Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Damage to hire car that I absolutely did not cause - Sixt trying to charge me.

Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
It would appear to that these "damage" claims are a profit center that incentivise branch managers to charge customers for questionable or bogus repairs.

I've rented from Sixt in the past and have been very satisfied with my experience; however, having read all the horror stories, in this thread and others, I'd be very leery of doing business with them again except when their rates are substantially cheaper than the competition's (yes, I know that Hertz in Germany has also been accused of similar bogus claims).
Without knowing the nature of the business relationship between Sixt and who actually fixes the damage (whether in-house or third party), it's hard to say whether it is a profit center or not.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
Without knowing the nature of the business relationship between Sixt and who actually fixes the damage (whether in-house or third party), it's hard to say whether it is a profit center or not.
You're assuming that Sixt charges its customers the actual cost of repairing the cars. Based upon the amounts charged, as reported in this thread and others, I believe that there is a substantial markup. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100%.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Member

You're assuming that Sixt charges its customers the actual cost of repairing the cars. Based upon the amounts charged, as reported in this thread and others, I believe that there is a substantial markup. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100%.
Cost depends on who is doing the work. If they have a third party fix the cars (eg dealership or otherwise independent repair facilities) and is simply passing the bill across to renter, Sixt is not profiting from this unless you are accusing them of a kick back scheme thus my previous comment that you need to have an understanding of that business relationship (or relevant Germany industry knowledge) to make such an accusation.

Furthermore you also need to look at this holistically. How many times were there damages in which Sixt were not able to successfully pursue claims or insurance reimbursement? Those are rarely reported on FT. Those are losses. Without this information, it is also difficult to say whether this is a profit center as a whole.

Basing a conclusion on FT reports results is flawed as the reports are skewed towards damages to begin with and underreport the number of times Sixt drop their claims or the number of times Sixt decided not to initiate a claim against the renter to begin with.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 20, 2016 at 6:39 am
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:21 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Sixt is not profiting from this unless you are accusing them of a kick back scheme...
I wrote "markup" not "kickback"; that is charging the customer a substantial premium over than their actual cost of the repairs.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:40 am
Original Member

I wrote "markup" not "kickback"; that is charging the customer a substantial premium over than their actual cost of the repairs.
Yes you wrote markup. But on what basis do you arrive at the conclusion they they did marked it up if you don't know who Sixt contracts out to do the repair? It could very well be, the estimates provided are the actual true and accurate numbers Sixt received from their third party repair shop. In which case, that is the actual cost to Sixt and thus zero markup.

My point is, without knowing what German industry-accepted practices are, alleging Sixt marked-up damages based on FT reports is like blind men describing what an elephant is.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 20, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:00 pm

My point is, without knowing what German industry-accepted practices are, alleging Sixt marked-up damages based on FT reports is like blind men describing what an elephant is.

That's rude.

I'm entitled to have my opinion just as you're entitled to yours.

I'm done with you.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Member

My apologies if you took offense. You are entitled to your opinion. Just wanted to know your supporting facts that Sixt is in fact marking up. I just don't see any evidence to suggest they are.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:47 am

Hi.. new member's first posting here (after lurking around for some time).
I've been seeing so many bad reviews of SIXT where people get billed a few months later for damages that are supposedly not done by the renter. I wonder, do they not have the "Loss Damage Waiver" included in their rental contract?
I recently decided to take the plunge and booked with SIXT for my June USA trip, and I notice that LDW is included in the rental. By the definition found here:
https://www.sixt.com/rental-services...l-information/
"The Loss Damage Waiver reduces the renter's responsibility in the event of damage to or loss of the rental vehicle. If LDW is accepted, the renter is only responsible for the following amounts: USD 0,- for all car groups"
Does it mean that even if there is damages found with the car, I will not be charged anything?
Thanks for the enlightenment from the experienced...
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Member

Some rates include LDW (or you can add on separately for a fee). Even with LDW there is an excess amount which is the maximum amount you are liable for. Some rates have $0 excess. Some have several hundred dollars/euros etc.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:13 pm

Are you applying German or US labour rates with this comment? Remember, parts and labour are not provided at cost, there's also a profit component to it by whoever Sixt farms out the work to.

On my damage claim, it was 318EUR for the rim, 148EUR for the tire or about 450EUR for parts. Labour was EUR350 not 500EUR (little more than 2 hours @ EUR160/hour). Then there's also 19% tax bringing the total to shy of 1,000EUR.

Can the find a cheaper body shop to do similar work? Sure but they are more than likely charging manufacturer parts/labor rates which would still be considered reasonable by industry standards.
Hello, thanks for your observations!

Yes, I have received an itemized bill (from GKK Gutachten GmbH).

Although it is written in German, I see that the Alu rim itself cost EUR 247 plus a sensor EUR 55 (not sure if sensor is reusable). There is also a significant cost ELEKTRONISCHE FAHRWERKSVERMESSUNG EUR 213.00.

The total amount charged is EUR 742.00 and the contracted LDW excess was EUR 850,00.

I can't tell much about the need of all items, since all was filled under Engineer appraisal (EUR 25 fee for engineer by the way) and I am just a common user. In Brazil some would just repair these scratches for max EUR 50,00 or if it was a rental company, they would just leave as it is and repair before selling the car for example.

I have participated from other rentals from sixt, but this one was first time in my name, and unfortunately the first time I had faced a problem with them. Customer service was always very helpful, this time I had a problem with payment on handover, but they were able to resolve by e-mail and I could keep the car I booked.

Seems that customer service is online here as well, so lets see what happens next;
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:54 am

Hello,

Just to update my situation:

Sixt has understand and they will not go further with this damage claim. They were very polite and again I'm sure they are worried about customer satisfaction!
Special thanks to Pete who has helped me on this case!

After dealing with damage claim, I'm sure the best option is to always get a full waiver, no matter which company you choose!

Thanks everyone who has helped me!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by danilobr
Hello,

Just to update my situation:

Thank you for the update!
^
Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
I have no doubt whatsoever, this is a profit opportunity for Sixt !

I recently settled a Sixt claim for damage that DID occur whilst the car was parked in a garage in Manchester, England < This shows I accept liability when it's valid.

I've had to argue one case of damage reported after drop off and vehicle inspection, which Sixt eventually waived the claim.

I'm now dealing with another claim, for which I refused to accept liability on returning the vehicle, for a very, repeat VERY, small chip in the windscreen that I never saw until it was returned and only after the agent pointed it out to me. I am arguing it was pre-existing and didn't warrant reporting as damage when collecting the vehicle (even if I'd actually seen it). And yes, I know it didn't occur during my rental as it was slap bang in my vision and looked simply like a bit of dirt.

Now, here's where I'd like to make a prediction. Most of these 'questionable' claims are when the renter is using 3rd party insurance (credit cards for example). As when the renter has zero deductible insurance from Sixt, they simply don't care.

I have even seen on check-in paperwork where "NO INSURANCE" is noted on the document to alert the person checking the vehicle when being dropped off.

I'm not saying this situation is unique to Sixt, but with approximately 10+ rentals each with Sixt, Hertz and ANOther every year, I've only had problems with Sixt !

I do think this stinks and it wouldn't surprise me if an undercover investigation showed that they are instructed to take every opportunity to claim for damage when renters use 3rd party insurance or Sixt insurance that doesn't have a zero deductible.

As others have said, I now photograph and video everything before driving away.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:06 am

Damage to car we did not cause - SIXT switzerland

We have been trying to fight a claim with SIXT regarding bumper damages we did not do. We have sent numerous emails and photos and have asked for evidence etc but we keep receiving a standard reply. The latest email States they have passed our file to a debt collecting agency. My question is - what can we do?! Does anyone have an email address for SIXT Switzerland who can properly address our issue. Thank you!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: EB*G, A3*G, National EE
Originally Posted by danilobr
There is also a significant cost ELEKTRONISCHE FAHRWERKSVERMESSUNG EUR 213.00.

The total amount charged is EUR 742.00 and the contracted LDW excess was EUR 850,00.
Fahrwerksvermessung should translate to steering wheel alignment, which could need to be done if a front wheel has bumped in to something. Depending on which car it is 213 EUR for the steering wheel alignment is on the high side. If it is a Mercedes for instance it requires more work, due to several points of adjustment, to do the alignment, and the price might be fair.
In my opinion the sensor for TMPS can and should be reused. It is unreasonable to be billed for a new sensor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.