Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Uber from KUL to Singapore

Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

Will need to visit Singapore soon, booked with MH140 SYD-KUL, early morning arrival of 3:40am.

The earliest MH flight from KUL to SIN departs 8:05. Searched google map, it is 352km, 3hr 43minutes drive and Uber quoted MYR273 with their basic car. So it seems Uber will be cheaper for us and also gets us into Singapore earlier.

Is this actually doable? does a normal private car be allowed into Singapore?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: QR GO, SQ KFEG
Yes, private cars are allowed into Singapore. There is a daily charge for Malaysian cars after the first 10 days/year or something like that.
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltawe...ll-charge.html

What day are you arriving though? Don't forget that if you uber your way down south you might hit rush hour for Malaysians residing in Johor who travel into Singapore for work. And depending on where in Singapore you want to go, electronic road pricing may be in effect during rush hour (as well as peak hour surcharges on the taxis). You might also want to get hold of the Singapore Disembarkation/Embarkation card so you can fill it out before you hit the Tuas/Woodlands checkpoint.

Another option to consider, if you don't mind flying with a low cost carrier, is AirAsia. Think they have earlier departures from KLIA2 which is next door to KLIA.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Yes, private cars are allowed into Singapore. There is a daily charge for Malaysian cars after the first 10 days/year or something like that.
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltawe...ll-charge.html

What day are you arriving though? Don't forget that if you uber your way down south you might hit rush hour for Malaysians residing in Johor who travel into Singapore for work. And depending on where in Singapore you want to go, electronic road pricing may be in effect during rush hour (as well as peak hour surcharges on the taxis). You might also want to get hold of the Singapore Disembarkation/Embarkation card so you can fill it out before you hit the Tuas/Woodlands checkpoint.

Another option to consider, if you don't mind flying with a low cost carrier, is AirAsia. Think they have earlier departures from KLIA2 which is next door to KLIA.
Does Malaysians need a passport to drive into Singapore? I mean obviously an Uber wouldn't carry his passport with him? Or would it be easier to drop us at boarder and we just walk though border control and get another Uber/taxi at Singapore to hotel?

It will be a Saturday morning that we arrives.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Does Malaysians need a passport to drive into Singapore?
Most definitely, yes! Passport absolutely required!

Saturday morning makes things a little bit easier going southbound, unless it's school holidays, in which case, anything goes! On a normal Saturday morning, the main bulk of land traffic is heading northbound out of Singapore.

I hope you don't have that much luggage 'cos it's a bit of a distance to walk - not impossible, but definitely not that near - especially with the humidity! And if you're arriving in the next couple of months, be prepared for some rain. Malaysian Immigration is on the Johor side of the Straits of Johor. Singaporean Immigration is across the Straits. The crossing at Woodlands has the shorter walk, I believe. Have a look on google maps to get some idea of the distance.

Uber/taxi/Grab should be no problem from the Singaporean checkpoint.

If you find that to be too much hassle, the first AK flight arrives in SIN at 0710, so that gives you about 2+ hours to make it from KLIA to klia2. And that's probably gonna get you to your hotel in about the same time as driving down. Maybe even earlier than that if you're walking across the Causeway.

Last edited by flyingbubbles; Nov 13, 2016 at 7:59 am Reason: More info
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:11 am

http://www.taxisingapore.com/singapore-to-johor-bahru/

Have a look at these options, maybe?
You can consider a cross-border taxi, but bear in mind that it can only go to a designated stop in Singapore. You can use a regular local cab from there.

I must add that I haven't used these taxis in many a year! Not since the LCCs brought down the price of air travel between Singapore and Malaysia!

Last edited by flyingbubbles; Nov 13, 2016 at 9:00 am Reason: Grammar
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Will need to visit Singapore soon, booked with MH140 SYD-KUL, early morning arrival of 3:40am.

The earliest MH flight from KUL to SIN departs 8:05. Searched google map, it is 352km, 3hr 43minutes drive and Uber quoted MYR273 with their basic car. So it seems Uber will be cheaper for us and also gets us into Singapore earlier.

Is this actually doable? does a normal private car be allowed into Singapore?
How did you get an Uber "quote" and how do you know that a car will be available for this trip when you arrive?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
How did you get an Uber "quote" and how do you know that a car will be available for this trip when you arrive?
Uber estimate the trip once you entered the destination.

I will see if I can organise a reasonable price taxi/private car to drive us to Singapore. I wouldn't expect an uber driver to carry a passport with them. Also, it will be an 8 hour return trip, I guess it might piss off some drivers and waiting at 4am outside KUL wouldn't be a good idea.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Uber estimate the trip once you entered the destination.

I will see if I can organise a reasonable price taxi/private car to drive us to Singapore. I wouldn't expect an uber driver to carry a passport with them. Also, it will be an 8 hour return trip, I guess it might piss off some drivers and waiting at 4am outside KUL wouldn't be a good idea.
Ahhh an estimate is different than a quote Wouldn't guess there would be too many uber drivers waiting around at 4 am willing to do an 8 hour drive (nor would I feel very safe with them - I'd expect them to be too tired), anyway I've had variable success with uber being available in KL at normal places and at different times so I'm glad you're not depending on this one mode for transport!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:43 am

The most hassle free option would be to take one of the LCCs from KLIA to SIN. There are numerous flights a day, and it's only a 45minute flight.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
With respect,but why you always like to complicate things?

MH from KUL would cost you around 180MYR and you can chill in the MH lounge after a long flight,saving you the hassle of going landside and transferring to KLIA-2?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:51 am

Think it's safe to say we all value time, money, and the hassle factor differently.

The fastest way to his hotel in Singapore is either a straight drive down (without breaking the journey in JB), or the earliest AK flight departing at 0605. Both options have their own inherent risks.
The most convenient way is to wait for the first MH flight out, which saves the hassle of clearing immigration and baggage collection. But it will get him to his hotel maybe a couple of hours later. It's also the safest option as he would be covered if his arriving flight into KUL were to be delayed.

At the end of the day it's up to the OP and what's most important to him. To each his/her own! #nojudgement
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Think it's safe to say we all value time, money, and the hassle factor differently.

The fastest way to his hotel in Singapore is either a straight drive down (without breaking the journey in JB), or the earliest AK flight departing at 0605. Both options have their own inherent risks.
The most convenient way is to wait for the first MH flight out, which saves the hassle of clearing immigration and baggage collection. But it will get him to his hotel maybe a couple of hours later. It's also the safest option as he would be covered if his arriving flight into KUL were to be delayed.

At the end of the day it's up to the OP and what's most important to him. To each his/her own! #nojudgement

Flight from Syd to KUL can't be "delayed" as the current flight is only scheduled 40 minutes before curfew, so if any delay happens, will need to reschedule.

You are very right, the most confort and easy option will be MH to MH transit.
It will be me and my wife, it seems there are only 5 resting room with a bed at the platinum lounge, are they easy to get one?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:32 am

I'm not sure how easy it is to get a room there... Perhaps it's best to ask the people who frequent the Other Asian Airlines forum?
Whichever option you pick, safe travels!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:16 am

One thing to note is that arriving early in SIN (say, 8am/9am), the hotel will most probably not even have your room ready (unless you pay for an early checkin, or hold status that allows such early checkin)

Also, somhow I believe that 3xx MYR is VERY cheap for thise kind of trip, especially since the driver would probably have to drive back empty. I would never have thought that a ride could be had so cheap - assuming more like 600, 700 MYR at the very least, probably even more..

Maybe someone booked a SIN-KUL transfer, and you would have been the "return" trip for the driver, just during that very time you checked? Otherwise, if it's really available for 350 MYR, I could see more people booking it..

Also, note that you will have to do some stops, etc. - I would expect the drive to take longer than what Google says..

And while I've personally WALKED over the causeway once (when traffic was all nuts and my departure from SIN came closer..) I'd not suggest it to someone not being used to the climate, especially not with luggage (You can do it with luggage, I'm the proof of that, but it's no fun..) - you'll be walking a long stretch, stairs on SIN side, and once in SIN, you'll also pay quite a bit for a cab (if you immediately find one.. not that easy during rush hour) into the city - or need to take a bus, then MRT.. - nothing to save just to drive till the causeway.. if you book a transfer, book till your hotel in SIN.. (but I would just fly..)

I've flown with MH for less than 80 MYR SIN-KUL and vice versa, with all lounge access etc. definitely a bargain (in fact, dirt dirt cheap..)

So, all in all, I'd definitely go with a flight KUL-SIN.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Getting into the MH Platinum lounge isn't a sure thing ... I've been denied a few times (despite being double Emerald on OW) as they keep it for Enrich platinum. Very nice lounge if you do get in, and sure thing to get a room (unless some bigwigs are flying that day, highly unlikely). Most of the time that lounge is empty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.