Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Sleep in SIN Lounge or get a hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleep in SIN Lounge or get a hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by N227UA
Mind you, UA*G does not get you into SKL and I am pretty sure nor does UA premium BP. You have to travel on SQ premium class to access SKL.
As *G you do get access to the Krisflyer Gold Lounge in T3 and the SATS Premier Lounge in T2, but neither of these offers more than reclining seats and would IMHO make pretty noisy places to try to sleep. I'll add my voice to the choir and suggest booking the transit hotel... or just spend an extra night in a city center hotel (you can get Hotel 81 etc for about the same price) and take a taxi in the morning.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Palal
Since the UA flight to NRT leaves around 7:30AM, I'm wondering if I should just check in online and get to the airport around the time of the last MRT train, go through security and use the SKL to sleep until flight time, take a shower and eat breakfast, or if I should get a cheap hotel room.

The SQ website says T2 SKL has "Slumberettes".... has anyone tried them at all?

Thanks!
United is operating from T3 now, not T2...

And there is no way to get a boarding pass to clear immigration the night before, as far as I know.

Although Changi was just voted "Best Airport to sleep in by SleepinginAirports.com (http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/singapore.htm), that clearly refers to the area after you clear immigration- the check in area only has small uncomfortable plastic chairs.

So you are much better off staying landside at a hotel in Singapore, and grabbing a cab at 5:30 am in the morning (BTW, the flight to NRT leaves at 7:10 am, not 7:30, unless you are on the ANA codeshare). Friend of mine just stayed at the Value Hotel- recommended for a cheap overnight- S$79 for a clean room with a 32" flatpanel TV- http://www.valuehotel.com.sg/. Better than Hotel 81 or Fragrance.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Mind you, UA*G does not get you into SKL
Correct.
I am pretty sure nor does UA premium BP. You have to travel on SQ premium class to access SKL.
Wrong.

C/F class pax on UA get SKL access, per rule. Period.

Dave
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions/help!
I will probably just book a city center hotel and cab it in the morning. The cab fare should be around S$20, right?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Last year I flew in and out on SQ and used their lounge as I had a 20 hour layover. Of course, we did not stay in the in the airport the whole time but the lounge was good we cancelled the transit hotel and even a downtown hotel day room. The lounge has very comfortable lounges(sofas) and is very quiet in the back corners. The food is excellent and the showers are better and cleaner than many hotels. I'd pass on the hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by flip927
Last year I flew in and out on SQ and used their lounge as I had a 20 hour layover. Of course, we did not stay in the in the airport the whole time but the lounge was good we cancelled the transit hotel and even a downtown hotel day room. The lounge has very comfortable lounges(sofas) and is very quiet in the back corners. The food is excellent and the showers are better and cleaner than many hotels. I'd pass on the hotel.
Ditto!
Quiet back sofa seats to snooze, good clean showers, excellent food, great computer work area, if only they had personal dvd player with big tv
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Mind you, UA*G does not get you into SKL and I am pretty sure nor does UA premium BP. You have to travel on SQ premium class to access SKL.

This is correct.
Not true. UA C or F gets you into SKL. The other lounge is for all the *G wannabees who are traveling steerage.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 2:24 pm

I've done the lounge-bum thing and have used the transit hotel too.

Ya know what? The best option, IMO, is just to stay in a nice hotel in town and then take a cab to the airport.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: nobody
Does anyone know if you can get a boarding pass at their ticket office in Raffles Quay? Assuming I have no luggage to check and the office is opened (M-F).
Old Aug 3, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I have another question. I am flying into SIN at 2:00am, and will be leaving
SIN at around 4pm on Jetstar. What are my option? I am NW asia gold, and i should have access to CI dynasty lounge (not sure the operating hour) and also, I have access to Plaza Premium lounge.

i suppose i cant get a boarding pass in the transit area since it is jetstar, right? but can i stay in airside until the morning (ie, sleep somewhere nicer). i dont plan on paying anything except maybe shower (if i cant access to CI lounge). i had slept once after clear immigration. had a good sleep for 6 hours on the viewing deck (a lot of people sleep there, and i logged 6 hours with a sleeping bag + pillows+blankets).

since jetstar wont checkin until 2 hours prior, i cant go back to airside until quite late. (no intention to buy a refundable ticket.)

thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I've done the lounge-bum thing and have used the transit hotel too.

Ya know what? The best option, IMO, is just to stay in a nice hotel in town and then take a cab to the airport.
Is it possible to stay in town and take the train in the morning and still make the 7:10 am UA flight to NRT? I tried to look at the SMRT website, but it wasn't clear what time the trains start running on weekdays.

Also, does anyone know what time the trains stop on Sunday night? Is it possible to catch the train into town after landing on the UA flight from HKG at 11:35 pm? Assuming, of course, immigration doesn't take too long.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:27 pm

On my last overnight trip through SIN, I just hung out a the movie theatre in T3. Grabbed some snacks at the convience store nearby and sat through a couple of movies. Very comfortable seats and (fortunately for me) some decent movies.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
According to this: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html
UA premium BP does give access to SKL. Can anybody confirm?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by wilp888
According to this: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html
UA premium BP does give access to SKL. Can anybody confirm?
YES. I can ABSOLUTELY confirm - as I have done on many occasions - UA C/F BP's gives access to the SKL. Period. End of story.
N227UA is simply wrong when stating that Premium BP's don't allow access. Posts #18 and #22 in this thead address your question directly.

OTOH, N227UA is RIGHT that *G combined with a Y BP will NOT allow access to the SKL, as SKL is not a *G lounge, per rule.

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bseller
YES. I can ABSOLUTELY confirm - as I have done on many occasions - UA C/F BP's gives access to the SKL. Period. End of story.
N227UA is simply wrong when stating that Premium BP's don't allow access. Posts #18 and #22 in this thead address your question directly.

OTOH, N227UA is RIGHT that *G combined with a Y BP will NOT allow access to the SKL, as SKL is not a *G lounge, per rule.

Dave
Thanks for the confirmation. I passed through SIN in March and asked at the Krisflyer Gold Lounge which was the right lounge for my Business Class BP and was told that (Krisflyer) was the right lounge. I should have walked on over to the SKL and ask there instead of assuming the rules had changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.