Wiki Posts
Search

Speed ticket in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Speed ticket in Spain

Hello.
I just recieved fine notice from Sixt with the folowing message.

Dear customer,
Please find enclosed to this e-mail the invoice related to the administration fee for processing of traffic fines. This charge applies for each fine that we receive from the corresponding authorities and that is related to your rental agreement.
The handling fee is just an administrative charge. The payment of the fine will be made directly to the authorities once you receive the corresponding documents via post.
We would like to inform you that the information about the handling fee is stated in our rental terms and conditionshttp://www.sixt.es/informacion/condiciones-generales/ (see Pricelist additional charges)
Thank you for your understanding, we regret the inconveniences.
Also I've got copy of fine notice and invoice for administration fee from Sixt for 18€.

I don't understand that sentence:
The payment of the fine will be made directly to the authorities once you receive the corresponding documents via post.
What does that mean? I have to pay fine myself or I'll be charged automatically?
If I have to pay myself:
  • Is it possible to do it right now using online service at http://www.dgt.es or I have to wait until I receive the corresponding documents via post?
I my country post offices work very slowly so I am afraid that I will lost my opportunity to have discount on fine (as far I know discount is valid for 20 days) or even the message could be lost.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Usually when a rental company receive a fine notice, they will just past your information to the authorities and charge you an admin fee. The rest (plea guilty/not guilty/ignore) is up to you.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
What country do you live in? If you never intend to return to Spain and hire a car there again then there is no need to pay the fine. But if you intend on going back then you should pay it. You'll need to receive the documentation before you can pay the fine so you may miss out on a discount.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:31 am

The statement is correct, you must wait until the autorities send you the fine. the fine could come from dgt (Spanish traffic department), regional or local authorities.

When you recive it you will have 20 days to pay with 50% discount if you dont want to dispute the fine. You can pay online or with bank tranfer, you will need the expediente number, that will differ from the one that is in the sixt notification.

If you live in EU you will recive it for sure, but outside from EU...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I got flashed by a speed camera in France while driving a Herz rental about 8 years ago. All I ever got hit with was the Hertz admin fee for passing on my details to the authorities. The speeding ticket itself never came.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by User Name
I got flashed by a speed camera in France while driving a Herz rental about 8 years ago. All I ever got hit with was the Hertz admin fee for passing on my details to the authorities. The speeding ticket itself never came.
Keep that in mind if you return to France.... there may be something waiting for you.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Keep that in mind if you return to France.... there may be something waiting for you.
Been there a few times since, but haven't rented a car again yet.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
After 8 years, stature of limitation would have most likely ran its course.

Originally Posted by User Name
Been there a few times since, but haven't rented a car again yet.
Car rental company could care less. Their obligations were fully met when they provided your name to the authorities.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by seawolf
After 8 years, stature of limitation would have most likely ran its course.

Car rental company could care less. Their obligations were fully met when they provided your name to the authorities.
Well, im not familiar with the law in spain...

But in the US not paying a speeding ticket isnt the same as the statute of limitations to file a complaint. If they cite you promptly and you dont pay, then the statue of limitations doesn't apply- they find you, that fine is still due.

But I agree, the poster didnt get flagged on entry to the country, and Car rental company doesnt care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.