Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Cost of rent in Singapore for 4-6 months?

Cost of rent in Singapore for 4-6 months?

Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by flyerred
I was actually intending to possibly begin living in Singapore a few months of the year, year after year. Was considering the idea of putting down roots in the country. The people seem my type and the prevalence of english makes it appealing to me.
Your 'intention' might not fly well with ICA (Immigration and Customs Authority) without long-term visa. In your place I'd suggest you to consult with appropriate authorities first.

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
Mind you, even if you are able to rent or purchase public housing
You can't purchase HDB unit unless you are PR or Singapore resident. And even if one is the citizen, still number of restrictions apply.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 23, 2017 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
If you're OK with the 6 month minimum, rentals would range from ~usd300-350 for a 'common room' (local parlance for a room without its own bathroom), to ~usd2000 for a 3-bedroom private condo in the island's outskirts, to ~usd3200 for a 2-bedroom private condo in the central region.
Warning to everyone willing to rent room/place via AirBnB on shorter than 6 month - while authorities do not really enforce restrictions with condos, they are very swift with HDB rentals. I've seen notices posted at community boards asking neighbours to call and report to URA/authorities if someone is doing such.

If such practice is discovered, authorities will show up and throw out these tenants on streets and handle fine both to them and landlords.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by JHattery
Best look into SIN's rules and expectations for admitting you as a Employment Passholder and potential Permanent Resident. Unlike the USA, they are picky and actually work to enforce it (nothing's perfect). And, if you're old enough, they won't want you.
Yep, and if you are denied of PR, they won't tell you of reasons.

Originally Posted by JHattery
But, if you have a significant wad of cash to invest in SIN, they'll consider you regardless of age.
'significant' starts from $10m-15m.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:16 pm

Almost all condo toilets in S'pore tend to be of the western bowl type (certainly those of built around/after the turn of the century) but some older public housing flats have the traditional Asian squat type for the "common" toilet.
The HDB Home Improvement Programme meant that a lot of the old squat toilets have been upgraded to the seat toilets.

If you still see a squat toilet it's probably a very old estate which will be due to redevelopment soon (or maybe in an opposition ward. heh).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by invisible

You can't purchase HDB unit unless you are PR or Singapore resident. And even if one is the citizen, still number of restrictions apply.
Yes, hence the "even if" in my quoted post.

I own and live in an HDB flat (not BTO or DBSS or EC) even if it's in a district which an acquaintance described as "HDB royalty".
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:33 pm

I own and live in an HDB flat (not BTO or DBSS or EC) even if it's in a district which an acquaintance described as "HDB royalty".
Pinnacles @ Duxton?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
'significant' starts from $10m-15m.
Actually, per the governments Global Investor Programme, investment "starts" at $2.5M SGD.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:22 pm

Pinnacles @ Duxton?
Not BTO so that rules out Pinnacles which was mostly sold through BTO and SOBF.

My guess is probably Queenstown, Ghim Moh, Tiong Bahru or Toa Payoh.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
I am not sure that serviced apartments are available for more than 30 days period unless one has long term stay visa.
It can be done. I had a a serviced apartment at the Wilby apartments by Bugis (somewhat basic, but very nice and cool neighborhood) when I was traveling all over the region for a couple of months. I also managed to get a checking account before my EP was issued and even signed a lease on long term housing (which was risky, but legal, and required having the bank account to be able to pay the deposit).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.