Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for pricing to jump 20-30% in either direction in a few days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓

I've never rented a car before. Ever. Lucky me. However, I am heading to Switzerland for a few weeks and I just found out my Audi for European delivery won't be ready in time. Now they are saying 19 weeks for my RS7 instead of 16. So I have to rent a car as we are going camping throughout CH and FR in July. I checked prices on sixt.de on June 10 and now (June 12 at 8AM NYC time) the rates for Zürich have dropped by about 30% (e.g., Audi A4 Avant was $127 now $92). Similarly, the rates for Frankfurt, which seem to be the cheapest of any station (as everything is more expensive in Switzerland) have gone up about 20% in those two days.

Is this normal? What's the best way to get the best rate? Anything I should look for? Finally, anyone know how expensive it is to rent a car seat for a four year old? I don't see the option on their website. Or do I have to bring my own?

For car rental insurance, is booking with my AMEX or CSP (is either better?) fine, or do I need to get liability thru Sixt?

We are going July 18 until August 2.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:48 am

The RS7, which has an MSRP of $108,900? You need some (free) help finding a good value car rental?

Yes, prices fluctuate. Car hire companies can charge whatever they like. You will be there summer, when prices are higher. Switzerland is extremely expensive.

If you find a good rate that is not pre-pay, which you can cancel without penalty, book it now.

Have you considered asking Audi for a loaner due to the delay?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

It was more than that, actually. Did you actually read what I wrote or are you just trying to be a thorn in my side? I asked if it is normal that they fluctuate 30% in 2 days. Will they only go up from here, or will they also go down? Not unreasonable questions. This is a free message board and believe it or not, I don't want to spend more money than I have to.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Sixt's pricing are very sensitive to demand; much more than competitors. Rates tend to drop starting 10 days prior to pickup and may tick back up a couple of days before pickup but often times it drops even more. I usually re price my Sixt reservation even an hour or two before pickup.

You should also compare with Sixt.de and Sixt.co.uk. Usually a lot cheaper than Sixt.com.

Most, if not all, U.S. credit cards offering auto rental coverage will be primary coverage in Europe. No need to go to AMEX premium car rental unless you are renting something more expensive as it covers up to $100k.

If renting a 3er or 5er and their BMW/MB equivalents, any card offering coverage should be fine but you may want to call your bank to confirm specific vehicle exclusions. If you are renting something like a M5 or exotic, Amex premium coverage may be the way to go but I would also confirm with AMEX first.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 12, 2015 at 8:03 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by seawolf
Sixt's pricing are very sensitive to demand; much more than competitors. Rates tend to drop starting 10 days prior to pickup and may tick back up a couple of days before pickup but often times it drops even more. I usually re price my Sixt reservation even an hour or two before pickup.
Excellent tip, seawolf! However, I presume you usually book the 'Pay at Counter' rate for you to be able to do what you just said? So, I believe the extra $6-$20 over the 'Pay-Now' rate, for the 'Pay-at-Counter' is worth it, probably?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Plat; Starwood Gold
When looking for an SUV in Orlando, the prices varied from a low of $280 for 3 days to $1,400 for the exact same time period. And many other prices in between. This was over the course of about a month.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MercedesSL600Man
When looking for an SUV in Orlando, the prices varied from a low of $280 for 3 days to $1,400 for the exact same time period. And many other prices in between. This was over the course of about a month.
Okay. My OCD and cheapness is gonna get the best of me I can see already...

There's no recognizable pattern to the price changes one can use to book the lowest rates?

Re add on extras...any reason to get their insurance products etc if I use my AmEx Plat? I also have a Chase Saphire Preferred visa card if that's better for car rentals.

For car seats, how do I reserve them and are they a set price or variable?

Also, is there a benefit to me for this rental if I get status with sixt beforehand? I see upgrades are possible and I can get status via AA EXP & CK. i could have sworn years ago I signed up for some status giveaway with sixt but I cannot find the login details so I assume that is lost... I have no idea when I'd need to rent a car again but it probably won't be for awhile.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

The prepaid rates are rarely worth it ( 10% rebate or so) as the rate swings are normally higher. Check .com .de .co.uk ..... As they will all be different ( on one site a Audi TT might be expensive on another just a little more than a Golf). Paid at pickup and check/rebook regulatly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.