Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad experience LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Bad experience LAX

First of all, I didn't know there is car rental company called Sixt until I saw the Amex offer (20%). By taking advantage of the Amex offer, the rental is pretty cheap and I can get a fancy rental car (Chevy Camaro, they call it STAR class). So why not give it a try (I researched on the internet and found it is a decent rental company and very popular in Europe).

The rental site is in Renaissance hotel, unlike other car rental companies, like Hertz. It took additional effort to pickup and drop off the car. But it is not terribly bad.

First sign of potential unhappy experience is when staff trying to push me for the insurance. I almost always decline insurance from the rental company. After several attempts trying, I explicitly said I want to decline the insurance coverage from Sixt.

I rented a convertible car, which I had never driven before. The staff there were reluctant to help as if they were busy (actually they weren't). I had to drag someone to show me how the convertible works.

The worst nightmare is when the bill comes through. They didn't print me any bill when I returned the car, only telling me fuel is full and no damage, and I should receive the bill via email in an hour. Since I was busy to get the flight, I didn't ask for printed receipt. However, I never receive any receipt via email (it has been four days since I return the car). When I check my Amex activity online, here is what I found and had to dispute the charges with my credit card company:
1. rental fee is $12 more than the original quote, and 20% discount not reflected.
2. They charged me $19.95 "PREM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION", which I explicitly denied.

Based on this experience, I wouldn't use their service again. And people, when you are researching on this company, be aware of potential ripoff. If you had to use their service, be sure to ask for printed receipts and keep them.

For authenticity, I rented the STAR at LAX from 7/15/2015 to 7/18.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by 28cents
Based on this experience, I wouldn't use their service again. And people, when you are researching on this company, be aware of potential ripoff. If you had to use their service, be sure to ask for printed receipts and keep them.

For authenticity, I rented the STAR at LAX from 7/15/2015 to 7/18.
I guess it is a stretch to go from one bad experience to call the company a potential ripoff. Seen that way all of the car rental companies have their bad days and you can end up ripped off. And actual too my experience with Sixt they are one of the better companies, although that's to be limited to Europe as I never tried them in the US.

First of all: What does you rental contract say? You should have gotten a copy of that which should list the rental charge and insurance coverage.

Although a lot of people don't I always check the rental contract - no matter where I book... Sixt, Avis, Hertz, National... Getting the wrong rate it might have been a honest mistake or an employee scoring an upsell (and probably some commission) without your consent. Anyway, too late to dispute that after leaving the lot.

Not sure how many times I had to repeat "car as booked, nothing extra, no bigger car" at Hertz counters all over the world....
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Hilton, Hertz, Dollar, National (new Fav)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 28cents
When I check my Amex activity online, here is what I found and had to dispute the charges with my credit card company:
1. rental fee is $12 more than the original quote, and 20% discount not reflected.
2. They charged me $19.95 "PREM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION", which I explicitly denied.
That second item $19.95 appears to be the Amex premium car rental protection plan. Did you previously enroll your Amex card in the program? If so, it automatically charges with every car rental authorized on that specific Amex card.

If it was Sixt, it would not have been a separate item on your Amex statement. It would have been a single charge, but the Sixt charge would have been higher than you expected.
lv.onlythebrave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.