Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore arrival screening

Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check? I am used to chewing tobacco and it is now going to be prohibited in Singapore from August. I wanted to know if I can take some or just leave it behind.
In case I take some proper chewing tobacco (not drugs) will they just confiscate it or send me to jail? Earlier they would levy duty on it.
Do advise so I can plan my trip accordingly. Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by prerid
When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check?
Latter
I am used to chewing tobacco and it is now going to be prohibited in Singapore from August. I wanted to know if I can take some or just leave it behind.
Send an email to the proper authority and ask about the regulations. You will get your answer.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:47 am

When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check? I am used to chewing tobacco and it is now going to be prohibited in Singapore from August. I wanted to know if I can take some or just leave it behind.
In case I take some proper chewing tobacco (not drugs) will they just confiscate it or send me to jail? Earlier they would levy duty on it.
Do advise so I can plan my trip accordingly. Thanks.
I didn't know it was banned, but if it is, leave it at home.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Singapore is a great place to visit, it is very clean, has a VERY low crime rate, and everything works like clockwork.

The citizens all do military service.

It is rare to see a police officer or a customs offical while visiting Singapore, BUT believe you me they know whats going on.

So if you want to take something into Singapore that is illegal, expect to spend some time in a Singapore Jail.

If you need to travel with your chewbacca - my suggestion would be to leave it in the luggage storage area which is in each terminal for about $10 a day, drop it off before you go thru downstairs to arrivals processing, and collect it on departure before you go to the gate

Easy peasy
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
In Singapore, jail is one of the better punishment.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check.

1st question: Random checks. From my dozens of flights I'd anecdotally estimate it as maybe 10-15% of the time, however YMMV.

Caveat -- Occasionally, flights are selected (for whatever reason) for arrival security screening, in which case all hand luggage is screened near the arrival gate. However I don't know if at this stage they screen for alcohol, tobacco, etc (I'd imagine they only screen for security threats but I'm just a random internet poster).

2nd question -- Extremely unlikely that you will be sent to jail assuming a reasonable quantity of chewing tobacco. Extremely likely that if you get caught, they will levy duties plus a significant fine.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by adampenrith
The citizens all do military service.
My last stint in the military service about 1-2 years ago was military patrol in the three terminals in Changi Airport. Of all my visits to the airport getting ready to depart to another leisure destination, that was the first time I went to the airport for 'work'.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Question #1: I've been screened 4 out of the last 5 arrivals NRT-IAD on UA/NH that lands late at night. There are multiple flights arriving at the nearly the same time in same terminal so not sure if that's a factor.

Be prepared for bags to be checked. If I were you, I would bring your chew on your person, not bags. Nobody's going to jail for this. They will likely just confiscate if discovered, with a warning.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by tide
Question #1: I've been screened 4 out of the last 5 arrivals NRT-IAD on UA/NH that lands late at night. There are multiple flights arriving at the nearly the same time in same terminal so not sure if that's a factor.

Be prepared for bags to be checked. If I were you, I would bring your chew on your person, not bags. Nobody's going to jail for this. They will likely just confiscate if discovered, with a warning.
(bold added)

Not quite. If during a search any tobacco products are found, there will be a substantial fine for failure to declare a restricted item (tobacco), as well as charges for excise taxes. There isn't an option to just walk away and allow confiscation. On the other hand, I think that upon payment of fines and taxes Customs will allow the tobacco to be brought in.

On the screening, it could be random, or it could be responding to a security alert. I've been on these UA/NH flights fairly often and am generally allowed to walk right through.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
(bold added)

Not quite. If during a search any tobacco products are found, there will be a substantial fine for failure to declare a restricted item (tobacco), as well as charges for excise taxes. There isn't an option to just walk away and allow confiscation. On the other hand, I think that upon payment of fines and taxes Customs will allow the tobacco to be brought in.
I was speaking from personal experience. Always interested in your own experience of course. Customs confiscated a vape pen (2016) from a bag that was scanned before exit. I was taken to a room and asked to sign a paper consenting to the confiscation but no fine was levied. In essence a warning.

YMMV of course but a real data point.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by tide
I was speaking from personal experience. Always interested in your own experience of course. Customs confiscated a vape pen (2016) from a bag that was scanned before exit. I was taken to a room and asked to sign a paper consenting to the confiscation but no fine was levied. In essence a warning.

YMMV of course but a real data point.
I believe what happened is that e-cigarettes and associated equipment while physical tobacco is regulated (ie possession is okay, albeit at a high price). For anyone who has been caught once with vaping equipment, my guess is that if they do it again they will be looking at a fine in addition to confiscation.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...es-sold-online
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:46 am

SG Arrival Reference Arrival

I entered Singapore using SG Arrival online. Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the reference number. Is there anywhere I can retrieve the reference number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.