Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Intercontinental Singapore or Conrad Centennial?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

We have two nights in Singapore at the end of May. I have IHG points and can stay for free at IC. I have platinum status, but the lounge would cost around $90 per night. We like lounges or club floors during our stays. At the Conrad, I would get free executive club room on points due to upgrade with Hilton Diamond (from status match a few months ago). I usually like more historical hotels which I think the IC is. I don't know Singapore at all so I'm not sure what attractions either hotel is near or what their neighborhoods are like. I've narrowed my search down to these two hotels and any insights you can give would be appreciated. I don't know Singapore at all so I'm not sure what attractions either hotel is near. Thanks in advance
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:40 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The IC is in Bugis, one of the more exciting neighborhoods in Singapore. The Conrad area is more bland, surrounded by malls. IC club is lovely, and the hotel plays on the history. It's my go-to hotel in Singapore. That said, the hotels aren't far apart, maybe 10-15 minutes on foot, so you'll survive at either one, and I'd make my choice based on value for money.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
FWIW, IC is inspired by history, with the shophouses rooms and exterior (on the lower three floors, though not on the tower), and the recently refreshed Peranakan-style interior design. But it is quite modern, built in the last two or three decades, not a century ago. Some if you're keen on authentic historical buildings, you'll want the nearby Raffles Hotel, not the IC. If you're ok with being inspired by history, then the IC will do the trick better than the Conrad.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
The renovated IC Singapore rooms are great, stayed there last year and much of the lobby was getting refurbished. It has more personality than the Conrad, but obviously up to you to decide if the $180 is worth it.

Both club lounges are great (as expected in Asia) but whilst the Conrad feels very much like a business hotel, the IC lounge makes you feel like you're in Singapore.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: most of them
I enjoyed my stay at the IC. The location is very good and it is easy to get around on foot or by public transport. And the little shopping area attached to it (Bugis Junction) is nice (and climate controlled) with plenty of little bakery places in the basement level for cheap bread/pastry type things as well as a small grocery store.

The standard rooms are not especially historical. I was there before the renovation was completed. I hope they redid the bathrooms as that was the weakest link in my room. The lobby bar area is quite nice and seemed pretty popular.

Plenty of great food all around in Singapore. Not sure what it is about a lounge that appeals to you especially, but I doubt it's worth paying a lot extra for.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Thank you everyone for your input. It looks like the IC gets the most votes. Can anyone tell me if it is in walking distance to the different ethnic neighborhoods-Little India, Muslim area, Chinatown? Thanks!!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
The IC is in Bugis, one of the more exciting neighborhoods in Singapore. The Conrad area is more bland, surrounded by malls. IC club is lovely, and the hotel plays on the history. It's my go-to hotel in Singapore. That said, the hotels aren't far apart, maybe 10-15 minutes on foot, so you'll survive at either one, and I'd make my choice based on value for money.
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what makes the Bugis neighborhood exciting?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: most of them
The big mosque/Muslim quarter is about 15 minutes' walk. Little India about the same or maybe 20 minutes. It's a very sweaty walk to either...just like walking in general.

Here's a trip report I did
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...nh-f-tg-c.html
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
The big mosque/Muslim quarter is about 15 minutes' walk. Little India about the same or maybe 20 minutes. It's a very sweaty walk to either...just like walking in general.

Here's a trip report I did
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...nh-f-tg-c.html
Thank you so much for your trip report!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by konaflyer
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what makes the Bugis neighborhood exciting?
The Bugis neighbourhood has a lot of history and is walking distance to places of interest like Sultan Mosque (as the city state used to be a Sultanate long time ago), and the recently revitalized area of Haji Lane with lots of coffee shops and arts and crafts store.

Furthermore there is also a very well known Buddhist temple around the area that a lot of Chinese pilgrims visit. Across from the IC is the National Library building.

All in all, a more exciting neighbourhood than the Conrad where everything around it is newly built shopping malls, office towers and a convention centre. The area around Conrad is quieter in the weekends though, if peace and serenity is what one looks for.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
The Bugis neighbourhood has a lot of history and is walking distance to places of interest like Sultan Mosque (as the city state used to be a Sultanate long time ago), and the recently revitalized area of Haji Lane with lots of coffee shops and arts and crafts store.

Furthermore there is also a very well known Buddhist temple around the area that a lot of Chinese pilgrims visit. Across from the IC is the National Library building.

All in all, a more exciting neighbourhood than the Conrad where everything around it is newly built shopping malls, office towers and a convention centre. The area around Conrad is quieter in the weekends though, if peace and serenity is what one looks for.
I appreciate your insights into the neighborhood. Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:12 am

IC has injected peranakan flavors into its design, most evident from its club lounge on the second floor. Conrad is more chic and modern, and would cater to those looking for sophistication I guess.

Edit: To reinforce point about IC's peranakan identity, some photo samples taken from Intercontinental Singapore-Exploration Magnifique
(that page also shows shots of the swimming pool, but that's besides the point)

Last edited by MoneyInMattress; Apr 12, 2016 at 6:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.