Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Ideal length of stay while in Singapore?

Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

I have always wanted to visit Singapore (mainly for the food). How long would be an ideal stay? Keep in mind we will be flying from the US of A.

Wouldn't mind hearing your ideal itenerary as well.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

Do you plan on only going to Singapore? How much time do you have? Are you open to checking out other countries in the area? I just got back from SE Asia, so I have a few suggestions, but it depends on what you're looking for.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You can spend a month in SIN and not get bored. More pragmatically 3 days is about the minimum
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calbear2005
Do you plan on only going to Singapore? How much time do you have? Are you open to checking out other countries in the area? I just got back from SE Asia, so I have a few suggestions, but it depends on what you're looking for.
Open to anything. Time frame could probably be 10 days or so. Was thinking perhaps Bali while out that way.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
You can spend a month in SIN and not get bored. More pragmatically 3 days is about the minimum
Agreed with the three days, especially if your primary focus is for food. Just have a plan of hawker centers and restaurants to hit because the choices are overwhelming.

Never been to Bali, but if you're in the area, look into Myanmar. Bagan is amazing, and best to go before it's overrun with tourists.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
3-4 days

Chili Crab
Little India
Hawker Centre
China Town

if heading on to Bali I would say be prepared to be underwhelmed by the food.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've been to Singapore probably 10 times so far. It took me several trips to get to like the place. It's hot and humid. I don't like hawker food (which is fine because there are amazing restaurants there). Now I love it. It's a place for me to stop on my way to/from other places in the region (I'm a diver so I may be off to Indonesia or Malaysia or Borneo from there).

I'd say 10 days is way too long. It is just a city. (OK that's an understatement). I'd give it 3-4 days and then explore somewhere else nearby.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

I think everyone will have a different answer, which is fair enough really.
Singapore is a city. Some people love holidaying in them and some, well, don't.

To have a good exploration of the different food options there, I think you'll need more than three days. Three days is just enough to hit the key tourist sites - but not to explore.

I'd say five to six days would be best. Maybe add a day if you think you'll be really jetlagged.
I'm no expert though, as I've only been there on holiday three times. Locals would be able to give better advice on what and where to try things.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Singapore is a great city for food; but so is KL, which costs half as much per day for similar experience. I love singapore but would go to KL for this kind of trip (or split between the 2).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by number_6
IMHO, it's the opposite. 3-4 days max. Once I checked off Laksa, chilly Crab and Durian, there's nothing special to stretch the days.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:58 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 9Benua
IMHO, it's the opposite. 3-4 days max. Once I checked off Laksa, chilly Crab and Durian, there's nothing special to stretch the days.
One just needs to take a spin 'round SIN for those things...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by manneca
I'd say 10 days is way too long. It is just a city. (OK that's an understatement). I'd give it 3-4 days and then explore somewhere else nearby.
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Concur, I used to love spore for shopping, however, having lived in US, shopping in Singapore is twice as expensive.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by manneca
As a resident of Singapore for many years ... I'd say "it's just a city" is a fair assessment ... I had my brother visit last year and after the 3rd day he was already all "Singapore'ed out" and itching to go to some other country nearby.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I guess, except shuigao only visitors commented this thread?

Did anybody ask what is the OP's interests? Because if he would say - 'I want to explore different food places, visit museums, take photos of architecture and historical places at night and during the day as well as enjoy nature and parks' than two weeks would not be enough. At the same time, if one says 'I wanna to take selfie on the top of MBC and have Sling at Raffles', than you can do it if you have 6h stopover.

There are plenty of topics about itineraries in Singapore, your truly have opened and contributed in number of them, as well as other people. There is 20-something page about 'Singapore is not just a stopover' and other topics.

So, before giving ready answers, should not we ask what one's priorities are, how much time would be spent in these priorities, what physical fitness level is to cover these activities and so on?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Ideal length of stay is so subjective. I would say I am the opposite of people I like to spend longer in the same place but take tings at a relaxed pace.

For example. In a day I might go to the Company of Cats cat caf in Mosque Street (in or near Chinatown), get a massage and something to eat in Mosque street or near there. Wander around looking at the shops, architecture, food, people etc. Wander back through Chinatown. Afternoon have a swim and relax by the pool then at night go out to eat, have a few drinks in a bar with the locals.

That is so different I am sure from what others do. I am sure people would fit that in to 2 or 3 hours then continue their sight seeing in the afternoon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.