SIXT: Don't waste your time.

Old May 18, 2017, 6:01 am
Original Poster

SIXT: Don't waste your time.

Worst customer service. Try to find a telephone number. Difficult. When you finally find it, the number leads you through pre-recorded messages. Nearly impossible to get through to an actual person. If somehow you are able to navigate to a person, you are met with twists that will turn a problem back on to you or they will tell you you must talk to another department. Of course the one I needed to talk with could only be contacted through e-mail. So, I e-mailed. I asked in the e-mail for someone to call me as I was not comfortable with sending mail back and forth without a resolution. Well, they never did call. Only e-mailed me. And again turned my problem back on me stating that it was my issue not theirs.

PLEASE, Do Not rent from them. Once they have your money, they have no reason to help you with any issues. For an extra $10, I could have used a nationally recognized company with true customer support. You don't realize how important a credible and reputable company can be when you need it. Not all companies are the same.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:21 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

While I understand you are upset with Sixt, it would be helpful to the FT community if you could explain what location you rented at and what exactly your issue was. It may help others to avoid the same fate. Just making a general blanket statement that one company or another is to be avoided is of limited use without proper context as there are horror stories about each and every rental company out there.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:28 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
OK, so tell us how you really feel.

All rental car companies are very much alike. I've had and currently have, a running problem with Hertz not posting Gold pts for a prepaid rental, honoring promos-the Q1 bonus pts for award rentals-etc. Occasional replies to emails, not very satisfactory phone service. They always seem to want something faxed to them. Who has a fax machine anymore?

Similar problems with Avis, as their Thailand licensee tried to charge me $187 for a "scratch" on the rear bumper (there were so many scratches on the damage report when I picked up the car, it was probably there from the start, plus they charge customers for them but never fix it,) at their Buri Ram airport location and Avis corporate couldn't have been less helpful. Finally had AMEX step in and get this straightened out.

Plus, I'm saving about $200 on a weekly Benz rental thru Sixt, so if I do have a problem, which I doubt as I've rented from Sixt, on and off, for decades, I'm well compensated. My most recent experience with Sixt was at Phuket Airport, where they are great. Nice nearly new Toyota Altis, a stretched Corolla as an UPG for PLT status, and great price.

YRMV of course.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:14 pm

It's always interesting when someone new to FT comes on to bash a company with their first posts and expects to influence others to not use X airline or Y hotel or Z car rental. Over all my years of traveling, I've had a few problems with all of the "nationally recognized" car rental companies. Stuff happens when you travel. It hasn't stopped me from renting with any of them again. I use Sixt frequently, mostly in Europe and some in the U.S. I've had very good service generally, so despite the OP's entreaty to the contrary, I'll continue to use Sixt.

As AutoSlash said, it would always be better to post details, not just generalities. Great advice!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: AA LTPlat, Marriott LTTitanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I use Sixt exclusively and can't ever remember not getting through to customer service. I usually don't like the answers I get, but talking to them is not a problem. The upgrades I get simply cannot be matched by any other car rental program.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by boogen
The upgrades I get simply cannot be matched by any other car rental program.
Outside Europe, IME it is horrible, I virtually get no upgrades with Sixt and I am Sixt Diamond. In fact, I seem to be treated worse than non-status Sixt customers.

Inside Europe, it is great. UAE is getting better.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:26 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by boogen
I use Sixt exclusively and can't ever remember not getting through to customer service. I usually don't like the answers I get, but talking to them is not a problem. The upgrades I get simply cannot be matched by any other car rental program.
I do agree with the OP that getting through to Sixt on the phone can be an exercise in frustration. They recently "upgraded" their phone system, and now unless you are calling to make a new reservation they basically just tell you to go to the website, which can be problematic, since their website in many ways sucks. For example, if you make a reservation anywhere other than Sixt.com and want to confirm or change your reservation, good luck with that. You are SOL.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I haven't used Sixt a lot, but the few times I have I've been quite happy. I also haven't had too many issues with car rental companies, but when I have the CS has been horrible. Status doesn't matter. So generally, I go for the savings and expect the worst if something is needed re CS.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I actually feel treated well by Sixt. If you email them with exactly what bugs you they do respond rather quickly in writing. I prefer that to calling and being dependent on what the agent wants to understand.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
I've rented with SIXT both in Europe (Greece) and in the USA (LAX). Didn't have any issues with their luxury cars, their customer service, or getting through to someone when I called their 800 number.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:32 pm

I used Sixt for the first time and haven't had any issues that I normally wouldn't get elsewhere specially at Enterprise. I booked one day for a LCAR wanting a C class. They said they had a BMW 3 series which I'm not a huge fan of Tbh. Noticed in a booklet they had the CT6 and asked about that. Said it was a $15 dollar upgrade and took it. Didn't notice till after they added LDW when I pre paid and didn't checked it. Oh well I'll just eat the $25 since it's only one day and I'm in a place I haven't been before.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Rented SIXT back in December. Noticed I was hit with a fueling charge despite returning the car in full. Called SIXT, refunded fuel charge. Took about 15 mins, but still got it done. Maybe its because I am SIXT plat?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kxc262
Rented SIXT back in December. Noticed I was hit with a fueling charge despite returning the car in full. Called SIXT, refunded fuel charge. Took about 15 mins, but still got it done. Maybe its because I am SIXT plat?
I make a habit of putting the refuel gas on the same bank card as the car rental. And I refill at the closest gas station to the car rental drop-off location. I also take photos of this so that I have time stamped evidence. That way if the rental location makes a stink about something, I can say "voila, you should fix this".
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I make a habit of putting the refuel gas on the same bank card as the car rental. And I refill at the closest gas station to the car rental drop-off location. I also take photos of this so that I have time stamped evidence. That way if the rental location makes a stink about something, I can say "voila, you should fix this".
Or you can just ask for a receipt and take a pic of it before tossing. Then you have it if the fee ever shows up
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I have filled a car before to the brim, then let that sink down and topped it again. On return to Sixt the guage was no longer full. As the attendant could see from the diesel on the car he let me off with the extra charge.
It seems Volvos are amongst the worst for this .
I am quite happy with Sixt and any issues have been sorted quickly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.