Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Singapore for Honeymoon

Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I will be visiting Singapore at the end of Jan. 2018 for 3 nights. I've only been to Singapore once and that was 4 years ago. I don't know where everything is or what hotels are good(I stayed with a friend last time).

Does anyone know the pricing of hotels during this time of the year? I know the Marina Sands is probably out of my budget, but what are my options? I have some hotel points that I can use too...

IHG - 200K
Hilton Honors - 150K
Marriott - 150K
Hyatt - 75K

I was thinking the Grand Hyatt or the JW Marriott. Thoughts?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: most of them
I stayed at the Interncontinental a couple of years ago and liked it. Pretty good location. Lots of food options nearby. You should be able to cover the stay with your IHG points.

With respect to hotel prices...just do a search with your favorite hotel search engine... hotels.com, agoda, trivago, whatever. That should give you a pretty good idea.

This thread also has some good ideas
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-location.html
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I might suggest looking outside the chains in Singapore. Lloyd's Inn is a nice boutique hotel in a quiet neighborhood. A bit far from transit but Uber is dirt cheap anyways.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's your style? Some people would find the Fullerton Bay very appealing, while others would prefer the New Majestic and still others the St Regis (which is probably too expensive).

People seem to like the Conrad, but I have the impression that they're mostly ravings about the lounge. Similarly, the IC has a wonderful lounge, but the rooms are variable. To me, the Hilton and Marriott are just cookie cutter American chain with nothing special or Singaporean.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
honeymoon in Singapore?, not very romantic.... in January during rainy season??

but then if you wish, maybe you can try Shangri-La in Sentosa or one of the Sentosa hotels, that should fit the purpose...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I might suggest looking outside the chains in Singapore. Lloyd's Inn is a nice boutique hotel in a quiet neighborhood. A bit far from transit but Uber is dirt cheap anyways.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into non-chain hotels. The only reason why I'm looking into the chain hotels is because of the points that I have with them. Looking to save some bucks after the wedding.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's your style? Some people would find the Fullerton Bay very appealing, while others would prefer the New Majestic and still others the St Regis (which is probably too expensive).

People seem to like the Conrad, but I have the impression that they're mostly ravings about the lounge. Similarly, the IC has a wonderful lounge, but the rooms are variable. To me, the Hilton and Marriott are just cookie cutter American chain with nothing special or Singaporean.
I wanted to stay in a chain because I have status(Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, SPG Plat) and it'll give me a chance to unload some of my points. I'm aware status probably won't come into play on an award stay. I'm looking to stay at more Singaporean style hotel vs one that's next to a big mall with just branded shops near it. Thanks for your advice! I'm going to look into the Conrad.

Originally Posted by kapitan
honeymoon in Singapore?, not very romantic.... in January during rainy season??

but then if you wish, maybe you can try Shangri-La in Sentosa or one of the Sentosa hotels, that should fit the purpose...
Haha. Maybe it was a bad title. It's a quick stopover during my honeymoon to Australia.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by kapitan
honeymoon in Singapore?, not very romantic.... .
Originally Posted by emofeng
It's a quick stopover during my honeymoon to Australia.
It doesn't really matter what someone else thinks is "appropriate" or "romantic" - as long as YOU and your SPOUSE want to do it, it'll be a good honeymoon^

In November we stayed 6 nights at the Oasia Downtown (which just opened in April) It was a nice neighborhood, we had a Club Room that had a nice view and the Club floor was lovely - we really enjoyed this hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by emofeng
I'm looking to stay at more Singaporean style hotel vs one that's next to a big mall with just branded shops near it. Thanks for your advice! I'm going to look into the Conrad.
Shopping and malls are a very Singaporean thing.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: most of them
Just saw that there's a new Intercontinental opening Q2 2017 at Robertson Quay. Looks quite nice. No details on rates/points required.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
It doesn't really matter what someone else thinks is "appropriate" or "romantic" - as long as YOU and your SPOUSE want to do it, it'll be a good honeymoon^
Totally +1.

Given your points and status, here are some hotels for you to consider.

IHG
The InterContinental Singapore Robertson Quay is opening in June. It's going to be a very modern minimalist hotel, so if that's your style, you might want to consider it. Since you mentioned you want a Singaporean style hotel, the original InterContinental Singapore has many Pernakan accents in its decor. The Club Lounge in this hotel is beautiful. It's recently renovated in 2015/16. Also you may want to consider the Indigo Singapore Katong. It opened in June 2016, and is located out of town (15 min cab) in the Joo Chiat neighbourhood, but the decor takes into account the vibe of the locality, so you will see a lot of Pernakan/nyonya accents. Check out tripadvisor for these 2 properties and see if it's what you like. You should have enough points for all 3 nights in any of the 3 properties.

Marriott/Starwood
With Marriott/Starwood merger, if your points are usable for Starwood properties (I'm not up to date on this front), you may want to consider one of the shophouse properties, like Hotel Vagabond in Little India (on the same street as Mustafa, no less), or The Duxton Club on Duxton hill. THe rest of the Marriott/Starwood properties are probably something you can find in another major city. If Sentosa is an option for you, there is the Le Meridien there.

Hyatt
Not much selection in Singapore, only the Grand Hyatt on Orchard Road or the soon-to-open Andaz at Beach Road, close to Arab Street/Kampong Glam (mid-2017)

Hilton
2 aging properties - Hilton Singapore and Conrad. Not much else to say about them other than the fact that they are feels just like another business hotel. Nothing really stands out for them.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:57 am

Rates in January 2018 should be okay (too early to tell). CNY 2018 will be in mid-February, so you're not facing overly inflated rates.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
I wanted to stay in a chain because I have status(Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, SPG Plat) and it'll give me a chance to unload some of my points. I'm aware status probably won't come into play on an award stay. I'm looking to stay at more Singaporean style hotel vs one that's next to a big mall with just branded shops near it. Thanks for your advice! I'm going to look into the Conrad.
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Shopping and malls are a very Singaporean thing.
+1 to this. Singapore style (if it exists) is a mix of ultra-modern and colonial heritage - which do you prefer? I'm guessing you will want somewhere luxurious yet redeemable with your points. If you're more interested in the colonial heritage and want to stay somewhere with a local flavor, 108k of your Marriott points can be swapped for 36k SPG points, which could get you 3 nights at the Hotel Vagabond, (thread here) a Tribute Portfolio hotel that's gotten good reviews from other FTers.

Otherwise (if you don't want to be in the heart of the city) Le Meridien Sentosa is in a converted colonial barracks, and has improved since its opening - by Jan 2018 the lounge should be open, and it's within 5 mins walking distance of Resorts World Sentosa (which houses 4 Michelin starred restaurants, the Universal Studios Singapore theme park, and lots of luxury shops).

Both of these Starwood hotels have been reasonably good with plat upgrades as far as I can tell. I've also been able to find some good best rate guarantees throughout the year.

As for non-Starwood hotels: I like the local InterCon, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to redeem 3 nights there on the points you have? It has a good Chinese restaurant. The downside (if that) is that it's connected to 2 shopping malls which are very much bog standard Singaporean shopping experiences.

Hilton and Conrad are both a bit dated and I wouldn't stay there for a honeymoon unless you have top-tier status and can wrangle a great upgrade.

Of course your mileage may vary!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much all for the replies. I'm going to look into the current IC as well as the new one that's opening soon(hopefully without delays). My IHG points should be able to cover me for the entire stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.