Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Anyone used SIXT car rental at MIA? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone used SIXT car rental at MIA? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I can see the yelp comments being accurate at certain times of the day/week and that’s due to the Sixt’s clientele and the physical constraints at MIA. It’s not that Sixt doesn’t have the cars; it’s Sixt not having the cars in the car rental center.

All the car rental companies keep their fleet at off-site parking lots around the airport. They bring in the vehicles into the car rental center to match expected demand. The problem with Sixt is that they have only 20-30 spots whereas Enterprise/Hertz/Avis each has hundreds. Because the big 3 US have more cars in the rental center, they are better off at handling peak demand.

On top of that Sixt’s clientele is European/South American. The US companies’ clientele trickle in in small numbers over the course of the day to pickup their cars. On any given flight, some may show up shortly after landing with just carryons while others show up 45 minutes later with checked bags. But when your clientele are primarily foreigners, on any given wide-body intercontinental flights, they all show up at the same time after claiming their checked bags.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 3, 2014 at 7:37 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: HH diamond(yr 16, >922 nights ), AA Gld for life (1MM),M&M FTL , Sixt platinum; IATA DTTF
Talking How CBP officers help to avoid "en masse " pick up of cars at Sixt MIA desk

Originally Posted by seawolf
.... But when your clientele are primarily foreigners, on any given wide-body intercontinental flights, they all show up at the same time after claiming their checked bags.
Seawolf ,
FWIW :
As we always fly in on a LH or LX widebody from europe- trailing another TAM or LAN arrival- we can only say that is doubtfull due to the help from the "fine&friendly" reception by the CBP officers all international arrivals and tourists get at MIA before being allowed on US soil ...
There is never , ever a "mass of touristy people" leaving the terminal at the same time as said welcoming reception can easily take up to 2-3 hrs between wheels down on the runway after a 10 hr TATL flight and leisurly strolling between the 3 custom officers desks while getting glared at , of course in a welcoming way ...
But we keep coming to the US and loving it enough to endure the CBP welcome each time - must be something masochistic ??-
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Member

Sixt at MIA?

Had a new agent today since I took an earlier flight than the one I deal with on a regular basis. This agent went thru the insurance/toll/gas selling routine.

Quasi lying about about my AMEX not providing coverage for vehicle. How would she know whether my card covers or not?

Quasi lying about Sixt charging less per gallon of gas than outside. The gas station outside the car rental center probably does charge more ($1.5-$2 per gallon more than the ones 3-4 blocks away). But right now gas is around $2.75 a gallon.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:43 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
My experience at this location has been very good. I have always found the staff to be professional and the process pretty straight forward. The only "problem" that I have encountered is not having my rental credited to my TK account after I gave the agent my card upon checking in, but that might have been an issue at the other end.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:08 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Diamond with a January booking one-way to FLL. Booked a PCAR—what is my expectation to model availability in this class?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Diamond with a January booking one-way to FLL. Booked a PCAR—what is my expectation to model availability in this class?
I've seen 228i and CLA in this class most often. Seen A3 sedan every now and then. You should have no problem asking for an A4, 3 series, 5 series even as a Platinum.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:44 pm

Hi, I just made a reservation for next month , in Miami. 10 days total.

My reservation ( not paid yet ) is for a SFAR vehicle. What I can expect ?
I need a 7 passenger car.

Thanks
Alan
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Sixt at MIA?

In my opinion, most likely a Traverse but vehicle details does not guarantee SFAR seats 7.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Sixt at MIA?

Made a last minute 4-day reservation for PCAR - $195. Seems like the manager or senior staff (of German descent) was working during that time training a newer employee. For the first time in the past 6-7 rentals MIA, Platinum status was recognized without me having to bring it up. A two-class upgrade from PCAR would be a 5 series but unfortunate not available. He offered a choice of 3-series (LCAR), X1 (PFAR), SRX (LFAR). Took SRX but found a 2015 X5 (first time I've seen it at MIA or FLL). Was offered an upgrade for about $10/day due to Platinum. In all, a 4-day rental in an X5 for $230.

Also saw an A8 and Mustang 5.0.

National/Hertz was charging the same for a midsize.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: SIXT Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Gold,
Could you please write something about the X5 (engine, options etc.)
Thanks
Sven
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Canaan
Could you please write something about the X5 (engine, options etc.)
Thanks
Sven
Unlike their German counterparts, the Sixt US BMW fleet are base level trim (eg cheapest available configuration) whether it be 2/3/5-series or X5. Only reason the X5 even has NAVI is because the F15 platform comes with navigation as standard equipment and even then, it's not very good as it misplaced the location of the St. Regis Bal Harbour by a good half mile.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Europcar Privilege Executive
Unlike their German counterparts, the Sixt US BMW fleet are base level trim (eg cheapest available configuration) whether it be 2/3/5-series or X5. Only reason the X5 even has NAVI is because the F15 platform comes with navigation as standard equipment and even then, it's not very good as it misplaced the location of the St. Regis Bal Harbour by a good half mile.
@seawolf: So for a nice SUV, I'd need to opt for an american counterpart? Planning to visit MIA in July this year..

- o
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ohko
@seawolf: So for a nice SUV, I'd need to opt for an american counterpart? Planning to visit MIA in July this year..

- o
I know it's a bigger vehicle but the 2015 Tahoe LTZ in my opinion is a better vehicle.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:51 pm
Original Member

Sixt at MIA?

The Sixt US X5 does not even have a rear view camera. For a nice SUV go with National and book a full size SUV. Good chance of getting a LTZ model of a Suburban or Tahoe and if you need navigation, make sure it works before driving it off the lot. Both these models have quality issues with the navigation antenna.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:29 pm

The Sixt US X5 does not even have a rear view camera. For a nice SUV go with National and book a full size SUV. Good chance of getting a LTZ model of a Suburban or Tahoe and if you need navigation, make sure it works before driving it off the lot. Both these models have quality issues with the navigation antenna.
Yes, that is the oddest thing. To have front and rear sensors but no camera. I have yet to have an issue with navigation on the LTZ Tahoe. I actually got a 4x4 version with an amaretto color interior. A fully loaded LTZ is hard to beat, it has comfort and technology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.