Reload this Page >

Regent hotel

Regent hotel

Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Regent hotel

I noticed a thread suggesting that the regent was 30 mins from an MTR.

That seems a bit excessive looking at the maps - anyone have any thoughts on this?

I can get a rate of S$500/nt for a suite incl breakfast & club access, which seems very good when a simple towers room at the Sheraton is the same price...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tony
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Its actually something like 1600 miles from an MTR station

Its only a 15 min walk to an MRT station though. Plus, cabs are cheap in Singapore.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Savage25
Smart @rse

Seriously though, thanks for that. We'll have the kids with us so I prefer not to use taxis (Avis will do us an airport transfer with car seats) but I guess there will be a steady procession of buses along the main road too... That rate just seems soooo attractive, for what I understand is one of the very best properties in town (and coupled with the AF mistake fare we bagged to get there would make for a rather sweet deal all in!)
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
for what I understand is one of the very best properties in town
Only true 20+ years ago when it was the Intercontinental
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:37 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Here's what's supposed to be the bus route from the closest stop to the Regent heading to Orchard Station.

Here's the schedule with SBS buses that serve the route.

Here's an overview of the local bus stops close to the Regent.

I haven't been in that area for a while. Is all the major construction on the adjoining St Regis hotel done? Google Maps continues to show a bare spot.

Is it true that Hotel 81 is putting in a new hotel right next to Orchard Station, complete with the food stalls kicked out from Scotts Picnic food court (RIP)? I might have to move out of Geylang and the Palace, if so.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjh
Is it true that Hotel 81 is putting in a new hotel right next to Orchard Station, complete with the food stalls kicked out from Scotts Picnic food court (RIP)? I might have to move out of Geylang and the Palace, if so.
Apparently there is no hotel component at the Orchard Turn development, just a massive mall and a 50+ storey condominium. Residential development in prime commercial spots seems to be more profitable than hotel operations in Singapore right now.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:05 pm
rjh

I was joking about Hotel 81 moving in there, though not without a note of hope . After all, it would have great proximity to Orchard Towers, which I note with amusement, has its own Wikipedia entry.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjh
I was joking about Hotel 81 moving in there, though not without a note of hope .
I did guess you were joking, but the point I was making is that hardly any new hotel will be built in Singapore right now even at such prime location. The demolition of the Ascott to make way for more private apartments seems to reinforce this trend. It wont be long before you find your favourite Hotel 81 in Geylang being replaced by an apartment block
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh
Here's what's supposed to be the bus route from the closest stop to the Regent heading to Orchard Station.

Here's the schedule with SBS buses that serve the route.

Here's an overview of the local bus stops close to the Regent.

I haven't been in that area for a while. Is all the major construction on the adjoining St Regis hotel done? Google Maps continues to show a bare spot.

Thanks for all that. The St Regis is available to book from the end of this year according to Starwood.com, so I assume construction is probably through by now.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25

Its only a 15 min walk to an MRT station though. Plus, cabs are cheap in Singapore.
MTR is the term used in HK???

I agree with Savage25 that the walk shouldn't be more than 15min.

Originally Posted by rjh
I dont think it is worth the effort to take the bus to Orchard MRT Station... It is only one bus-stop away from where u would board the bus...

Enjoy your visit to the sunny little island... It is going to be hot hot hot...
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:13 pm
rjh

I think part of the issue was walking with little children. Walking half the distance takes 15 minutes. Then half the remaining distance takes 15 minutes. Then half the ...

One thought would be to head to the Four Seasons and walk in aircon comfort through the Four Seasons and on to the connected Hilton before popping out again on Orchard by the far exit (assuming this is still possible). There's a certain amount of elevation change with escalators, as I recall.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:02 pm
Suspended

If easy access to MRT is a priority, why not try Raffles the Plaza/Swissotel the Stamford, the Marriott or the InterContinental ,all of which are linked to MRT stations.

Since the OP is not comfortable taking a taxi with children, is it any safer boarding a SBS bus Also bear in mind that thunderstorms are not infrequent in Singapore, and walking under the rain (or intense heat) from Orchard MRT to the Regent (with kids in tow) isnt exactly fun.

And as I have mentioned above, the Regent has not been a top property in town for a long, long time ...

Last edited by mario33; Oct 8, 2007 at 7:08 pm
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:56 am
rjh

The Marriott has a great pool area for small kids. Bugis Junction, adjoining the Intercontinental, has an "animated" fountain that small kids love and a good aircon food court with a lot of variety.

If the trigger has already been pulled on the Regent, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh

If the trigger has already been pulled on the Regent, I wouldn't worry too much.
We really want to get into the Lanson Place serviced apartments (200m from Somerset, stayed there with our son last year) but they can't confirm until next year and i'm thinking there's a big event on at the time. As such the current hotel booking is fully flexible but as noted above I think it's a good proce.

The Marriott seems to be sold out already on some of those dates we want (late April) and the Swissotel properties are waaaaay more expensive. The IC is possible as they can accommodate us in a shophouse suite and it's near Bugis station.

So between the Regent and the IC, which would people favour?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:26 pm
rjh

If those are the choices, and especially for travel with children, the IC. Good transportation. Lots of food choices in the adjoining mall or across North Bridge Road. You have to connect on the MRT at the City Hall interchange to get over to the Orchard/Scotts area, but it's not terrible. You may find little reason to go there, anyway.

For breakfast, you can walk 5 minutes to Killiney Kopitiam at 30 Purvis Street and get the grilled french toast with kaya. The nasi lemak is just so-so, but I always end up getting it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.