Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Anyone used SIXT car rental at MIA? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone used SIXT car rental at MIA? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Thrifty, National, Marriott
Fuel Charge Pattern?

I also was charged for fuel on a vehicle I returned full. Otherwise I was very happy with my rental and the costs. I called their customer service and emailed a copy of my gas charge on my cc statement and they removed the charge. For my return in Sept, I will ask the agent to note the full tank on my paperwork and monitor my cc charge to avoid a repeat, as this seems to be more than just a one time "oops" on their part. Can't argue with the costs, and the rental process is very easy.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:16 pm

EDIT: Never mind. I'm an idiot.

Last edited by abcx; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by eldrick03
Hello all,

are there any experiences with Sixt Diamond Card recognition? Do they give upgrades in MIA?
Originally Posted by Canaan
Hi!

Yes they give upgrades. I booked a 3 series last year and received an XC90. Had the option to choose a Jaguar F Type instead. The Volvo was listed in the same categorie as a BMW X5.

Sven
Platinum as well ?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Sixt Platinum
yes they do, at least for Platinum. If I remember correctly, I waived their offer, as I wanted a particular car. I was very pleased with their service and prices for the rental were highly competitive.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:41 pm

Does anyone know what the MIA PCAR fleet is these days? Planning to rent in late May...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ttjoseph
Does anyone know what the MIA PCAR fleet is these days? Planning to rent in late May...

what were you able to secure? renting the end of july. torn between PCAR and XCAR, wouldn't mind the Genesis (definitely don't want 300) but wouldn't want anything other than the Eclass or 5 series

may just chance it and go the Emerald Aisle route
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: HH diamond(yr 16, >922 nights ), AA Gld for life (1MM),M&M FTL , Sixt platinum; IATA DTTF
Thumbs up great,friendly service and fantastic upgrade @ Sixt MIA

We rented a standard size suv for 18 days in Oct.-Nov '13 as a try out of Sixt . This was our first rental in MIA with Sixt after 6 misery filled years with Alamo and the service of sixt we got was so good we already have reserved again with them next May for 17 days... Sixt is situated as all other rentalfirms in the nice and " cool" car rental buidling but their set up is such that there was no need to wait in line for a long time as we had with our previous rentals with other rental firms . Several desks were manned with very,friendly and very polite staff which is nice after a long TATL flight! :-:
We had rented a standard suv for a very, very good rate and were told we were upgraded to an X3. However Mrs. & I drive BMW's at home and my wife's is an X3 so I always try to go for the biggest suv I can get when renting in the US. On asking if they had anything she could upgrade us in from our standard suv ( ford explorer? ) we were given an upgrade to the biggest US SUV they had , a brand new Suburban with less than 200 miles and a great engine!!
We enjoyed this car to the max for all 1200 miles we drove and the only extra I took was roadside assistance - not too expensive- as Sixt has no stations close to Naples and I did want to do something back for the local station too ... Pick up and Return of the car was great one level lower than the floor where the office is ; only hick up was when I asked a copy of my invoice on return as I wanted to make sure that they noted officially that the car was returned in perfect mint condition and full tank to avoid any add on afterwards . :-:
Mrs Kahuna & I cannot wait till our next rental with sixt in MIA coming May as this service is so different from what we suffered through with alamo for 25 + years on service levels and quality of rentals ... this time it was great and hopefully Sixt MIA can keep the same great level as on our last visit ?^^
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
We rented a car from the MIA branch over Christmas and I must say I wasnt impressed with them at all. First, we reserved an ECAR which is described as Hyundai accent, Chevrolet Aveo or Ford fiesta. Anyway, were given a Mini Fiat, which, ok you take your luck with the cheapest cars so decided the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) will fit. Anyway, after going to the car, found the side light completely broken (Hanging down the side of the car from the wire) so went back to the desk to explain. I explained quite simply to the woman at the desk and she said to her colleague "I cant understand this guy, can you try". Now im British and an English teacher with what I consider a neutral accent so I wasnt impressed (actually told her I could speak slowly if it helped). Anyway, the 2nd lady came to the car and took some photos of the damage and said, it's ok now, it's in the system, so you wont have any problems when returning it. When I asked for another car, she did agree, but it never should have been suggested to drive like that. Obviously being a gold member means nothing at sixt Miami too.

Anyway, to put a positive end to the experience, on the way back we dropped the car off in Orlando, the guy driving the shuttle bus was one of the nicest guys we met on our trip. When we pulled up with the car, he backed up the shuttle next to our car to make it easier for us to transfer luggage and waited while we sorted ourselves out. He was friendly and at least left us with a good impression of Sixt Orlando.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Anyone knows if the Chevy Cruze offered in Miami area branches is a diesel one ?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:55 pm

I'm confused as to how the Sunpass works with the rental, and the fees associated. So, for $7 a day you get a transponder and then pay toll charges on top of that? I've got a reservation to pick up a car in Miami but I'm only there for 2 days, then driving up to Orlando and dropping the car off there a week later. Can you only pay the fee for the transponder the first couple days and then drop it since it won't be needed?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:35 pm

You just pay the daily rate + fees, and can use as many toll roads as you can find (tolls are relatively cheap in FL anyway). I don't think it can be billed per day, only for the length of the rental.

Regarding a question above re: Cruze diesel, doubtful. I haven't seen any diesel passenger cars in US fleets, only trucks.

Originally Posted by dmattj
I'm confused as to how the Sunpass works with the rental, and the fees associated. So, for $7 a day you get a transponder and then pay toll charges on top of that? I've got a reservation to pick up a car in Miami but I'm only there for 2 days, then driving up to Orlando and dropping the car off there a week later. Can you only pay the fee for the transponder the first couple days and then drop it since it won't be needed?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:50 pm

My experience picking up at MIA and returning to MCO:

After numerous moving walkways and a short train ride, arrived at the rental car center. SIXT has a cool red glow to their small area with two front counters, easy to spot. This is where it got weird :

Walked up, gave the friendly agent my printout. He says,

"I see you've opted for a third party insurance (I added liability since I don't have my own car insurance, using Amex for primary CDW). We've upgraded you to a full size SUV, and it comes with navigation." (I had reserved a mid size SUV i.e. Rav 4, Ford Escape, and been slightly concerned, since it was after 10PM, that I might end up with something like a Tiguan, nope, nice big Suburban, and now no need to pull out the Tom Tom!)

I say, I just need to add the toll pass, wasn't sure how that worked exactly. He asks where I'm going, I tell him out to Miami Beach, down to the Keys, then up to and around Orlando. He tells me that the $38 for the week is unlimited and will be best, I agree (I also ended up paying $7 for the one extra day since I had the car 8 days, no harm no foul on that)

He prints out the agreement, hands it to me to sign, in ONE spot, no initialing 5 times for declining their insurance, no pushing on loss of use, etc. Asks me how many waters I would like (what? um, 3?) hands them to me along with the agreement folder and, I'm walking to get the vehicle.

Did that actually take like, 8 minutes? The fastest I've EVER been though a car rental. No club card or program membership either (last time with Alamo in Vegas was a ridiculous 45 minute fiasco) Head out to the parking area, show the slip to the agent, she says, your suburban is down on the end, we saddle up (6,408 miles old is this black beauty).

The 15 year old who is obsessed with Escalades is in heaven, asks us to pump up the music in the back "and can I roll down the window???" I'm glad their is an extra seat row so her 12 year old sister can have her own space if needed. (FYI road construction around the airport is horrendous in places now and for the near future)

Returned the car this morning at the location about 3 miles from MCO, with the attendant at the door as I rolled to a stop. As soon as I opened the rear, the shuttle driver was helping put my bags in his shuttle, the attendant said, "Tank is full and everything looks good," and I'm off for the 5 minute ride to the airport in like 4 minutes. WTH?

Total tab was $380. According to the emailed receipt we ambled 862 miles around Florida.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:40 pm

Sixt at MIA?

I'm renting for a long weekend from MIA next month and Sixt has a pretty tempting offer, with XCAR. According to the website, this means "e.g. BMW 5 series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Cadillac XTS or similar," all for about the same as the "luxury" rate at National, which is more typically an ATS or, if you're lucky, CTS or C-Class. Of course, National at least has the Emerald Aisle, and I've had a history of stellar customer service there.

However, the Yelp reviews for that location are pretty appalling: cars not available or not as advertised, hidden charges, hard upsells, insurance being applied whether asked for or not, and endless shenanigans with the Plate Pass. Does anyone on FT have any experience with this location and can they vouch for it, good or bad? And what is the deal with the Plate Pass, anyway - can I bring my New York EZ-Pass, can I get away without the Plate Pass entirely (we're driving to Key West), or should I view it as a mandatory $7/day add-on?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Sixt at MIA?

I rent in MIA every week.

Depending on the time, there can be a wait of 5-6 ppl ahead to pickup. Noticed this during Thurs afternoon 5pm as I'm returning the car.

It seems like they only have about 2 dozen spots in the rental car center so at certain times you may have to wait for a car (I heard quotes of 20 minutes).

As a Platinum I've been upgraded by Sixt beyond the 2-class upgrade just so that I don't have to wait. I also keep backup reservation at Hertz and National.

Of course if you rent a more expensive car there probably won't be much of a wait as I always see BMW 3/4 series and MB ML SUVs waiting. I think if you were renting FDAR or below during peak times there may be a wait.

Upsell really depends on how your look. I come to MIA for work and dress professionally. The only upsell I get is if I want LDW and if I will refuel and a simple no and I will refuel suffice. If you come off as not knowing anything about insurance, you may get more upsell.

Billing has always been a non-issue for me. The total on the reservation PDF matches the final bill (assuming you don't take on extras at the counter).

EZ-Pass is NOT compatible with Florida toll systems (Sunpass). You can buy a Sunpass from Publix, CVS or other retailers listed on Sunpass website. There are two versions. The cheaper one is a one-vehicle-use sticker that goes on the windshield and is rendered inoperable if you attempt to peel it off. The more expensive version is similar to EZ-Pass except it comes with suction cups and can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

One other tip when returning the car. DO NOT got to the Chevron/Shell on NW42nd Ave (SR-953) between NW25th & NW26th Sts. They are the closest to the car rental center they are are gouging by charge more than $1 per gallon more than the Exxon two blocks down NW42nd Ave (SR-953) between NW28th & NW29th Sts. This week they were charging $4.65/gallon whereas if you go 0.5 mile away from the airport, you can find gas at $3.17-$3.25/gallon. Install gasbuddy if you don't have it on your phone.

This price difference is not a one-time fluke. Their business model is to gouge unsuspecting foreigners and it's always been like that for at least the past two years.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 3, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: HH diamond(yr 16, >922 nights ), AA Gld for life (1MM),M&M FTL , Sixt platinum; IATA DTTF
Thumbs up sixt MIA always tries to make it a 10/10 experience for us

There is already a Sixt @ MIA thread if you care to search for it .
We have rented at Sixt MIA for the past 3 years after 20+ years with Alamo ... The service @ Sixt is much better and every employe we ever had contact with really cared if we were happy .Sixt does not do an "upsell" but sometimes propose things like fuel prepaid etc ; if you know what you want they do not push anything and certainly not in the way Alamo aggressive upsell sounded more like a "time share resale desk"even telling outright lies to make an easy extra on the back of jetlagged travellers!
We always have had very nice upgrades , sometimes we mentioned which car we would like ( mostly SUV suburban ) for our 2 or 3 week rental and they did all they could to make us happy ...
We never had to wait arriving around noon , nor for pick up of contract nor for the car and only once about 5 minutes for the drop off .
We always top off our fuel close to MIA Hilton as we drive from Naples ( filling up to the limit at Naples costco )
No experience with Sunpass as we only needed twice to drive on expressway and paid the extra via our cc to Sixt .
Contacting the MIA site by mail- or via the sixt rep on FT - or if you phone, can help to clear specifics such as amount they want for secure deposit- blocked on cc- at pick up of rental ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.