Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Student Studying Abroad in Singapore at NUS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by JHattery
Bahasa is the APAC equivalent of Spanish, and likely tied with it in being one of the easier languages to learn.
Not sure what you're trying to say here but if you're saying it is widespread know that Bahasa (Melayu/Malaysia or Indonesia variants) is only used in 3 countries in Asia (Malaysia/Brunei/Indonesia) and sees some limited use in Singapore and perhaps southern Thailand near the border with Malaysia.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by tide
Not sure what you're trying to say here but if you're saying it is widespread know that Bahasa (Melayu/Malaysia or Indonesia variants) is only used in 3 countries in Asia (Malaysia/Brunei/Indonesia) and sees some limited use in Singapore and perhaps southern Thailand near the border with Malaysia.
Southeast Asia equivalent would probably be better than APAC. Actually Tagalog also has some similarities with Bahasa M&I. Moreover, given the population of Indonesia, 250+ million give and take, it is the most widely spoken language in Southeast Asia by headcount, not even counting Malaysia and Brunei.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by tide
In the USA, Spanish is often considered the "easiest" foriegn language to learn. In terms of Asian languages, many would apply the same description to Bahasa. It has nothing to do with usage or dispersal.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: mix and match
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Hello Singaporeans!

I am a student at Rice University in Houston, TX, USA and I have the opportunity to study at NUS from January 2017-May 2017.

I am studying economics, and NUS seems to have a good program in that field.

However, I am wondering if anyone could comment on the student culture at NUS? Did anyone here attend NUS? Would it be difficult for one to make friends coming in as an American?

For what it's worth, I do not speak any Mandarin or Malay. However, from what I can gather that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any comments would be most appreciated!

Thank you!
Feel free to PM me for any qn about NUS and its culture.

Culture: the culture amongst local and Asian (full-time) international student is to study and get super busy in student-run activities. Making friend is not hard (unless you expect the locals and the localised foreigners to go hang out, club or travel with you).

As an exchange student, you'll get some on-campus options:
1. PGP/UT Residence: mainly populated by foreign (full-time and exchange) students. Perfect for those who wish limited interaction, or wish to spend less time with locals. (it sounds weird but there are exchange students who do just that; even more bizarre is the anti-Asian behavior exhibited by exchange students from the West )
2. Halls: Mainly populated by local students. Very social; you'll be obligated to participate in various activities. Perfect place for social butterflies.
3. Residential Colleges: Mainly populated by local students. A good study-student life balance. Many academic activities (and field trips to various local places) going on there.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Henwurst
I would strongly recommend living close to campus. You can always take a taxi to get home in the middle of the night, but trying to get to class during rush hour can be a real pain.
Plus: it is cheap. A private room at one of the colleges costs approximately 2000usd for the entire semester including meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.