to Sixt, though.

http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/erfahru...chte-sixt.html has lots of car reviews and upsell/upgrade information. FRA airport has been treating me as a status customer pretty well.

In any case put in a request for BMW when making your reservation - they have lots of them.

If you have too much time to waste check out http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/mietwag...index3267.html where the folks take pictures and document what cars are available at the respective station.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Welcome to FT!

Mietwagen-talk.de is the best source for anything Sixt or rental car related in Germany.

http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/index.p...onItem&id=1353 lists the car categories for ILMR. Looks like you may get a BMW 2 series 'active tourer'. I don't see the CPMR class described there, though.

If you can make the reservation on sixt.de on your own and don't have to go through a company portal you can also use the Sixt reservation code and the app to select a car online like four hours before pickup. That way you can secure a BMW if one is available. YMMV if you are not a known renter to Sixt, though.

http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/erfahru...chte-sixt.html has lots of car reviews and upsell/upgrade information. FRA airport has been treating me as a status customer pretty well.

In any case put in a request for BMW when making your reservation - they have lots of them.

If you have too much time to waste check out http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/mietwag...index3267.html where the folks take pictures and document what cars are available at the respective station.
This is great thank you for the reply!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I've never seen a 1er given for a CPMR in DUS. Always been upgraded to something else or gotten an A3. YMMV. Please let me know what you get as I'm be renting in two weeks and do see ILMR showing as a 2er.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
I've never seen a 1er given for a CPMR in DUS. Always been upgraded to something else or gotten an A3. YMMV. Please let me know what you get as I'm be renting in two weeks and do see ILMR showing as a 2er.
Will do.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
HAM CPMR upgrade was to ILMR (2 active tourer). Such an ugly car that I declined, but they didn't have CPMR. Still charged me for upgrade to PDAR (BMW 5)... Was a lame experience for a Diamond member.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
FYI just an update I actually had to move my flight around to go to Switzerland instead of Germany due to the Lufthansa strike. Ended up cancelling my original plans and going for a 'CCCC' "Fun car" at the last minute.

Interesting experience but they held up three bags up and asked me to choose. I joking asked if they could just show me and let me chose but that was a "no, this is fun.'" I'd been in an airport lounge for 8 hours and then on a 7 hour sleep deprived flight so I'm sure I looked overjoyed to be playing...

I chose the middle one, got a Mazda CX-5 (damn you Mazda for having a logo that looks like the Mercedes badge from 4 feet away and getting me really excited BTW...). Asked what the other was (a Mini) and chose that. Walked out, forgot how small those are and went back to get the CX-5 which was a brilliant little CUV; 2.2L turbo diesel 6-speed, LOADED with Nav, blind spot monitoring, headed seats, good power and MPG and a decent driving experience for what it was.

I had asked what the other two "bags" were and one was the Mini (tempting but I needed a larger vehicle) but they didn't tell me what the other was. Though they did immediately try to upsell me to an E-Class Wagon which makes me think I might have picked the wrong bag. I should have just played dumb american and said I didn't know what a manual was and opt for an auto to lock me into that

In hindsight I should have walked over to first Enterprise where I had another reservation for $100 less for a CPMR, told them I'd throw an extra $100 on top and see what they could have done. Pretty little girls behind the counter were already a bit giggly and may have been a bit more 'generous' with what they put me in.

All in all though if you get a CX-5 be happy. I was pleasantly surprised and want to thank Sixt for a great experience for my first rental.

Originally Posted by jlisi984
HAM CPMR upgrade was to ILMR (2 active tourer). Such an ugly car that I declined, but they didn't have CPMR. Still charged me for upgrade to PDAR (BMW 5)... Was a lame experience for a Diamond member.
Ugh yeah they're not that nice to look at. Lame too they charged for the PDAR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.