Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Ideal length of stay while in Singapore?

Ideal length of stay while in Singapore?

Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
Thumbs up Consensus seems to be 3-4 days is good

I've visited Singapore twice, both times I stayed for 3-4 days, and both visits I managed to see all that I'd planned on, and a few unplanned side-trips, but I still haven't done everything there is to do. For example, I still haven't made it out to the zoo.

Originally Posted by invisible
Did anybody ask what is the OP's interests?
. . .
So, before giving ready answers, should not we ask what one's priorities are, how much time would be spent in these priorities, what physical fitness level is to cover these activities and so on?
Nah, that would be too logical.

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Open to anything. Time frame could probably be 10 days or so. Was thinking perhaps Bali while out that way.
Once you've gone to all the trouble to fly out from the USA, I think it just makes sense to visit another country in the area. My first trip out was 5 weeks, and Singapore was really just a side trip to fill in the week between a conference in KL and the next conference.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Did anybody ask what is the OP's interests?
He did say "mainly for the food."
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Start in SIN for maybe 3 days, to get acclimated, eat good food (stick to hawker centres/food courts), do some sightseeing, and, if desired, start some tailored clothing purchases.

Move on to one or more other sights that as an American are hard to reach.

My suggestions:
- Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia. Can do in 2-3 days hitting highlights
- Bali. Need 3-5 days, if you plan to experience both beach and mountain areas. I personally prefer mountain, and fave resort is Ubud Hanging Gardens. Magical.
- Bangkok. What can I say, it is an over the top experience. Wonderful sights in terms of history, temples, river market, etc., as well as "Hangover-esque" weirdness that will have you shaking your head.

Return to SIN for another 2-3 days, finish fittings for tailoring if you went that route, eat more good food, go home.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:07 pm

Food? Stay a few weeks and you will have barely scratched the surface!

To be honest, I always tell people that 3 days in Singapore is sufficient if you want to just have been there and done that, but there are quite a number of things that are best enjoyed slowly even in such a compact city. You can have a picnic or take a hike around one of the parks (Botanic Gardens, Treetop Walk/MacRitchie Reservoir, Hort Park, East Coast Park, etc.) to burn off the food that you have eaten.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ryvyan
Food? Stay a few weeks and you will have barely scratched the surface!
I agree that Singapore is an (Asian) food lover's paradise, and while I don't have the most extensive knowledge of the city-state having only spent around 10 days there over two trips, I agree with a few previous posters. That is, it's just a city, albeit with great food; but, if you look hard enough in other cosmopolitan cities around the world, you'll find similar dishes, just not in such a concentrated area.

If you're in the region, I feel like you need to get out of Singapore and see something that you can't just see elsewhere, as previously stated. Go to Siem Reap, Bagan, or central Java (to see Borobudur and Prambanan). Just an idea.

Last edited by calbear2005; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:13 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:33 am

Well, it really depends on what you want to do in Singapore apart from food. And where all have you narrowed the food down to? Im assuming Newton is one of them? If youre travelling all the way from USA to Singapore, and ONLY Singapore, you would already be jet lagged 2 days, so I would spend at least 8 nights there, but Im not certain if you would have enough to do for 8 nights. Have you thought about visiting other countries in S.E. Asia? Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by JHattery
Start in SIN for maybe 3 days, to get acclimated, eat good food (stick to hawker centres/food courts), do some sightseeing, and, if desired, start some tailored clothing purchases.

Move on to one or more other sights that as an American are hard to reach.

My suggestions:
- Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia. Can do in 2-3 days hitting highlights
- Bali. Need 3-5 days, if you plan to experience both beach and mountain areas. I personally prefer mountain, and fave resort is Ubud Hanging Gardens. Magical.
- Bangkok. What can I say, it is an over the top experience. Wonderful sights in terms of history, temples, river market, etc., as well as "Hangover-esque" weirdness that will have you shaking your head.

Return to SIN for another 2-3 days, finish fittings for tailoring if you went that route, eat more good food, go home.
Bumping for everyone that got in on the USA/SIN deal today.

JHattery, you've answered some of my questions. Thanks.

Are the above about 2 hours flight time?

dh
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's a great transit stop. Easy, oddly familiar and pretty much unchallenging.

It's also comfortingly expensive.

There are pockets of grittiness, but you probably won't see them. There's also quirkiness, but you won't see much of that on the circuit of night-zoo (yawn), Newton Circle, Chinatown and Orchard Road shopping.

It's got to be done, but don't waste too much time on it - there's so much more to see in the region.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by calbear2005
but, if you look hard enough in other cosmopolitan cities around the world, you'll find similar dishes, just not in such a concentrated area.
I mean, sure, but the taste of one dish is so unique from another due to the types of ingredients used and how they cook it. Personally, if you say that Singapore chicken rice is the same as the one in Malacca? Blasphemy! I may have to pick up a sword against that.

Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
- Cambodia: slightly more than 2 hours
- Bali: slightly more than 2.5 hours
- Bangkok: around 2.5 hours

That said, decent budget airlines with relatively low prices at destination make it quite an easy decision.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA

That said, decent budget airlines with relatively low prices at destination make it quite an easy decision.

This has been helpful to me as well. Just booked of first trip to Asia and we will start in SIN before headed to BKK-CNX-HKT so I will be looking through the forum for info on wear to eat and what to see. Singapore will be our first stop on this trip and we are trying to figure out how many days in each place.

Slightly OT but...As far as buying air from SIN to say BKK, CNX, HKT how far out does one need to buy those short hops? I have already purchased the long legs to and from the USA. Starting in SIN and ending in HKT.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Slightly OT but...As far as buying air from SIN to say BKK, CNX, HKT how far out does one need to buy those short hops? I have already purchased the long legs to and from the USA. Starting in SIN and ending in HKT.
Really just a matter of demand and supply and the dates of your flight.
Buying a mid week, non-holiday period flight 3 weeks in advance will still give you a fairly cheap fare.

Obviously more flights daily to BKK than CNX or HKT as you are flying between two capitals, and that would keep prices low. But I suggest to just check the flights now and if you feel the prices to be good, go ahead and book.

Just a heads up: Recently saw on IG a somewhat famous personality fume about the fact that she had to pay for luggage at the airport for her Air Asia flight. She claimed the flies "so much" and this was the first time a budget airline made her pay for a suitcase at the airport and that the Air Asia website had no mention of the need to pay for luggage
Anyway, don't forget to pre-purchase luggage on the LCC.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Thanks very much.

dh
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Direct flights to any are around 2-3 hours. Getting to Siem Reap may require a connection in either BKK, HAN, or DAD. As I recall, my last visit to Siem Reap out of SIN routed TO through HAN and FROM via DAD.

Stayed in a rustic but serviceable local hotel - The Siem Reap River Side. Cheap, rooftop pool, easy cyclo to Pub street. Hired driver through the hotel for touring during Angkor Wat. Take lots of $1USD bills. Everything, and I do mean everything is $1USD. ATMs even dispense $1USD.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by JHattery
Getting to Siem Reap may require a connection in either BKK, HAN, or DAD.
Jetstar and SilkAir fly directly to Siem Reap from Singapore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.