Wiki Posts
Search

how can I upgrade to the right car?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Poster

how can I upgrade to the right car?

Hi,
I've made a reservation for Auto Car in Munich, grade Opel Insignia, and I would like to have a car with the following:
1. Diesel
2. Don't want Puncture Repair Kit but only runflt tires (like in BMW or others??) or spare wheel.
3. Very good (new) brakes since I'm driving in Alps.

I thought of suggestign to add money and upgrade while I'm already at the airport. However, which cars include the mentioned above?
Old May 30, 2012, 8:20 am

can you please make a picture of the RSA when you ask question no. 2 and post it here?

otherwise: ask for a diesel, maybe they have one, maybe they dont. cars are no older than 6 months, breaks should be fine still.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:13 am
Original Poster

runflat tire image

Can be found here:
http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/RunFlatTires.htm
I guess this is RSA?
Anyway to get a spare wheel? Can I add it to my reservation?

Have you meant that all the cars in Sixt are no more than 6 months old?
How do you recommend me to check the brakes? I know someone who lost his brakes while going down from a mountain...

the brakes and Puncture issues are most important to me.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: SIXT Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Gold,
Hi!

Did you know that a blown run flat tire is only good for another 80kms with a maximum speed of 80km/h. So in my opinion they are pretty useless!

I'd like to have a car with a real spare tire but you won't get any new Mercedes, BMW or Audi with a real spare tire in Germany. In other cars it would be difficult as well. The manufactures want to save the additional weight. So if you have a blown tire nowadays you have only 80km left to drive, dosen't matter if run flat or puncture repair set.

The only point the run flat tire helps is the fast loss of tire pressure on the "Autobahn". In my last 500.000 kilometer this has never happend to me.

Almost all SIXT cars are younger than 6 months. Try to ask for a car with a very low milage on airport stations they should have almost new cars. If you get a BMW you can check the need of replacing the brakes in the onboard computer. The computer tells you the remaining distance. A new car has ~80.000km.

Best regards
Sven
Old May 31, 2012, 4:08 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bat2323
Hi,
I've made a reservation for Auto Car in Munich, grade Opel Insignia, and I would like to have a car with the following:
1. Diesel
2. Don't want Puncture Repair Kit but only runflt tires (like in BMW or others??) or spare wheel.
3. Very good (new) brakes since I'm driving in Alps.

I thought of suggestign to add money and upgrade while I'm already at the airport. However, which cars include the mentioned above?
I do not think Sixt keeps track of brake level usage. Furthermore, I would not expect a spare tire.

I believe you're being overly concerned about a trip in the Alps... The cars at Sixt are usually new and in decent shape. If the car develops any problem, I'd call Sixt assistance and would expect a car-swap while they sort out the problems with the existing car. As Canaan said, a spare tire will not help you for long anyway...

In addition to that, the Alps do generally have excellent roads and you're supposed to use the engine brake anyway b y switching to a lower gear...

Have fun with your trip...
Old May 31, 2012, 4:34 am
Original Poster

thanks you!! and..

I guess Canaan talked about runflat tires not a spare tire. A spare tire is like a regular tire.

If the tire blow completely I'm not the repair kit will help (and also don't knwo how to use it) the question is whether tSixt will come if I call or will tell me to hadnle it by myself or find a way to come to their branch.

As for the brakes I will have Automatic Car so I can't really change to a lower gear.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: SIXT Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Gold,
I wouldn't care about the tires very much. In Case you really have a puncture a run flat tire would be the most convenient way to drive for the next 80km. A repair set is also pretty easy to use and everything you need to know is written on the box. In my opinion the handling of a repair set is simpler than replacing the tire with a spare tire or a compact spare tire. As said above only a real spare tire would bring you home. All others only about 80km.

Most cars with automatic transmission do also have a manual mode. If you dont wan't to use it try to stop from time to time to take a picture of the Alps, enjoy the scenerie and allow the breaks to cool down (just to be absolutly safe).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.