Buying eyeglasses in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:37 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Buying eyeglasses in Singapore

Compliments of the season, fair-weathered FTers,

I overheard a while ago that Singapore is home to good deals on eyeglasses. I haven't been to the optometrist in a while, and since I'll be in the Singapore-area for a few months starting next year, I figure I should seize the opportunity. Is anyone familiar with this skit? Even though I won't be living in Singapore, do you think it's feasible to go into a particular store one weekend and have a check-up, and then come back in one month to pick up a pair of glasses? Ha, that sounds pretty asinine, but it would allow me to have my monthly allowance of chili crab too...please advise, and thanks.

The Tad
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
I've bought both ordinary glasses and prescription sunglasses in Singapore several times. You do have to be a little bit careful in that you get what your prescription says and I'd actually recommend getting your eyes tested at home and taking that prescription with you (if you can do this in the US - you can in the UK).

But as for choosing them on one visit and collecting them on the next, should be no problem.

Can't remember where we bought them from when we've been there but we've bought from more than one place. And they are cheaper than the UK. Not sure what glasses cost in the US so not sure about the cheapness related to there.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I now routinely buy my eyeglasses in Singapore. I'm particularly fond of a brand from Belgium that I can find in the US, but one store in Singapore has a very good selection and reasonable prices. The store is called "eyes at work," and it's located in Millennia Walk, one of the malls near the Ritz-Carlton. As in the US, prices tagged on frames can be discounted a bit through oral negotiation, especially if you buy multiple sets of frames. They've offered to make the lenses too for an additional $150 USD, which would have taken a day or two. I usually don't have that much time, so I just take 'em to Bangkok and have the lenses made there for closer to $100.

I have had my eyes tested in the US and bring the prescription with me. If you are confident that the prescription on your lenses is accurate, you can just give them to the lensmaker and the prescription can be copied.

I'll be back at eyes at work in a couple of weeks, buying more frames.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:15 am

Singapore is one of the nations that has a high percentage of its population wearing glasses (or spectacles as we call it)... So u can find eyeglasses shops everywhere in Singapore... Major malls along Orchard Road, and neighborhood malls... U can easily get a cheap pair for ~SG$100 and a decent pair for > SG$300...

As for collection, u can either do it the same day... Or, if u require lenses that they dont have in stock (especially if u have high astigmatism), then u can collect, say, a week later... The store would usually hold your glasses for about 3 months...

As for chilli crabs... U missed it... In July, when the food festival is held, the tourism board was giving out coupons to tourists that allow them to have free chilli crabs at selected restaurants... By the way, if u do go for the chili crabs, ask for fried buns... break one apart and use it to scoop up the yummy chilli crab gravy... Oh, simply sedap...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by SingaPaul
Singapore is one of the nations that has a high percentage of its population wearing glasses (or spectacles as we call it)...
That's certainly consistent with what I've noticed when walking around Singapore. Tons of people wear glasses, and the frames are often very fashionable.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't know if I'll have enough time to get a prescription in the US in time, but how come it's not recommended to do the full exam and frame purchase in Singapore?

Oh, and SingaPaul, ah yes I've been to the country a couple of times, and each time I thoroughly enjoyed chili crab, especially with the mantou. Now I actually have a non-cholesterol related reason to go back!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
I don't know if I'll have enough time to get a prescription in the US in time, but how come it's not recommended to do the full exam and frame purchase in Singapore?
IMO, u will do just fine with the eye examination in Singapore... The optometrists are all trained and certified.... with a professional diploma... not sure its equivalent here in the states... maybe like an associate degree???

Bring along a pair of your old glasses... They will determine the old prescription from there... and then continue with the routine eye-examination... If u are comfortable with your current prescription, go thru the test... and at the end of it, check with the optometrist if it is very different from the old ones.... if not, just tell him/her that u prefer to stick with the old prescription... something i do often... coz mine doesn't change much.. and hate to have my eyes adjust to the new prescription...

There are a few major franchises in singapore...
Paris Miki
Capitol Optical
Nanyang Optical

Oh, i just remembered one thing while checking the website for u... When u are in Singapore, either buying your eyeglasses or at a restaurant... Before paying with credit cards, ask if any major credit cards offer u a discount... For example, Paris Miki offer 10% discount on eye frames for citi cards holder... But i am not sure if they limit the promo to cards issue in Singapore only... But chances are, they wont be able to tell, given the vast number of expats working in Singapore....
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:38 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I used to have to report early to football camp to make sure I received a helmet that fit my head, I've tried numerous stores for glasses in Singapore and the frames never came close to being able to fit. Just an FYI for those who have a large noggin.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'll be back at eyes at work in a couple of weeks, buying more frames.
Well, those couple of weeks have passed. Mr. Megatop and I went to see Molly at eyes at work yesterday and we each picked up some new frames. She delivered great service and spot-on advice. She wasn't pushy in the least. And they have a simply incredible selection. Mr. Megatop and I are quiet pleased, as usual. Now we'll take the frames to BKK and have the lenses made there. (Not enough time to have 'em done while here, and may be slightly cheaper up in Bangkok.)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: 2MM, *wood, Hyatt GP
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Well, those couple of weeks have passed. Mr. Megatop and I went to see Molly at eyes at work yesterday and we each picked up some new frames. She delivered great service and spot-on advice. She wasn't pushy in the least. And they have a simply incredible selection. Mr. Megatop and I are quiet pleased, as usual. Now we'll take the frames to BKK and have the lenses made there. (Not enough time to have 'em done while here, and may be slightly cheaper up in Bangkok.)
Thanks for the follow-up........I'll be in Singapore next month and will look up your source! Great tips and comments!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
Fan of "Eyes @ Work

I buy my Alain Mikli from them for years....Great service....
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Greetings to your day everyone,

My current glasses are quite bothersome and I reckon the prescription has changed a bit, and I have the opportunity to be in Singapore soon enough, so I'd like to query you helpful FTers. If I am looking to have a basic eye exam and would like to get a pair of (not the most contemporary but decent and sturdy) glasses with lenses to boot, what would be a ballpark figure (if possible) for this combo? In fact MegatopLover, I strolled into Eyes at Work last May, and they were quite friendly, and gave my glasses a little tweaking, before they became out of whack again.

Thanks for the assistance.

-TBS
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
It's been a few years since I got glasses in Singapore. I used Optics 2000 which was extremely helpful. http://my.st701.com/shops/Optics2000/ Then, there was little if any savings over U.S. prices. The last time there, I had them do an exam and prescription. Cost was reasonable, but I ended up having the exam redone at Kaiser at home. I then bought the glasses thru Costco.

The positive of using Singapore is that the turnaround for glasses and frames is very quick. That includes photo gray intended for the tropics. You can also bring your own frames and they will provide lenses.

You might PM me as I have a local FT friend who has a very inexpensive source for basic frames and lenses in NJ.

Bottom line, do not expect to save money on glasses in Singapore.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I've never paid for a basic eye exam in Singapore. Its always been complimentary if you buy the frames and lenses from them. my last two pairs with the scratchproof lenses were both around SGD200, far cheaper than similar choices in Detroit and London, just for a frame of reference.

edit: I went to Spectacle Hut at Plaza Singapura and Koolook at Suntec the last two times, before that usually Nanyang Optical at Parkway Parade.

Last edited by Savage25; Apr 3, 2009 at 5:32 pm
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by opushomes
The last time there, I had them do an exam and prescription. Cost was reasonable, but I ended up having the exam redone at Kaiser at home. I then bought the glasses thru Costco.
That is what I said, cost actually was $S15 and I did not buy the glasses from them. Exam at home is $US20 copay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.