Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt at MSP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Sixt at MSP?

I was just returning a rental to avis at MSP and as I was leaving I walked past a directory which showed Sixt among the car rental services. I've never seen them here before and as I was in a hurry didn't have time to go down a couple levels and try to find the branch. Their website isn't listing MSP but Google turned up this article from a couple months ago about them coming here. Anyone have any more details?

Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:45 pm

Sixt seems to favor a licensing market entry strategy. The problem is that they threaten to dilute their brand image: Offering European visitors large cars and SUVs they can only find in America, and introducing American customers to European performance cars. This is especially a problem as Sixt expands beyond traditional sunny vacation areas with lots of European tourists into the American heartland.

Ex, Another thread implied that some franchises (ex CLT) are stocking generic, high mileage used Japanese cars presumably bought at auction from other rental companies. There is no unique customer experience that warrants paying more for them than, say, Priceline or Rent a Wreck.

There is also the oversight that regional one-ways are very common between smaller US cities with expensive and infrequent air service. Hertz, and to a lesser extent National and Avis, have a lot of expertise handling this demand, by strategically placing corporate stores there. Sixt initially missed out on this between CLT and ATL.

This article suggests Sixt might have learned. Interestingly, they now allow one-ways between CLT and ATL, and between Knoxville and ATL. They might set out on the right track, if they can set up a network in the Midwest, owned by the same franchisee, that can therefore accomodate one-ways.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Nov 29, 2014 at 1:56 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

As a follow up to this. Has anyone rented from Sixt here yet? I was just looking at the site for MSP which now works and it seems to have a very limited (basic) car selection. None of the more fun cars BMW/Benz/etc/etc
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I am going to be renting from them today, and shall report back.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joelfreak
I am going to be renting from them today, and shall report back.
Thanks! From what i can tell its a remote station, so i havent been able to just cruise past it on my way to the Hertz/Avis/Enterprise counters and see whats on the lot. Ive rented from them before in LAX and ATL, always gotten upgraded to a BMW/Benz for really good rates. If they have anything like that on the lot here ill be booking them next!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I called them and I was told that Caddies were the best they had, so we shall see, as I am Diamond, so I would hope I get a nice upgrade. I do have to take a shuttle, but I will try it once instead my my normal National at MSP...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joelfreak
I called them and I was told that Caddies were the best they had, so we shall see, as I am Diamond, so I would hope I get a nice upgrade. I do have to take a shuttle, but I will try it once instead my my normal National at MSP...
Gotcha. Eh....those arent bad. Fill us in on your experience and i may give em a shot Granted im only plat....but hopefully as its a new station they may be a bit more liberal with the upgrades
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:05 pm

I wanted to report back here. The location was rather easy to find, you just need to get off the skytrain at the car rental stop, and go up the escalators one level, and the Sixt counter was right there. Van was basically waiting for me at curbside after I checked in, and the location is right across from MOA. The staff was overly nice, my only complaints would be that for some reason my Diamond status didn't come through on their computers, so they didn't have an upgrade in the system for me. When I mentioned I had talked to them about an upgrade they had no problem putting me in the Cadillac, so I would chalk this up to just opening bugs. The car they put me in was really nice, but didn't have the options a top of the line car would have...Sat radio wasn't subscribed, no LCD screen, etc...but overall still a great upgrade! The car did have a cigarette burn on the passenger seat in 2 places however, and I was told this is how the car was delivered to them. I would definitely return to the location, and in fact will be returning in March. They claim they will be getting the normal European Sixt fleet soon, its just difficult to source cars in MSP in the winter. This location is owned/operated by a car dealership in MSP, and they used to run one of the lower end rental sites until that company was snatched up by Hertz...so they are now trying to get used to Sixt. Overall, a great addition.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I was literally just about to type an update myself on here when i saw you did! I picked up a car tonight from them, booked an FCAR (Camry) as a Platinum. As im local i just had a friend drop me at the location directly, which is very easy to find, quite large and nice! I forget what car they had originally assigned me but when i asked about an upgrade i was offered a Chevy Captiva or a Hyundai Tuscon, i took the Tuscon. Not exactly the prime upgrade i was expecting but its a 2013 with sat radio and 2700 miles on it so not bad at all either (for $14 a day....). I also asked if they would be getting better cars and the guy mentioned that around spring they should get some better ones as the December opening meant they just got the basic fleet.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:47 pm

It sounds like at least some of their cars were purchased used. Cigarette burns on a brand new car? Come on! At least this franchise seems to understand Sixt's intended positioning in the US: Big American cars for visiting Europeans, European sports cars for curious Americans. If you want the basic Camry or Caravan, which all rental companies will be offering, there's no compelling reason to choose Sixt, unless they're the cheapest.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Another little update. Rented again yesterday, full size upgraded to a Tuscon (again) drove about 2 blocks before the smell of cigarets became quite annoying. Returned and exchanged for another Tuscon.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:49 am

As this location is owned by a car dealership, I wouldn't think the cars were PURCHASED used, but perhaps they were test drive models or the like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.