Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Late arrival, early departure at SIN

Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Hey all

In April I'll be traveling to Singapore. I got invited to visit family in Hongkong, so I had to adjust my plans a little bit (hopping over for a few days, then head back to Singapore)
I'll be arriving around midnight at SIN and my onward flight to HKG leaves at 6am that morning.
Since there won't be any public transport running at those hours, my only option would be getting into town (and back) by cab or booking a room in a transit hotel. Both options would completely wreck my student travel budget.
Is it also possible to just stay airside at SIN overnight?
I'm traveling two different airlines, but I won't have any checked luggage with me. I could just check in online and try to get comfy on some chairs airside, before my scheduled morning flight leaves.

Would that be a possibility, or do I have to clear immigration and wait it out landside?

Thank you very much in advance
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:18 am

As long as you have your BP for your onward flight you can stay airside no problems, plenty of places u can find for comfort for the 6hr layover.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Great.

Thank you very much for that confirmation

EDIT: It might be worth pointing out that I'm flying United to Hong Kong.

Last edited by NiCre; Jan 22, 2017 at 4:48 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Yes, you should be able to stay airside once you arrive in SIN. But note that United flights go through an additional security screening that is normally done before check in on ground side; this screening is by a uniformed officer checking your name off a list to make sure you're on the HKG flight, plus the officer sticks a colored dot on the back of your passport. At the gate, another officer doing the primary screening will see you don't have the dot, not sure what happens then.

I'd suggest that after your nap airside, go to the Transit Desk (it's also airside) and let them know you're there and already have your boarding pass. BTW you need to ask which Transit Desk to go to. UA departs from T2, yet the Changi Airport website says go to the T3 transit desk, which strikes me as being incorrect.

Changi airside is a good place for a nap. I've seen recliners with leg rests, sorry I can't tell you where they are - I live in Singapore so I never had to use them!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I've stayed air side overnight after arriving at Changi many times, and connected air side or headed out through customs/immigration the next day, with or without checked baggage. It's a smooth process.

Transit hotel economy room is pretty good value, as it includes shower.

Otherwise there are free nap chairs, or the free movie theatres !

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/singapore.htm

Air side transit desk for UA doesn't open until a couple hours before flight departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.