Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Holidays or days to avoid Sept-Oct?

Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA

Are there holidays (like Golden Week in China) or other days to avoid when traveling to Singapore this September or October?
Thanks!

Last edited by Welltended3; Jan 8, 2017 at 1:17 pm Reason: Add notification subscription
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by welltended
Are there holidays (like Golden Week in China) or other days to avoid when traveling to Singapore this September or October?
Thanks!
There is nothing like China situation in Singapore. Chinese New Year might comes in mind comparing to Christmas in terms of closed businesses but that's it.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Good to know, thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Well ... I have been burnt once by China school holidays in Singapore though. Took a day off work to visit USS with my wife (weekday, non-SG school holiday), but the place was PACKED with Chinese school excursion groups. 2-hour waits for BSG on a weekday.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Not sure what the background is for your question; but if it's due to worry that hotel prices may be high, the only days I would take note of are the days leading up to and in particular the 15, 16, 17th September as that is when the Singapore F1 will be held.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Thsnk you all. Good to know, I was not aware of F1!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by welltended
Thsnk you all. Good to know, I was not aware of F1!
Last year, at one hotel which overlooks the F1 circuit they've been offering rooms for $3000/night.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Singapore is crazy busy on public holidays. We've ended up visiting a few times, including for SG50 18 months ago. Granted that was 'special', but everything was rammed on the day - transport, tourist attractions, etc.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Will try to avoid F1. . Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:58 pm

Singapore is pretty much crowded all year round (it gets quieter around the school holidays outside of tourist attractions because every other Singaporean goes abroad); just avoid F1 season and public holidays as mentioned. Many tourists from China as well with our good international relations, so if you want to avoid additional crowds, check out their holidays (apparently the period from October 1 to 7 2017 is a holiday).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
September is F1 period, if you are not a fan, give it a miss.

September 1st is a National Public Holiday and the week after is school holidays. But since it is near to exam period, the children will not be having much fun. That week will also be the IT Show week.

October 18 is public holiday, Divali.... and it is also the examination month, which stretches into 2 weeks in November. This is the month where parents are watching over their kids to make sure they are studying for their year end / finals exams.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.