Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

LCC flights for SIN-KUL soon

LCC flights for SIN-KUL soon

Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up LCC flights for SIN-KUL soon

Just a heads-up, as this was a bit buried by the avalanche of A380 news -- the Malaysian government has finally decided to allow LCC flights between SIN and KUL:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...re-AirAsia.php

It's not a full open skies agreement though, just 4 flights/day at off-peak hours, two to be run by AirAsia and two by a Sing carrier (probably Tiger). It's unclear how fast an agreement will be signed, but AK is hoping to start flights in December and is promising to sell tickets at a third of the SQ/MH monopoly price of ~US$300 R/T.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:45 am

Good news indeed, although 4 flights a day is not many. I wonder if other destinations in Malaysia will follow?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
Good news indeed, although 4 flights a day is not many. I wonder if other destinations in Malaysia will follow?
A full Singapore-Malaysia open skies agreement is set to take effect on January 1st 2009, and AK is already promising to run 11 flights/day between SIN-KUL once it does!
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal
A full Singapore-Malaysia open skies agreement is set to take effect on January 1st 2009, and AK is already promising to run 11 flights/day between SIN-KUL once it does!
Maybe Singapore Airlines will adjust their price too, and many will be more than happy to continue flying with them
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:19 am

Good news, I believe Air Asia will also fly from Penang and Kuching, hope it's Langkawi too !
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Aircoco
Maybe Singapore Airlines will adjust their price too, and many will be more than happy to continue flying with them
Or more likely is that Tiger will take Air Asia on in regards to price. I predict that SQ will pull out of everywhere except KL where they can take the cream of the business market and that AK and TR will fight over the rest.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: some
Awesome news!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:49 am
iwc

Jetstar starts service SIN-KUL on 1 February. They are kicking off service with a
SIN$ 0.88 fare.

*Terms and Conditions
-Offer valid for booking from 5 - 8 January 2008.
-Travel from 1 February to 25 October 2008.
-Offer valid for new bookings only.
-Payment via POSB Everyday credit card to Jetstar Asia upon internet booking.
-All bookings are final. No changes or transfers are allowed.
-Jetstar Asia reserves the right to cancel any bookings made from non bona fide means and no refunds will be entertained.
-Normal conditions of carriage apply. For details, refer to www.jetstar.com
-Jetstar Asia Airways Pte Ltd reserves the right to change flight schedules without prior notice.
-Not valid with other offers, privileges, promotions or discounts.
-Jetstar reserves the right to amend these Terms & Conditions at any time at their discretion without prior notice.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Just today the Air Asia website is also now allowing bookings between the two cities. Interestingly, it originally quoted a fare of 39 SGD one way per person, but our itinerary for 2 adults totalled 200 SGD. Watch the serious taxes and fees! For only about 350 SGD more, I was able to book F class on SQ, so went ahead with that, as am paying with USD.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am in KL right now and there was an article in Friday's "Star" newspaper describing the new Air Asia flights beginning on Feb 1 and mentioning that 30,000 free tickets would be available until Sunday for flights through October 25. The non-free seats are 39 SGD but taxes are 61 SGD, so 100 SGD is not really that impressive for this route. Incidentally, some free seats are still available for various dates later on. The total cost for these tickets would be SGD 61.

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
Just today the Air Asia website is also now allowing bookings between the two cities. Interestingly, it originally quoted a fare of 39 SGD one way per person, but our itinerary for 2 adults totalled 200 SGD. Watch the serious taxes and fees! For only about 350 SGD more, I was able to book F class on SQ, so went ahead with that, as am paying with USD.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:00 pm

I was just on Air Asia's web site and it looks like zero dollar fares are available again for numerous dates over the next few months. I just booked a SIN to KUL flight for 61 SGD on Feb 22. At this price point, it is competitive with the bus that I have been taking between Singapore and KL previously. Incidentally, according to their newspaper ads, it looks like Air Asia uses T1 at Changi.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Star GLD, Hilton GLD, Hyatt Plat
That is great news!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:16 pm

I wanted to mention that the zero dollar fares are still available and not only between SIN and KUL but to many of the destinations flown by Air Asia. I just booked six flights to various parts of Malaysia, for just the cost of taxes and fees. KUL to KCH came out to USD 22. ^

Also, I noticed that when selecting express boarding for flights between SIN and KUL, it actually does not appear to charge the express boarding fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.