FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sixt | Sixt Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sixt-sixt-card-690/)
-   -   Anyone used SIXT car rental at MIA? [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sixt-sixt-card/1223773-anyone-used-sixt-car-rental-mia-merged.html)

ticu Jun 7, 2011 1:53 pm

Anyone used SIXT car rental at MIA? [merged]

Their rates are very low compared to others, are they for real renting reliable cars, or it's a joke? I've been able to reserve an economy for about $15/day all tax and LDW included. Anyone who had any good/bad experinces with SIXT/Miami at MIA please share.
Thanks!

Ocn Vw 1K Jun 7, 2011 3:51 pm

Please follow the thread to the Other Rental Car Agencies forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

deltheking Jun 7, 2011 8:09 pm

Sixt is a pretty well known company. It is mainly a European agency. And no problems there. The reason why Sixt prices are less is b'cos it is an off airport location and has a shuttle.
And as I always suggest - always buy the rental car insurance and Sixt's rental insurance is a pretty good price. Safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

JohnnyColombia Jun 7, 2011 8:23 pm

Sixt is in the Rental Car Centre with all the other major car rental companies so is off site but so are all the others.

The RCC is brilliant, helpful signage, information desks and useful people are banned by state law in FL so you sort of just have to wander around until you see a funny shaped shuttle bus. The pavements (they call them sidewalks) are specially designed at MIA so no matter where you leave your trolley, it will roll into the road and hit a car.

$15 sounds like the going rate. I got a whole Dodge Charger for $30 per day from Thrifty. I just booked a compact for $12 next week through Alamo.

Be careful when they try to sell you extras at these places, the Thrifty guy told me that I would need to buy a SunPass too, I told him I was going up the I-95 and didn't need one, he said oh you sure do, there is a toll gate and they no longer accept cash. I didn't believe him and was right not to, they do accept cash on the I-95 and it is about $1.75 which turned out to be exactly the amount of money I had in my sock

ticu Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm

I see RCC shuttle seams to be not a great connecting tool. Is it psssible to walk on foot from the terminal to the Rental Car Centre? Are there sidewalks, walkways, etc???

ticu Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Just spoke to Sixt about my upcoming 9-day rental at MIA. Well, they are asking for my 9-day car rental period either 7$/day for a SunPass (i.e. 63 extra dollars) or 10$/day extra for each day (i.e. 90 extra dollars) if I don't opt for the Sun Pass but I end up using non-cash toll roads (i.e. unserviced by attendants) at least once.
As I drive towards and from the Florida Keys, what would be the best recommendation for how to drive my rental from/to MIA and what to buy/not to buy from Sixt?
Using SR 836, SR 826, and US 1 would be a big headache or would work just fine and won't make me also pay highway tolls of anykind? Locals or frequent Keys travellers, please advice.
Thanks!

Mrp Alert Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 16538886)
I see RCC shuttle seams to be not a great connecting tool. Is it psssible to walk on foot from the terminal to the Rental Car Centre? Are there sidewalks, walkways, etc???

The Monorail will eventually connect to the terminal. It's not a safe or convenient walk. Minimum service standard is a shuttle bus every 6 minutes iirc. How is that not convenient? Many airports have delays 2-3x that long.

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 16553368)
As I drive towards and from the Florida Keys, what would be the best recommendation for how to drive my rental from/to MIA and what to buy/not to buy from Sixt?
Using SR 836, SR 826, and US 1 would be a big headache or would work just fine and won't make me also pay highway tolls of anykind? Locals or frequent Keys travellers, please advice.
Thanks!

There is a forum on FT Dedicated to Florida travel. Have a look/post there and you will probably find your answer.

gatorjos Nov 13, 2011 7:06 am

No need to get the Sunpass ahead of time. You can pay cash everywhere, and you would be hard pressed to rack up $6/day on toll charges in Florida, unless you're planning on just cursing up and down the turnpike all day, and that doesn't sound like a lot of fun :)

100,000miler Nov 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Last week I just rented at last minute from SIXT as my 5 day cost with Avis was going to be $260 and with SIXT even at the last minute I got $134 a/i for same period.

They also told me there rates are the same all year, no black out periods. Previously I have rented at Xmas with Alamo and Avis at exorbinant rates.

I love SIXT, and they have a location at FLL in the car rental centre as well.

Their desk is small at MIA (only 2 or 3 checkin desks available) and I suspect at FLL too, but I did not have a long wait. They were very accomodating and very nice to me. In comparison the line up at Alamo was huge.

Bye Bye Avis!

iang000 Nov 18, 2011 9:22 pm

I rented a car from them last week. I booked a compact but they upgraded me to a brand new Ford Taurus with all the bells and whistles. That part was good. The cost was not so good as a 2 day rental was about $100 a/i. I didn't use the car much. No tolls at all. I noticed that after the first day the fuel still showed full. I knew it wasn't full but from a rough calculation I decided to put a couple of gallons in the tank to be sure I can get to the airport the next day and wouldn't need to worry. I didn't do much driving the second day either, maybe another 20 miles in all. The fuel guage still showed full. I returned the car and gave the guy the key. It was very awkward to not have him go to the car with me to inspect it and get the mileage and the gas level. I was a bit worried so I went to the office myself and asked the clerk if I needed to do anything more. She said not to worry and that I will get a credit on my credit card within a few days. They take double the rental amount on the credit card and refund the difference when the car is returned. I checked today and they still have a charge of about 42 dollars more than the original rental charge on my card. I am thinking that they are trying to charge me for the gas, eventhough the needle was right up to the full point. Now I have nothing to show that it was full when I brought it in and it's my word against theirs. I should have insisted I get something in writing. If they said it was not full when I brought it back I could have gone around the corner to fill it and pay about 5 bucks instead of 42.

Gary Coughlan Nov 19, 2011 3:39 am

Originally Posted by iang000 (Post 17478565)
I rented a car from them last week. I booked a compact but they upgraded me to a brand new Ford Taurus with all the bells and whistles. That part was good. The cost was not so good as a 2 day rental was about $100 a/i. I didn't use the car much. No tolls at all. I noticed that after the first day the fuel still showed full. I knew it wasn't full but from a rough calculation I decided to put a couple of gallons in the tank to be sure I can get to the airport the next day and wouldn't need to worry. I didn't do much driving the second day either, maybe another 20 miles in all. The fuel guage still showed full. I returned the car and gave the guy the key. It was very awkward to not have him go to the car with me to inspect it and get the mileage and the gas level. I was a bit worried so I went to the office myself and asked the clerk if I needed to do anything more. She said not to worry and that I will get a credit on my credit card within a few days. They take double the rental amount on the credit card and refund the difference when the car is returned. I checked today and they still have a charge of about 42 dollars more than the original rental charge on my card. I am thinking that they are trying to charge me for the gas, eventhough the needle was right up to the full point. Now I have nothing to show that it was full when I brought it in and it's my word against theirs. I should have insisted I get something in writing. If they said it was not full when I brought it back I could have gone around the corner to fill it and pay about 5 bucks instead of 42.

Please send me the details and I'll check this for you.

[email protected]

Gary -Sixt Customer Service Team

iang000 Dec 8, 2011 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Gary Coughlan (Post 17479300)
Please send me the details and I'll check this for you.

[email protected]

Gary -Sixt Customer Service Team

Sent 3 email messages and no reply at all. Not even an acknowledgement that my email was received...waste of time. Sixt is officially off my car rental list.

Gary Coughlan Dec 9, 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by iang000 (Post 17588877)
Sent 3 email messages and no reply at all. Not even an acknowledgement that my email was received...waste of time. Sixt is officially off my car rental list.

Please accept my apologies for the delay coming back to you. I have credited the fuel charge in full, please allow 5-7 working days for the refund to show in your account.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help arranging your next rental with us.

Gary - Customer Service Team

docbert Dec 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Anyone else had any experience with Sixt at MIA?

Their prices seem good, but I'm seeing multiple reports of people being overcharged for fuel, as well as some conflicting reports over SunPass charges.

obsyow Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm

I had the same experience with Sixt at MIA. Great base price but had to pay $7 per day for tolls as many tolls are no cash (many other car rental companies also charge this). I returned the car with the fuel showing full. The attendant did not give me a receipt. I was charged for fueling. Customer service quickly sent me a copy of the invoice but ignored me when I asked for a refund for the fuel charge.