Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM card for visitors

Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Are all the prepaid SIM cards available in SIN (SingTel, Starbub & M1) pretty much the same or is any of them a better deal than the others?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SchrottFly
Are all the prepaid SIM cards available in SIN (SingTel, Starbub & M1) pretty much the same or is any of them a better deal than the others?
Depends what your usage looks like. Do yo want to make calls, or just for data only? If latter, Starhub is a better deal, due to multiple options and the ability of data roaming in neighbouring countries as well.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:47 am

M1 also offers the possibility to use data in Malaysia and some more countries at the same rates as in Singapore.
https://www.m1.com.sg/mcard#tab4
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by t0t1t2
M1 also offers the possibility to use data in Malaysia and some more countries at the same rates as in Singapore.
Very useful thank you
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:04 pm

I have the same question, only using iphone for uber, google maps, other apps and texting, in Singapore and Malaysia. Seems that M1 and Starhub would be the best options and both available at Changi upon landing. How long does it take to activate as we would like to hail an uber to our hotel?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by sactoroy
I have the same question, only using iphone for uber, google maps, other apps and texting, in Singapore and Malaysia. Seems that M1 and Starhub would be the best options and both available at Changi upon landing. How long does it take to activate as we would like to hail an uber to our hotel?
Once you put in phone it already works. You can use Changi's free wifi to get Uber as well.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by t0t1t2
This is a very good suggestion, M1 is probably the best deal at the moment. I went for it too when briefly visiting Singapore last week. Here's how to get the most of it:

1. Buy a pre-paid SIM card for SGD 5 that comes with SGD 6 credit and 100MB free data for 3 days.
2. Use the credit to activate extra 1GB data for 3 days for SGD 5 (#100*3*1#). Activate 4G connectivity for it (#100*3*3#).
3. Data packages can also be used in a number of other countries, just enable roaming first (#100*8*1#). While you're at it, why not also deactivate voicemail (##61#, ##62# and ##67#).
4a. If you have no further use for the card afterwards, don't throw it away yet as it will stay active for 180 days, and you can even use the remaining SGD 1 credit to extend its validity by a further 90 days (#100*6*2#).
4b. If you need further credit, top up online for at least SGD 18 and get free 500MB data. Once this is depleted, you can then purchase other data bundles with the credit.
5. Changes to the account can be done through the #100# menu or online at https://mcardaccount.m1.com.sg/.

The only caveat: this offer is not available at the airport, it can only be purchased from a number of other locations. For people travelling from the airport to the city, I suggest taking bus 36 from Changi Airport instead of the MRT and getting off at Parkway Parade shopping mall, which has an M1 store at #02-24 (2nd floor). This doesn't even add much time compared to the MRT, particularly if you arrive at T2, as this is the last terminal the bus stops at and it then immediately takes the East Coast Pkwy, staying on it for most of the trip. Once you get the card, which takes no more than 5 min, you can continue your trip to the city on a different bus from the same stop.

Alternatively, if you are visiting Malaysia first, U Mobile has a roaming deal that includes Singapore alongside a number of other countries, and can work out to be cheaper than any of the options available locally, depending on your usage. The account validity is much shorter though, so it makes more sense for a regular user.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Apr 9, 2017 at 5:54 am Reason: fix # codes, which got automatically converted to links
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by sactoroy
Last time I was there I got one of the Starhub cards at the currency exchange and they put in and made sure everything was activated correctly for me.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Last time I was there I got one of the Starhub cards at the currency exchange and they put in and made sure everything was activated correctly for me.
Same for me. Also roaming in MY, KR, CN, TW, TH, HK, US, UK. Valid for 180days, if topped up, validity extended. Used whole week in MY, will check how it works in the others in 2 weeks time.

They even threw in an MRT card with $2 loaded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.