Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

SQ to QR Transit with two tickets

Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

Traveling DPS-SIN on SQ arriving at 00:20 connecting to QR SIN-DOH at 10:45. I am thinking about just getting a room at the T3 transit hotel for 6-7 hours then hit the lounge for breakfast. Since I am on two different tickets, can I check-in at the transit counter in T3 or do I need to check-in at the counters past immigration? If I have to go through immigration, I might just get a hotel near the airport.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance
If it's separate ticket, i think you need to check in at the counter pass immigration.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Wel, I am an idiot......

Just realized that, since all I will have is carryon luggage, I will just do online check-in with QR and print out my boarding pass - so no need to go to the ticket counter!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Having separate tickets doesn't mean you cannot use air-side transit.

Check-in baggage or not, it also doesn't mean you must go land-side.

I have certainly done separate tickets, with check-in baggage, and used the air-side transit without having to go through customs/immigration or claiming my bags. Bags retrieved on my behalf and redirected to my final international destination.

Done it multiple times. Whether this is possible depends on the airlines involved.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
OP: your plan per your original post should work. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

The key is that arriving and departing passengers are intermingled airside (security and xray is at the gate). So yes, the moment you step off your arriving SQ flight, you can go straight to one of the transit hotels. In fact, given the amount of time between the two flights, you can go to a transit hotel in a terminal other than the one you will depart from (T3 for QR). This might be useful in that the operator of the hotel in T1 is different from those of T2/T3. The rate for the T1 hotel is cheaper; don't know what the rooms are like though.

Even if you had check in baggage, you don't need to go through Immigration to ground side. Ideally SQ and QR interline. If so you tell SQ at DPS that you're transiting in SIN, and to please tag your bags to DOH. If that didn't work, what you do is that on arrival in SIN you go to the transfer counter and have the QR check in folks take possession of your luggage from SQ; they'll ask for your baggage tags for the bag number. If that also didn't work (absolute worse case scenario) then you would go through Singapore Immigration to manually get your luggage and move it to QR check in. Considering how efficient Singapore airport processing is, you can probably get it done inside of 30 minutes.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by beep88
Having separate tickets doesn't mean you cannot use air-side transit.

Check-in baggage or not, it also doesn't mean you must go land-side.

I have certainly done separate tickets, with check-in baggage, and used the air-side transit without having to go through customs/immigration or claiming my bags. Bags retrieved on my behalf and redirected to my final international destination.

Done it multiple times. Whether this is possible depends on the airlines involved.
I recently flew DPS-SIN with SQ then collected bags land side to check in with EY SIN-AUH-LHR. Separate tickets.

Is there any website that tells you which airlines interline? Apart from the *A / OW (barring recent changes) airlines? Or do you only get to find out via the transfer desks in Changi?

I know off Scoot you can pay $20 or something to have your bags transferred without fetching them to your next flight (might need to be scoot or SQ related carrier). I guess the danger of mistimed connections is known once you've landed.

But I left about 3-4hrs between landing and departure as margin for error.

I must try your transfer tip next time!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
This is a clue (yes it's about single ticket but same deal):

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...ckin-partners/

Otherwise check expert flyer or post on SQ forum.

Last edited by beep88; Feb 21, 2017 at 4:14 pm
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by beep88
This is a clue (yes it's about single ticket but same deal):

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...ckin-partners/

Otherwise check expert flyer or post on SQ forum.
Thanks. EY wasn't on that list so needed to pick up luggage anyway but very good for future reference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.