KFC in SIN

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
KFC in SIN

What's the obsession here? I walked by one during a lunch hour time of a weekday last week and I swear there was a line of 200 out the door and down the street.

Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
"Here" ... compared to where? America?

I could just as easily ask what the obsession is with Franklin's or the dozens of other BBQ joints in Texas/elsewhere. Queue'ing up for 3-4 hours for some meat, really?!?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by enviroian
What's the obsession here? I walked by one during a lunch hour time of a weekday last week and I swear there was a line of 200 out the door and down the street.

Not to mention, KFC in Singapore is the absolute worst I've had anywhere in the world (several attempts). Not that it's fabulous anywhere, but it used to be pretty darn good in the US in the 60s-early 80s.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
And we're pretty far from the early 80s already......at least the japanese ones aren't bad yet.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by elexianyx
And we're pretty far from the early 80s already......at least the japanese ones aren't bad yet.
Yes we are pretty far from the 80s and I probably could have stated my point better. First, KFC in the US has been on a severe downhill slide since the 80s. Only in the last couple of years have they started to improve. They still have a long way to go. Even at their lowest point in the USA though, every other country I've tried them has been worse. Sometimes MUCH worse.

I have not tried them in Japan, but it doesn't surprise me that they are good there. Japan is the only country that I've found McDonalds to be noticeably better than USA.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
When I first went to Beijing back around 1996/97, pretty much the only english I saw on the streets were KFC shops. This was before people had cars there and most everyone was on bicycles. I just guessed that the Chinese liked chicken a lot.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:39 am

Probably queuing for this. https://www.kfc.com.sg/whats-new/chizza/
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by enviroian

This is combination of multiple factors:

- 'Asian thing'
- Kiasu
- Most likely launch of new product or they started selling something related to Hello Kitty.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by braslvr
Not to mention, KFC in Singapore is the absolute worst I've had anywhere in the world (several attempts). Not that it's fabulous anywhere, but it used to be pretty darn good in the US in the 60s-early 80s.
The seasoning and flavor profiles used are significantly different in Singapore vs. USA KFCs. I definitely do not like the Singapore product. Ironically, the chicken wings at Old Chang Kee are actually pretty good, and taste far more like an American would expect fried chicken to taste.

FWIW, the Singapore Hooters offerings, in terms of wings and "other," are equally lacking.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

I came in this thread to read reviews of the chizza, can't believe you haven't heard of it. Leaving this thread disappointed.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ319
Probably queuing for this. https://www.kfc.com.sg/whats-new/chizza/
Ewww, that's disgusting.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I came in this thread to read reviews of the chizza, can't believe you haven't heard of it. Leaving this thread disappointed.
After seeing it from that lack I would probably hurl if attempting to eat it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
"Here" ... compared to where? America?

I could just as easily ask what the obsession is with Franklin's or the dozens of other BBQ joints in Texas/elsewhere. Queue'ing up for 3-4 hours for some meat, really?!?

What do you mean "here"? I clearly wrote SIN in my thread title in case you missed it.

Where did I say I was making a comparison?

Odd post.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by braslvr
I think the opposite though. I find the KFC in Singapore to be the best anywhere in the world, partly due to the availability of the hot and crispy chicken with the packed chilli sauce. No chilli sauce and lack of crispy option meant I always miss the ones found in Asia when I am in North America...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:15 am

There is usually different types of new offerings.

This is something I find interesting. Most Western educated people find it bizarre that the Asian stores offer local twists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.