Beware of Dubai and Doha SIXT

Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I have, so far, had a fantastic experience renting from Sixt, both in the US and in Europe. I have been very happy so far, and as a Platinum member.

I recently became a Diamond member, and my first rental as a Diamond member was at Dubai, and the experience was terrible.

The rental options in ascending order is Toyota Yaris, Nissan Tiida, Mercedes C-Class, Mercedes E-Class, then up from there. I can't find any documentation on what Diamond level comes with, but I thought 1-class was guaranteed and 2-class based on availability?

I booked the Nissan Tiida thinking this would get me into the C-Class. Upon arriving at the station in the parking lot of Terminal 1, the counter agent told me I had been upgraded to a VW Passat. (A category not even listed as an option on the booking site.) I asked him if I can get an upgrade to the C-Class and he said he doesn't have any available. I asked him if he has any Mercedes available, he said no. I tell him that all of the Mercedes are available for booking online. He said none are available. So, I asked him if I booked the C-Class what would happen? He said that it's impossible to book anything, as it takes 24-hours for them to be notified of a new reservation. So, since I wanted to C-Class I went ahead and booked it on my phone. He then changed his tune and said I need to go the Sixt counter inside Terminal 1 to process my new reservation. So, in the 110 degree heat I walk from the car park to the terminal. In the terminal Sixt desk there is a much more friendly lady. She sees my original reservation for the Tiida, and calls the guy up at the car park and asks why I can't be upgraded to the C-Class. Then I hear her, multiple times, say, "but he is a diamond member". Eventually, she gets off the phone and says all she can upgrade me to is the VW Passat. I then told her that I made a booking for a C-Class and wanted to cancel my Tiida reservation. I also ask her what upgrade I should be able to get since I booked a C-Class, due to the diamond status. She calls the guy back and says all he will let me have is a C-Class, with no upgrade whatsoever, since there is nothing further available to upgrade me to. I tell her that the Sixt website shows an E-Class available (among a plethora of other Mercedes models), what happens if I book it? She says that they will cancel the reservation because they have none. So, I ask her if it is normal that people book cars and that Sixt just cancels it if they don't have it? She said yes.

So, my take away from the DXB location is, based solely on my experience:

1) They have no problem lying to you.
2) They have no interest in following the Sixt elite status program.
3) They don't value your business.

My next stop was in Doha. I rented a Toyota Camry. Upon arrival they told me I was getting a Nissan Altima. I asked them if this is an upgrade and they said no. I then asked them whether they upgraded diamond members. The guy muttered something and said I can have a VW Passat. I asked about a Mercedes and he said they don't have any available. I told him there are many available for booking on the website. He said what the Dubai people said, if I book a Mercedes the reservation will be cancelled since they don't have any. The VW Passat they gave me had an empty tank of gas and no windshield fluid (the light was on and with the dust all over the place this is somewhat more needed than other places). I also chose the GPS option, they gave me a portable Garmin with a 2-year old map loaded on it, and with all the road changes in Doha the GPS would constantly take me to dead-ends and circuitous routes that kept ending up at crossways that were blocked, so was nearly unusable.

I don't know if I just got very unlucky at both stations or whether this is SOP at the Middle East Sixt locations. I certainly am going to consider other options there next time, as you just end up feeling cheated by the Sixt locations there. Another thing of note is that both cars I got exhibited some really strange engine behavior, accelerating from a stop the engine boggs down then surges. I suspect the air filters are clogged with dust and rarely serviced/cleaned.

Last edited by whimike; Jun 9, 2014 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:14 am

This same feeling about Dubai SIXT

This year in April we book MB GLK, as Platinium member I think we will have one class upgrade to ML model. Sixt staffs told us thay don't have any ML or GL model on terminal we can take only what we book. I go to websiete and check that thay have GL model in offer much cheaper than our GLK model. I make quick call to germany office and book GL after 15min we had keys to MB GL car at Terminal 1.

On way back from Abu Dhabi I want again book car thru SIXT (thay show on website that they have office at Abu Dhabi) but answer was we need 48h to delivery our car to Abu Dhabi airport terminal .... we finish our booking with Hertz and this time we take Volvo S60 online and on Hertz desk we have upgrade as Gold member to nice new BMW730Li. On Seychelles last year Hertz upgraded us two class w/o any problem, I don't ask thay give us nice Hyundai ix35.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:50 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi whimike,

I am very sorry to hear of your recent negative experiences with Sixt in Dubai and Doha. Your experiences do not reflect in any way the high standard of service that you rightly expect from us.

Please could you send me a private message with the reservation numbers for the two bookings you mentioned in your post, and I will be more than happy to investigate the issues that you have highlighted.

I look forward to hearng from you soon.

Best regards,

Gary Caudwell.

Originally Posted by whimike
I have, so far, had a fantastic experience renting from Sixt, both in the US and in Europe. I have been very happy so far, and as a Platinum member.

I recently became a Diamond member, and my first rental as a Diamond member was at Dubai, and the experience was terrible.

The rental options in ascending order is Toyota Yaris, Nissan Tiida, Mercedes C-Class, Mercedes E-Class, then up from there. I can't find any documentation on what Diamond level comes with, but I thought 1-class was guaranteed and 2-class based on availability?

I booked the Nissan Tiida thinking this would get me into the C-Class. Upon arriving at the station in the parking lot of Terminal 1, the counter agent told me I had been upgraded to a VW Passat. (A category not even listed as an option on the booking site.) I asked him if I can get an upgrade to the C-Class and he said he doesn't have any available. I asked him if he has any Mercedes available, he said no. I tell him that all of the Mercedes are available for booking online. He said none are available. So, I asked him if I booked the C-Class what would happen? He said that it's impossible to book anything, as it takes 24-hours for them to be notified of a new reservation. So, since I wanted to C-Class I went ahead and booked it on my phone. He then changed his tune and said I need to go the Sixt counter inside Terminal 1 to process my new reservation. So, in the 110 degree heat I walk from the car park to the terminal. In the terminal Sixt desk there is a much more friendly lady. She sees my original reservation for the Tiida, and calls the guy up at the car park and asks why I can't be upgraded to the C-Class. Then I hear her, multiple times, say, "but he is a diamond member". Eventually, she gets off the phone and says all she can upgrade me to is the VW Passat. I then told her that I made a booking for a C-Class and wanted to cancel my Tiida reservation. I also ask her what upgrade I should be able to get since I booked a C-Class, due to the diamond status. She calls the guy back and says all he will let me have is a C-Class, with no upgrade whatsoever, since there is nothing further available to upgrade me to. I tell her that the Sixt website shows an E-Class available (among a plethora of other Mercedes models), what happens if I book it? She says that they will cancel the reservation because they have none. So, I ask her if it is normal that people book cars and that Sixt just cancels it if they don't have it? She said yes.

So, my take away from the DXB location is, based solely on my experience:

1) They have no problem lying to you.
2) They have no interest in following the Sixt elite status program.
3) They don't value your business.

My next stop was in Doha. I rented a Toyota Camry. Upon arrival they told me I was getting a Nissan Altima. I asked them if this is an upgrade and they said no. I then asked them whether they upgraded diamond members. The guy muttered something and said I can have a VW Passat. I asked about a Mercedes and he said they don't have any available. I told him there are many available for booking on the website. He said what the Dubai people said, if I book a Mercedes the reservation will be cancelled since they don't have any. The VW Passat they gave me had an empty tank of gas and no windshield fluid (the light was on and with the dust all over the place this is somewhat more needed than other places). I also chose the GPS option, they gave me a portable Garmin with a 2-year old map loaded on it, and with all the road changes in Doha the GPS would constantly take me to dead-ends and circuitous routes that kept ending up at crossways that were blocked, so was nearly unusable.

I don't know if I just got very unlucky at both stations or whether this is SOP at the Middle East Sixt locations. I certainly am going to consider other options there next time, as you just end up feeling cheated by the Sixt locations there. Another thing of note is that both cars I got exhibited some really strange engine behavior, accelerating from a stop the engine boggs down then surges. I suspect the air filters are clogged with dust and rarely serviced/cleaned.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: SIXT Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Gold,
It somehow sounds as if the Dubai Team isn't the best.

Had a similar experience in Jan/Feb. I had booked an E-Class for April and asked what's the Diamond Uprade. They told me an E-Coup. Seriously? I told them that I need a car with four doors since we are 5 people. No way to get another upgrade option. Booked a GL instead for just a few more.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:12 am

Stick with Hertz in Dubai or take brookers web offers, this will be better than talking with Sixt desk at UAE about Platinium/Diamond upgrades.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canaan
It somehow sounds as if the Dubai Team isn't the best.
They are atrocious. Sixt should be embarrassed to have the group in Dubai, and Doha, representing them.

They in no way, shape, or form exhibit the brand standards that Sixt sets forward. I really wish Sixt corporate would step in and either hold them to the brand-standard or get rid of them.

In my particular instance the representative from Sixt acted in several punitive ways towards me that really had me questioning whether I would rent from Sixt again, until I realized that the entire middle-east group just seems to be running rogue.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Have a reservation with Sixt DXB, but if the consensus is that the UAE operation is vastly inferior to the generally high service I get with Sixt, I'll switch it to Hertz (who was OK when I used them a couple of years ago).

OP, please let us know if the involvement of Sixt customer service led to any resolution or indication of whether this was a one off bad experience ?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G

I live in Abu Dhabi and am having issues with Sixt (Platinum). The above behavior and issues are still the SOP at Sixt UAE.

I've sent them a few emails and I have my third booking with them this week. Let's see how that goes and I will do a full report here.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsb21
I live in Abu Dhabi and am having issues with Sixt (Platinum). The above behavior and issues are still the SOP at Sixt UAE.

I've sent them a few emails and I have my third booking with them this week. Let's see how that goes and I will do a full report here.
Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Checked on my Sixt Dubai reservation today, since I considered changing it based on the poor feedback in this thread.

Back when I booked before summer the only car groups offered online were:
- EDAR (Toyota Yaris)
- CDAR (Nissan Tiida)
- FDAR (MB C class)
- LDAR (MB E class)
+ various higher classes.

Now, however, in addition to these the following classes are also offered online:
- SDAR (VW Jetta)
- IDAR (MB A Class)

So assuming the VW Passat is in IDAR, the OP was actually offered a two class Diamond upgrade (CDAR->IDAR) which seems pretty generous to me.

Also looking at the station details, it seems that the Sixt airport stations in DXB and AUH are not the main locations/depots, which would explain why they are unable to offer the higher car classes on short notice.

This of course doesn't justify the occasional poorly cleaned/maintained cars, poor communication skills or incomplete inventory online, but I don't see any support evidence of downright lying (neither did the OP share if the involvement of Sixt Customer service led to any enlightenment or resolution).

So I've decided to stick with Sixt for my upcoming DXB rental, and changed my booking to IDAR which cost only a little more than CDAR (sticking to my general rule of thumb "Book what you can live with, hope for an upgrade and demand honesty" .-)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:13 am

DXB ;(

End of August this same situation at DXB like always with SIXT UAE, my booking was on MB C'class and at the desk thay give me exactly what I make booking. 5min talking with staff's at the desk and they change my C'class to E'class. Conclusion is thay don't respect Platinium cards. Returning way from Abu Dhabi with Hertz and again I book Volvo S60 = Lexus IS250 and recive upgrade to BMW 730 ... .
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raunow
Back when I booked before summer the only car groups offered online were:
- EDAR (Toyota Yaris)
- CDAR (Nissan Tiida)
- FDAR (MB C class)
- LDAR (MB E class)
+ various higher classes.

Now, however, in addition to these the following classes are also offered online:
- SDAR (VW Jetta)
- IDAR (MB A Class)

So assuming the VW Passat is in IDAR, the OP was actually offered a two class Diamond upgrade (CDAR->IDAR) which seems pretty generous to me.
How do you figure I was given a two class upgrade? I originally booked a CDAR and they upgraded me to a car not even listed as being available from them. If the SDAR and IDAR class had been offered, I could have booked an SDAR to get into a MB C. But, neither the SDAR or IDAR classes existed. When I book a car I book it based on what upgrade is possible with the classes listed, which at DXB Sixt should have been an MB E, but I was OK with just a single class upgrade to an MB C. When I finally booked the MB C instead, I was given no upgrade.

Originally Posted by HHQX888
End of August this same situation at DXB like always with SIXT UAE, my booking was on MB C'class and at the desk thay give me exactly what I make booking. 5min talking with staff's at the desk and they change my C'class to E'class. Conclusion is thay don't respect Platinium cards. Returning way from Abu Dhabi with Hertz and again I book Volvo S60 = Lexus IS250 and recive upgrade to BMW 730 ... .
At least you got upgraded. I booked a MB C and got an MB C as a Diamond member, with a refusal for any further upgrade.

The lurker here from Sixt did try to look into the matter, but both Dubai and Doha Sixt apparently refused to answer his inquiries. It got escalated to Germany and still nada.

My conclusion is that Dubai and Doha are completely rogue and Sixt Corporate doesn't wield any power over them, they run amok with their own rules.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 25, 2014 at 3:16 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

So, as somebody who obviously doesn't learn by past experiences, I booked another car from Sixt Dubai for last week. And... It was a far better experience this time. I booked a MB C class and scheduled the pickup from the Mercedes Dealer on Sheikh Zayed Rd (The owner of the MB dealer owns the Sixt franchise in Dubai).

Other then it taking about 20 minutes per customer to get paperwork processed (i was behind 1 other person and had to wait 20 minutes and thought it was a fluke, but it also took 20 minutes for them to deal with me, which seems incredibly inefficient), things went smoothly. They upgraded me 1-class to a MB E. I asked them about their upgrade policies and they said that for Platinum it is a 1-class "if available". For a Diamond members they upgrade 1-class guaranteed.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:46 am

DUBAI Sixt again ;(

Again nice rip off from Dubai SIXT,

Booking on sixt.de with LDW 2500AED on germany confirmation was total 745AED, I book at once LDAR class because thay don't upgrade Platinium customers.

On DWC airport at night 'greets and meet' service looks like SIXT staff waiting for us at car parking and I need looking for him at parking ?!
Hi want block LWD amount on my credit card and note CC number, valid date and CVV number on paper and call to office in DXB terminal 1 after 2min he told this card is not valid did you have another one, I told that I have more CC but I can't allow you note all details again on paper if he have terminal unit I can use my another card but this way via phone is is not possible. We go with SIXT staff to DXB office and at counter my first CC which was not working as he told, works at terminal unit.

When I look next day on invoice which SIXT staff bring to DWC airport I seen that orginal price from sixt.de 745AED was changed to 945AED, and this invoice was printed 2h beffore my arrival to Dubai and I don't change anything from my oryginal order.

My feelings SIXT staff try to collect credit cards details for different purposes, SIXT Dubai office increase my agreement and charge me more 200AED than germany rental confirmation.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:03 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Sixt Customer Service

Hi,

Can you please send me a private message with the reservation details as I would like to investigate this further.

Thanks, Ruth.

Originally Posted by HHQX888
Again nice rip off from Dubai SIXT,

Booking on sixt.de with LDW 2500AED on germany confirmation was total 745AED, I book at once LDAR class because thay don't upgrade Platinium customers.

On DWC airport at night 'greets and meet' service looks like SIXT staff waiting for us at car parking and I need looking for him at parking ?!
Hi want block LWD amount on my credit card and note CC number, valid date and CVV number on paper and call to office in DXB terminal 1 after 2min he told this card is not valid did you have another one, I told that I have more CC but I can't allow you note all details again on paper if he have terminal unit I can use my another card but this way via phone is is not possible. We go with SIXT staff to DXB office and at counter my first CC which was not working as he told, works at terminal unit.

When I look next day on invoice which SIXT staff bring to DWC airport I seen that orginal price from sixt.de 745AED was changed to 945AED, and this invoice was printed 2h beffore my arrival to Dubai and I don't change anything from my oryginal order.

My feelings SIXT staff try to collect credit cards details for different purposes, SIXT Dubai office increase my agreement and charge me more 200AED than germany rental confirmation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.