Wiki Posts
Search

8hr transit with kids

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
8hr transit with kids

In a couple of weeks we are transiting with a 3yr old and a 2 month old. We arrive 4pm and leave at midnight, so we may have a window between rechecking bags at 5pm and getting back for food/showers about 10pm.

It's quite tempting to just head to the zoo which will entertain the 3yr old but we'd like to make a realistic plan to see a bit of the city. We haven't visited since 2004.

So can anyone suggest where we might head, what we should try and see?

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
In a couple of weeks we are transiting with a 3yr old and a 2 month old. We arrive 4pm and leave at midnight, so we may have a window between rechecking bags at 5pm and getting back for food/showers about 10pm.

It's quite tempting to just head to the zoo which will entertain the 3yr old but we'd like to make a realistic plan to see a bit of the city. We haven't visited since 2004.

Thanks!
Is there an option of having your bags checked through to your final destination, so that you don't need to recheck them? What airlines are you taking?

The Zoo option is kinda out, as the Zoo closes at 6pm, and the Night Safari opens at 7.15pm.

Since you have not been back since 2004, I would recommend heading down to the Marina Bay area, as it has changed LOTS since 2004. Walk around the Marina Bay, go up the Marina Bay Sands skypark, head to the Gardens by the Bay (GBTB).

To keep your 3yo entertained, there is a children's playground at GBTB with both wet and dry areas. Great for your child to expend his energy before the evening flight. Pack a change of clothes for your 3yo if you choose this option.

Alternatively, you can consider the payable indoor playgrounds at Marina Square or Suntec.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
To keep your 3yo entertained, there is a children's playground at GBTB with both wet and dry areas. Great for your child to expend his energy before the evening flight. Pack a change of clothes for your 3yo if you choose this option.

Alternatively, you can consider the payable indoor playgrounds at Marina Square or Suntec.
Thanks - the wet play area seems like a great idea for the heat and for burning some energy. Great to know we need to carry some swimwear.

Anywhere nearby to grab some hawker food, something local/authentic as a snack - it seems like the wrong part of town.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:41 pm

Anywhere nearby to grab some hawker food, something local/authentic as a snack - it seems like the wrong part of town.
Do note that the Children's playground in GBTB is closed on Mondays.

Re local/hawker food, just walk along the waterfront towards the barrage (eastwards), you'll see "Satay by the Bay" on your right side.

Have attached the Map here for your reference.

Btw, you mentioned you are travelling in a couple of weeks, just note that there is the Christmas wonderland fair in the middle of the gardens and it's f-ing crowded when I was there last year a few days before Christmas. This year the fair is ticketed so hopefully it'll not be as crowded, but be prepared for the crowds.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that - actually the Christmas Wonderland may be a perfect option for us with some food and entertainment, and if it's too busy we can wander along to Satay by the Sea. Hopefully Thursday 15th isn't going to have peak crowds, and the ticket price is modest for an option.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:48 pm

Thanks!
Wow, brave. Mine is only 2 years old and I would get a room at the airside transit hotel and keep her busy while the wife naps, has a shower etc... Then switch after 4 hours for my turn to nap, shower, etc...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:49 am
Original Poster

The thought did occur and if the first flight (LHR-SIN) goes badly we may yet bail out to that option. But after the stop we have another overnight (SIN-LHR) so we'd rather try and get some air and tire out the 3yr old. Plus we have grandparents with us sharing the strain.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:41 am

The thought did occur and if the first flight (LHR-SIN) goes badly we may yet bail out to that option. But after the stop we have another overnight (SIN-LHR) so we'd rather try and get some air and tire out the 3yr old. Plus we have grandparents with us sharing the strain.
Changi has playgrounds, fish pounds, trains (between the terminals), lots of places to run around that are open, a few gardens, butterfly conservatory, etc... it's a great place to tire out kids.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I'd just stay in the airport, but I also get to Singapore quite often. In the airport now there is a butterfly garden, fish ponds, playgrounds, and as the previous poster mentioned, lots of wide open space for kids to run and get tired. There is also a movie theater, swimming pool, and cactus garden. All of these things my kids enjoy so much that we go to the airport early to do some of them each time.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I'd just stay in the airport, but I also get to Singapore quite often. In the airport now there is a butterfly garden, fish ponds, playgrounds, and as the previous poster mentioned, lots of wide open space for kids to run and get tired. There is also a movie theater, swimming pool, and cactus garden. All of these things my kids enjoy so much that we go to the airport early to do some of them each time.
Wait, Where's the pool!?!?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
T1.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes, you can soak with a cold Tiger in your hand while planewatching with the sunset as a background.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:37 pm

http://www.changiairport.com/content...ming-pool.html

It was renovated recently and looks much better now.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:23 am

I will have to go for a swim next time I am there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.