Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Places to eat in Singapore

Places to eat in Singapore

Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:47 am
Original Poster

881 XO Fish Head Beehoon, Balestier

I have just published this review on 881 XO Fish Head Beehoon, Balestier on my globetrekka blog which you can find here. You can see it in full glorious technicolour there. As part of my efforts to improve the blog, I am now adding menus to the bottom of the review. I've excluded these from the FlyerTalk review as I worry I will end up adding reams of menus which will distract from the food experience,

881 XO Fish Head Beehoon is another one of my favourites along Balestier Road. I hear that Whampoa Keng is better, but having never been there I cant make a judgement on that. However a future review on Whampoa Keng will definitely be in the offing.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....3/img_3883.jpg

Why do I like this restaurant? Well the food is really really good. Its not the cheapest around (see my recent review on John Thai at Balestier Food Market, which as got to be one of the best cheap eats in this part of Singapore) but it is pretty reasonable. The portion sizes are decent as well.

What are the stand out dishes? Well as the name would suggest, the Fish Head Beehoon is supposed to be good. Ironically though, Ive never tried it! Many people who have been here say that its worth trying, but Im more enamoured by the other dishes on offer.

The photos below are in no particular order.

Fried Beehoon
Unfortunately I do not remember the exact name of this dish as there is another beehoon dish at this restaurant but in that case it has a gravy which I am not a particular fan of. This one is the dry version and I actually usually buy this as take away and then leave it in the fridge to eat on a couple of evenings during the week I find large portion can serve me 2/3 diners.
The dish isnt really outstanding but then it is difficult to make what is essentially a plate of fried noodles, really really superb. This is only here because its a dish I eat on a regular basis.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_2974.jpg

Deep Fried Fish Skin with Preserved Egg
I only recently tried this dish so either Ive been completely blind all this time, or I havent been paying close enough attention. Either of which could be true statements! And at the same time, what have I been missing out on!
They manage to keep the skin absolutely crispy (but not hard) and then the salty egg makes it so moreish. In fact that makes it such a dreadful dish you keep eating more and more, have to order another plate, and then are too full to eat anything else!!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_2978.jpg

Sambal French Beans
I dont know why but this sambal dish is not super spicy, and thats good because I dont really like feeling of my face melting while Im eating. You do get a more delicate sambal flavour coming through and the beans are still nice as crisp as properly stirfried vegetables should be.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_2980.jpg

Hot Plate Beancurd
It does look a bit of a dogs dinner, and actually the egg doesnt look cooked, but thats the sauce that is added to the dish that gives the egg the runny consistency. By the time it gets to your table the egg should be cooked after all it is actually in contact with the hot plate itself.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_2982.jpg

Prawn Paste Chicken
This is definitely one of the dishes that I recommend. Really a more-ish dish. This used to be a mixture of wing parts, but now they just stick with the wings proper. Being smaller, they cook a bit more evenly and thus you get crispy-goodness with every serving. At the same time, Im sure it saves them money and boosts their profit.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_2984.jpg

Chicken in Thai Chili Sauce

Ive only tried this a few times but the chicken is really really crispy nicely deep fried and the Thai chili sauce is nice and sweet with a bit of tanginess.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_7455.jpg

Coffee Pork Ribs
As someone who isnt a big drinker of coffee, I can appreciate the deep flavour that is brought out when mixing coffee and pork ribs yum!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_8251.jpg

Prawn Roll
Another one of their specialities. What I have tended to find is that they may not always prepare them on a daily basis so it might not be on offer. I do find it a bit ridiculous really, given this is supposed to be a house special dish. Its a time consuming dish to make, but still, it shouldnt be offered if its not going to available consistently.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....2/img_2461.jpg
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JHattery
Wander around Little India and pop into any shop that "smells good to you." Banana Leaf Apolo in Little India is well known. Many hawker centers have stalls selling Indian fare, particularly chicken biryani.

You can always ask hotel staff or concierge, and in Singapore, cabbies are often excellent info sources.
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Singapore has many wonderful Indian and Indian inspired restaurants, given our significant Indian community. This blog post gives you some ideas - http://thehoneycombers.com/singapore...yjiAMUUC449.97

For cheaper eats, try this link.
http://www.thebestsingapore.com/eat-...s-in-singapor/

Samy's Curry is very famous. They are Dempsey Road. I would recommend that. You probably need to take a taxi there and back though.
Ended up walking around Little India for a good amount of time and settled on Komala Vilas. It was fantastic - completely full at 1:30pm in the afternoon and we seemed to be the only tourists in the restaurant (which I always take as a good sign of the authenticity of the place).

I would recommend to anyone coming in the future - neither of us had any trouble either with our relatively week western stomachs.

We also went to Maxwell Hawker and had the opportunity to try both Tian Tian and Ah Tai (with virtually no wait at either place). I thought Tian Tian was the clear winner - I know it's a bit touristy but definitely fun to experience the Hawker Center and see Chinatown.

I'll come back and add pictures from both once I get home from this trip and get pictures uploaded.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:26 am

I made this compilation video of hawker/food court food from Singapore. The food that I eat here are widely available and very delicious, in my opinion!

Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:58 am

In my earlier food compilation video, I missed out chicken rice altogether. That's bad. We are famous for Hainanese Chicken Rice and so here are some videos.

Wee Nam Kee chicken rice at United Square, near Novena MRT station. Good food at reasonable prices.

Another chicken rice store, this time far out near Jurong East.

Chicken Rice set in a local food court.

Another chicken rice store, this one in Funan Digilife Mall.

Hail Hainanese Chicken Rice!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Although not a tourist friendly area, or a tourist friendly dish, my go-to meal in Singapore is the yong tau foo at Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo, located in the main Ang Mo Kio hawker area (off Ave 6). Pair your selections with the incredible curry soup/gravy, and make sure to walk to the opposite side of the open area from where the stall is located, and there is a fresh sugar cane juice stand, which you'll need to balance the spice.

Look for a seat under one of the giant fans or you'll leave soaking wet, but it's worth it. Also, this is not a tourist friendly hawker area, so bring your own tissues/napkins (or buy some from the ladies at the tables)...but at least you'll feel more local. The owner of the stall can range from charming to infuriated depending on his mood, so best to know the procedure up front - don't join the line, just grab a bowl and fill with your yong tau foo choices, hand him the bowl and specify your noodle type and soup type (curry, of course) and then join the line with everyone waiting for the dish to be cooked by his wife inside.

Exit Ang Mo Kio MRT to Ave 6 (past the fast food restaurant, down the steps, turn right) and keep following the outdoor mall plaza all the way to the hawker area further up. If you finish the dish and you're overheated, there is a large air conditioned supermarket across the way, just browse in there until you cool off before heading back to the MRT.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:20 pm

Peach Garden

There is a chain of restaurants called Peach Garden. They are well known for good food. I've had the privilege of dining at various outlets and here are some videos.

This meal was at Peach Garden @ Hotel Miramar. It was an a la carte buffet set lunch and we brought the extended family there. Wonderful food.

One of their newer restaurants at Metropolis building Singapore, which is opposite Buona Vista MRT station.

At yet another dinner where we had a set dinner at Peach Garden.

Have a great day!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Tomi Sushi Novena

Who hasnt tried sushi? Go on. Raise your hand. I know there are some of you out there who have never tried it. Dont be afraid. Only about 5 years ago I was one of those people. A sushi virgin. Despite fighting my way through numerous buffets and seafood options, never had raw fish passed by my lips.

My first sushi experience was at Ichiban Boshi in Novena, and after eating there a few times I realised that I quite enjoyed the whole experience. A couple of years later I made the leap and actually made a trip to Japan (twice in 12 months!). It was then I realised how wrong it was to eat at Ichiban. Everything was just a bit off. The fish is a bit dry, the quantity of fish given a bit small, the rice was not warmer than the fish and so on. As a result I made an effort to look for a bit more of an authentic Japanese sushi experience.

Unfortunately the truly great sushi places in Singapore are extremely expensive. I will be writing a report on Tatsuya at the Goodwood Park Hotel but there are several others such as Hide Yamamoto at Marina Bay Sands or Nadaman at Shangri La.

Thus trying to find a place that serves decent quality Japanese food in Singapore at reasonable prices is quite hard. And it was actually on one day I was looking for Japanese food in Novena and there was a huge queue (as usual) for Ichiban that I stumbled upon Tomi Sushi. And the rest is history [you can see the review with all the pictures here]

When I first started going there, most of the staff, even the sushi chefs were Japanese. Now that is not the case. I dont know the reason why, but there are only a handful of Japanese staff left. Taking from the a la carte menu is rather expensive. However, if you go for the set meals they tend to be good value. S$25 for a set meal? Not bad if you ask me. And I always feel full afterwards. If you look back through my Singapore Food Tour category, you can see that I like to eat! So when I say its filling, it really is filling!

Is this really a true Japanese restaurant? No. Although the origins are in Japan, without the Japanese staff behind the counter, the quality control is clearly slightly less. Having said that, I think for the price this may well be a good choice. A sign of decent quality? When there are Japanese eating there quite regularly. Nearly every time I have been there, there are usually several Japanese families there.

As is usual I will let my photos do the talking (and of course they are not all taken at the same time; this is not a buffet!!!!)

This next series of photos are the set menus that are on offer; usually starting at around S$25.

IMG_0528

IMG_3457

IMG_3335

IMG_4067

IMG_4131

IMG_0424

IMG_6652

And now comes the individual orders of sushi, sashimi, rolls, wraps and tempura

IMG_4133

IMG_4135

IMG_0438

IMG_3962

IMG_3996

IMG_6654

IMG_6656

IMG_6660

IMG_9677

You can follow my travels on the globetrekka website
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

Wish I had read this before my last trip in SIN. I did enjoy the food in Singapore, and love the food courts. I have posted a TR, link below on Post #5.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...leage-run.html
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

I actually went back to Yan Ting recently -- I realise it would be a post about the same restaurant from the same original poster. Would there be any objections?
The post is hopefully more in depth than the first post.

If I don't hear from people in the next 24hours I'll go ahead and post it on Sunday morning.

And here's a little "taster"

Last edited by SQTraveller; Apr 22, 2016 at 7:52 pm Reason: adding video
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Return to Yan Ting at St Regis

I am posting this as I've not heard anything, but mods please feel free to remove if you think posting about the same place is against policy.

After a month or so of not eating buffets and saving up money. I thought it was about high time that I went on a buffet rampage again. Really, like a moth to a flame, when I see a buffet I cannot hold myself back. I need to go nearer and nearer.

You can see a little video of the culinary adventure here

I only had one more month left on my St Regis Supper Club membership, and thought that this would as a good a time as any to go back and experience it one last time. I had some travelling planned for the rest of the year so decided that I wouldn't renew my membership just yet as I wouldn't be able to make the best use of it. I found that the Brasserie Les Saveurs Sunday Brunch Buffet was just a bit too rich for me so opted for the Yan Ting buffet [disclaimer: some of these photos may be from previous trips]. You can read my previous review here. And this particular time I invited a larger number of friends.

Writing many reviews on the place is probably pointless, people get bored. In fact this I had been back to Yan Ting a couple of times since my last review in September last year (Click here to see the September 2015 review for me first experience of Yan Ting). At first I was going to write a review for each time, but I thought rather than write every time and thus incurring the wrath of people who thought I was wasting internet space, it might make more sense to write about the same place, at most once a year.

When first faced with normal buffets, with all the food laid out, I feel like a challenge has been offered. And like an idiot, I can't help but accept. It really is a bit like the sixth of the The Twelve Tasks of Asterix, where they must finish a meal prepared by a chef that cooks for the Titans (these a big dudes) --- which Obelix does with no problem. In fact, if I remember correctly, at the end of the meal (when the chef has no more food to cook), Obelix complains that he's just getting started. Unfortunately, I have never ever ever got to the stage when the food has run out or, at the end of the buffet, I feel like I am just getting started!

Anyway, I digress. As I have mentioned previously, Yan Ting is not as famous as many of the other hotel buffets. First I suspect the price has something to do with it. But I also think it is also overshadowed by its cousin on the ground floor, Brasserie Les Saveurs, which serves French style gastronomy. Also my suspicion is that people don't think they should be eating high end Chinese food in Singapore when there is much cheaper fare available outside. I hear all these arguments and accept them, but this really is a different type of experience. Of course if you are looking for something regular to eat and cheap, then there is plenty of good food available. Many in the West think that Chinese food is quick to cook; just throw the ingredients into a wok and it suddenly all comes together and they would be correct. However, it is not the cooking that takes time, it's the preparation. If the food is not prepared correctly or fully, then when it comes to frying, you may well be missing key ingredients. Also, the quality of the ingredients matter. Typically because the food is on the street or cheap, the quality of the ingredients is usually lower. Of course that means more cost, but simply buying the most expensive will not necessarily mean it is the most tasty. In this, it is so important to have a culinary team that really knows what it is doing, in terms of selection of ingredients and cooking technique. And I think that Yan Ting achieves that; especially at the buffet.

Just as a reminder there are two sittings 10.30am to 12.30pm and 1pm to 3pm. We always chose the 10.30am slot, as it would allow us the whole afternoon to recover. Also, there maybe a chance to eat through the second sitting.

The entrance is on the U1, which is the level that overlooks the lobby area. You can either go up by lift, or by the big sweeping staircase. I generally take the lift up, and then the stairs down --- my pretense that I'm actually doing some kind of exercise!!

As before we went for the Food and Chinese tea option which cost S$108++ per person; the others include House Wines, Beer, Soft Drink and Juice (S$148++); R de Ruinart Brut, House Wines, Beer, Soft Drink and Juice (S$168++); Child (S$53++): 4 -12 years old. A lot of people commented here and in other sites that this was way too much to pay, even with the discount and the vouchers. And I totally get where those people are coming from. It really is not up the alley of some readers. But as they say, we're all consenting adults here (or at least some of us) and if want to damn ourselves then I think that's fine. If there is a defence (and that's a big "if") I would say that if you were selecting off the a la carte menu is well in excess of the whole price of the buffet.

And I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself here, because I have kind of used my previous post as a guide, but I think some of the key points are pretty important to make:

Number of servings. When you go to a normal dim sum restaurant and the servings are all set; har kau, siew mai, come in groups of 4. At Yan Ting, you determine the number of servings only one person in your group like har kau; no problem. Just order one har kau yes, thats right. you only need order what you want. And this works across the whole range of food --- even when you are ordering the fillets of fish or rice.
Specially crafted Delights. These are really very very tasty, as would be expected given the title one is a double boiled abalone soup; the other is a wok baked boston lobster. You dont really get a choice as to when these appear they just do. Just dont go and stuff your faces with other food and forget about these though!!! They are worth eating on a reasonably empty stomach. Usually once you arrive, they will send instruction to the kitchen to prepare the lobster and abalone, so just make sure that you order it first.
Roasted meat. Now in my previous post, I made the comment "Avoid". And I'm not joking, when I came here the first time this was an awful dish to have. I couldn't believe how rough the duck, char siu and chicken were. However, this time around I was suitably impressed with the duck and the char siu. It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to duck, so I wasn't blown over by it, but my mind is now changed -- eating the duck and char siu is certainly not a bad option.
Crispy roast pork. Technically this should be in the above posting on roasted meat, but I felt it deserved it's own key point. WOW!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! I was totally bowled over by it. The first time I had it, I think the disappointment of the other roast meats overwhelmed me. However, now I've eaten it as a stand alone, I was completely blown away by it. The skin was so crispy and the meat was still juicy. And a little tab of mustard really cuts through the fat. A little warning though, do eat it quickly cause, it doesn't taste as good cold, and (more importantly) someone else might eat it first!!!!!!!!
Save room for desert. We almost made the mistake of ploughing through the entire menu several times and forgetting about desert. While the desert is not the stand out part of the meal, it would seem churlish to not at least try to get through some of the sweet offerings.
The whole setting is very elegant. This picture (which is reused from the previous Yan Ting post), shows a really nicely laid out restaurant. And even when there a quite a number of occupied tables it doesn't feel super crowded. To the far left there are a number of private rooms, which you can also book if you so desire. And in the far left corner there is actually a more private space for about 10 people; though not a private room.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....5727.jpg?w=748

Looking to the back of the picture, you can see the frosted glass. If you could see through it, you would look over into the Brasserie Les Saveurs (which I have previously written about) which on the lobby level.

So here's a bit more of a detailed description of each of the dishes. I apologise if some of these photos are reposts, as they quality of some of latest photos were not up to muster.

The menus can be found here; while the specific dim sum brunch buffet menu can be found here.

At the start of the sitting, once the the waiter/waitress knows that you are in for the buffet, they let you know that they have already put in the order for the abalone soup and the lobster. Bear in mind that nearly everything is cooked completely from fresh so that if you ask them to wait, you might then have to wait for it to be served when you ask for it. Personally I just let them get on with it -- about 15mins later it will coming out. Also as some other dishes take quite a bit of time to prepare and cook, it is actually a pretty good way to start the meal.

I dedicate a couple of photos to the Double-Boiled Fresh Abalone Soup with Black Garlic, served in a little tea pot. It really is a dainty little set up, and when I first got served it, I must say that I wasn't particularly impressed. I mean, really? Look at the size of it. There's almost no point.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5776.jpg

When it is first served to you, the wait staff will pour the soup. Don't touch the pot as it is piping hot! And my first complaint about how small the tea pot was, is really put to shame. The soup is extremely rich so any more than what they offer you might well actually have been too much for me. In fact you probably get about 3-4 tea cup fulls of delicious soup.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress..../img_57741.jpg

And don't forget, once you've finished drinking the soup, you should finish up the delicious abalone and mushrooms inside. The mushrooms are so meaty you could almost mistake them for actual meat.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3155.jpg

Now onto the Wok-baked Boston Lobster with Superior Stock, which they should emphasise as only half a lobster. I do think it's a bit of false marketing to call it Boston Lobster, as that suggests a whole lobster. My thought is -- well you already got the other half, why not give me that one too??!!

So bear in mind they only serve one half. I am showing you two separate halves just to get you salivating!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....pg?w=748&h=561

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5780.jpg

Who can forget the mixed meat? On my first trip here, the only good thing was the crispy roasted pork. The others were kinda so so. And actually the other roasted meat was disappointing that I was tempted not to come back and just stick with Brasserie Les Saveurs. After all really good roasted meat can be found on street corners. However, when I came back, I'm glad that I gave it a second chance because it was so much better on the second time round. Below is Barbecued Pork with Honey Glaze (char siu), Roasted Duck, Soya Sauce Chicken and the aforementioned Crispy Roast Pork.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5782.jpg

And don't forget this is a buffet, so you can order the meat of any variety and in any quantity you like. So here below, we've just gone and ordered a portion of the char siu and the roast duck -- yummm!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3161.jpg

And of course the heavenly crispy roast pork. This photo is just one of the many many portions we ordered. In one sitting I think we re-ordered it 4 times alone!!! Yes 4 times the crispy fatty goodness!! It was that freaking good!!! And what is quite remarkable (and you'll find me making similar comments throughout this review), is much of the food is extremely light and so easy to eat. Sometimes Chinese food can be a bit stodgy. However, this food is pretty much all goodness and light. You really could keep eating this until you suffered a heart attack!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3159.jpg

The next section is dedicated to the typical dim sum menu.

Steamed Pork and Shrimp Dumplings with Black Truffles aka Siew Mai. This really was great dish. Truffle can be a bit overpowering but being so thinly sliced it was actually really complimentary.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3186.jpg

And what goes with Siew Mai? Steamed Crystal Shrimp Dumplings with Bamboo Pith (har kau) of course!!!! The dumpling skin is so thin you can see the prawn within. That's how it should be. I couldn't taste the bamboo pith. Though to be honest I probably wouldn't be able to tell what one was if it hit me in the face and shouted "here I am!"

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5768.jpg

[firstly apologies for the blurry picture] Trio of Mushroom with Truffle. I didn't order this until my most recent trip. My general view being, if I am going to a buffet, why would I eat vegetables --- well .... this is why! This was a surprisingly tasty dish. I've decided that I like the earthy taste of truffles, and this just reinforced that point of view.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_4082.jpg

Oven-baked Pork Pastry with Almonds (char siu sou) was another unbelievable dish. We must have reordered this three times it was that awesome. Yes. Three. In this iteration it was with almonds, but they have also served it in a more traditional style - with sesame.
In fact, it was so good I ended up ordering this again, just before embarking on the desert course!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2648.jpg

Deep Fried Meat Croquette --- I misinterpreted this as woo kok. It was tasty, but because I really love woo kok, this was always going to be a bit of a disappoint. Again, although it was deep-friend it was not oily.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5766.jpg

Hong Kong Style Pan-fried Carrot Cake. Not much to write home about.

Steamed Spare Ribs in Black Bean Sauce. Another one of my favourite dim sum dishes, and this one they definitely do not overcook the ribs which makes them extremely juicy and tender.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3157.jpg

Not sure what the official designation is on the menu, but this was chicken and preserved egg in sticky rice.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5792.jpg

Steamed Scallops with Beancurd in XO Sauce. I have mixed feelings about this one. I found the beancurd kinda got in the way of the scallop, while the XO topping seemed to overpower the flavour and the texture of the scallop. Having said that, many dining companions who ate this said they really liked it, so I guess this is just down to personal preference.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2654.jpg

Out of the two scallop dishes, the Pan-fried Scallop with Corn in Teriyaki Sauce was the dish I enjoyed the most. Again, as with many dining experiences, this is very much down to personal preference. I'm not so convinced about the corn, as it adds a slightly odd texture, especially if it gets cold. However, I shouldn't really complain. The teriyaki sauce compliments the scallop well, though it must be said, one helping they put too much on and it became a bit too much then.

Deep-fried Prawns with Mayonnaise. This is one of those dishes you can find in any "good" dim sum restaurant. Often the batter is bit on the heavy side or the mayonnaise a bit too sickly, but on both counts, this iteration of the classic seems to perform its escape act particularly well. The batter (as I've mentioned with other dishes) is super light and the mayonnaise is not overpowering at all. I would venture a guess that the mayonnaise is homemade, but I couldn't say for certain.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2640.jpg

Spicy Sichuan-style Prawns was one dish that I was quite "meh" about. I could take it or leave it. First thing I couldn't quite work out was, am I supposed it eat the whole thing? i.e. with the shell still on? I assumed that since it was served like that, it was supposed to be eaten like that. Philistine that I am I never could figure it out, so I just ate it with the shell on.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5800.jpg

I was quite looking forward to the Oven-baked Pork Neck but having eaten pork neck in Thailand this really was a bit of disappointment. What I did like was the fatty bits of course!!!!! But I don't recall there being any sauce to cut through the fatty notes.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2660.jpg

One of favourite dishes, the Deep-fried Live 'Soon Hock' is amazingly light. And it is crispy with a batter so thing you can still make out the skin. In many place, they just keep coating the fish in batter until you just one big lump of batter with some meat lost in the middle.

Of course the fried nature of the fish makes it a tiny bit oily, but the sauce it is served in makes a wonderful compliment, cutting through the oil

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2642.jpg

Apologies (again!) for the blurry picture of the Crispy Roast Chicken in Garlic Sauce. I'm sorry it's sounding like a long playing record but it really was amazing how light the chicken was. I don't know how they did it at all. The chicken wasn't a deep heavy meaty flavour you get from eating something like Hainan chicken rice. In fact we kept eating this and weren't feeling full at all!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_4084.jpg

The Deep-fried Sea Perch Fillet in Spicy Mango Sauce was probably one of the most disappointing dishes on this list. Disappointing that it didn't meet the same high expectations that had been set out by the other dishes. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad dish, it just wasn't as good as the rest. Again, personal choice, but some of my companions enjoyed this one a lot. I confess I was confused by the mango with the hot fish, made the crispy batter go floppy quite quickly.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3192.jpg

I am not entirely certain what this dish was, even having consulted the current menu and my own record of the menu. It might be the Deep-fried Live 'Soon Hock' with Crabmeat and Roe, but for the life of me I can't remember eating the crabmeat and roe, nor can I see it in the picture below --- I leave it for you to decide

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3190.jpg

I don't recall trying the Teochew-style Marinated Pork Belly, though I suspect as I have photo of it, the plate must have been in front of me at some point and I must have tried it!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5784.jpg

The Stir-fried Carrot Cake with XO Sauce is a bit of a variation on a theme really - seems a bit like the Hong Kong Style Pan-fried Carrot Cake just cut up into chunks and then stir-fried. I'm not a huge fan, but again horses for courses, different dining companions couldn't get enough of it.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3195.jpg

Now the Deep-fried Beancurd Roulette Filled with Shrimp and Pork is cunningly hidden under the Poultry section - yes that's right, apparently shrimp, pork or beancurd is now considered poultry. But that aside, as you can tell by the (more than) half finished plate, this was definitely a good dish!! Yep, you guessed it, light beyond belief!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_3203.jpg

As some of you readers will know, I don't really eat but, but I did have a piece of the Cantonese-style Beef Tenderloin, and boy was it good. Beautifully succulent, it was moist as soft --- really barely had to chew it.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_4088.jpg

The Macau-style Baked Pork Ribs are like any ribs served at a Chinese restaurant --- way way way too little meat.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5804.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the Black Fungus Salad anywhere, so just gave this one a bit of a wide berth. To be honest I do regret not trying it as I might not get another opportunity to dine at such a fine establishment.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_4086.jpg

The "killer" Traditional Braised Pig Trotter and Egg in Black Vinegar is one dish you probably need to avoid. Now I need to clarify this. I never ate this dish, even though it was offered to me on many occasions. All I know is that my dining companions felt that it was really delicious, but you really should know what you are in for. The pig trotter firstly is super super rich --- basically a large amount of fat. At the same time, the sauce is not your bak ku teh (pork soup) style; it is black vinegar. Anyone who has tried this, knows that this will maul you, chew you up and spit you out ... ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but one to watch out for

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5794.jpg

This is another dish that seems to have just appeared in my photo gallery and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I'm leaning towards Braised Seafood with Mixed Vegetables in Claypot, and by my uncertainty you can guess that I can't really remember much about this dish. I do remember being the last person standing during main course time, and this was the dish I had to try to finish. Probably my mind has blanked the whole experience, with my stomach at full extension hahahahaha!

I wasn't sure about the Wok-fried French Beans with Minced Pork and Chilli. Sure it was tasty, but the beans weren't very al dente which is how stir-fried Chinese vegetables should be. Disappointed? Probably a bit much to say that, but yes I wasn't bowled over by it. Moral of the story? Don't get vegetables at the buffet!!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress..../img_26441.jpg

Again because I don't really eat beef, I didn't really try out the Sauted Beef Tenderloin with Asparagus and Lily Bulbs. In fact, if I recall correctly others ate the beef and left the asparagus and lily bulbs - both of which I really enjoyed.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress..../img_26381.jpg

And like most places these days Yan Ting offer Sashimi. Bizarre if you ask me, but then I suppose they don't ask me

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_4070.jpg

Now onto the deserts. Like I said earlier, don't wait until you are full from the main courses to get into the deserts, you will just live to regret it later. You do need to plan you deserts into the whole meal experience.

Steamed Honeycomb Cake was a dish I was slightly caught in two minds about. It was tasty for sure, but for some reason I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe it was too dry or the texture was a bit unusual.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2670.jpg

I wasn't a big fan of the Cantonese-style Steamed Sponge Cake. It just seemed to dry for my liking.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_5820.jpg

I didn't get a chance to try out the Cantonese-style Pandan Swiss Roll as my dining companions had scoffed it all down!

Glutinous Rice Ball filled with Black Sesame Paste is muah chee for those you love this. Absolutely delicious, and incredibly (yes you guessed it!) light. If I wasn't so darn full I would have ordered another portion.

The Refreshing Chrysanthemum and Apple Jelly was refreshing but I thought it was a bit wasted as there were other jelly dishes available. For example I must preferred the aloe vera jelly with mixed fruits.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....pg?w=748&h=997

The Nourishing Herbal Jelly should come with a health warning!! "Pour all the honey in" is what the accompanying text should say. For those of you that are not used to Chinese herbal style deserts this might be one to steer clear of. It is extremely strong, I would say imagine drinking water that has had wood soaking in it, and you get a close match of what it is like to eat this. It comes with lots of honey ---- USE IT!!!!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2668.jpg

I always like finishing this feast with a glass of Refreshing Aloe Vera Jelly with Fresh Fruits. There is just the right proportions of fruits and jelly and juice to cleanse the palate and to ease the stomach before the long walk the Orchard Road MRT.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....pg?w=748&h=997

Are there any things I would bear in mind?

I think one of the big things to remember about dim sum in general, is that you can feel full immediately after the affair, but actually a couple of hours later you may well start feeling hungry again, so always look to load up that one additional dish. Don't blame me if you can't move after it though!! HAHAHAHAHAHA !

More seriously, this is of course not a place to go for regular lunches, given the price tag. And I know a lot of readers may complain that I have reviewed the place twice and not any other restaurants (I should emphasise at the time of writing I do not receive any kind of kick back for any of my reviews). I recognise that this is certainly an issue. I have a whole bunch of less expensive restaurants lined up in my review list, but they take time to visit and take photos. For example, I have one place that I tried out their signature chicken dish, but didn't take photos of the restaurant or the menu so I need to go back to get more photos before posting.

If you like this post and any of my other posts, feel free to go to the globetrekka blog and click the follow button
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Arnold's Fried Chicken

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2514.jpg

There have been some complaints by regular readers about not having enough cheaper food options, so this is in response to you. First, I apologise, actually no I don't. HA! Believe it or not, this is not my first "cheap" or "local" option that I have reviewed. You can see earlier reviews on John Thai and 881 XO Fish Head Beehoon which I think are quite reasonably priced local places. There's no video for this review as ... well I was too lazy and couldn't be bothered to film anything. Instead you will just have to put up with photos.

In the review on my revisit Yan Ting, I mentioned that I did indeed have cheaper options on the table (no pun intended), just that I needed to go back as the photos from my first visit weren't all that great - this was the place. The things I do for you guys!!

Arnold's Fried Chicken was recommended by a friend, but being located in City Plaza it was a bit far away from a convenient public transport stop. I takes me a good hour to get here on public transport. I just don't think it's worth taking a cab when the price of the meal is so low. In fact going to this part of Singapore was forced on me. I had to pick up a parcel at the SingPost at One KM Mall (don't get me started on that!) and City Plaza is located in the mall right next door.

I took a few photos of the inside of the mall, but it really isn't anything special. Right next to a new mall like One KM means that City Plaza frankly looks tired and run down. But as they say, it's not what on the outside that counts.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2507.jpg

Once you are at City Plaza, just walk through the doors and the escalators are right in front of you, just take those up one floor and AFC's is on your right hand side.

Arnold's Fried Chicken has been around for a long time, they say 30 years on the website, but who knows? And really providing good food and affordable prices means that it is not surprising that it has been around for so long. Put it in perspective, Singapore is only 50 years old. I have heard that, because of the prices they offer, Arnold's Fried Chicken is a favourite among the cheap student crowd.

So how does it work? Well you can't reserve a place. And actually unless you know exactly what is going on, it can be a bit confusing. There are actual a number of stages from getting in line to order, to actually being able to sit down and eat. Here is a reasonably quick and painless version.

The first queue, is to get your order. You just join the back of the queue by the restaurant and wait until you get to the counter. During this time, you should be planning what order you want. If you check out the menu, they don't just serve chicken, they also serve chicken pieces (like they do at KFC).

Let me take a bit of time out to decide what is good at Arnold's Fried Chicken? Well, like the name suggests -- the chicken!!! And to top it all off, it's so cheap!!

Second, once you get to counter, you place your order and they will give you a queue number. After this point you just hang around, looking at everyone else and feeling a bit stupid. In fact, if you go in a crowd, this is a good opportunity to go wandering around the mall. You may well have another 30mins to wait. When you go around, there is a lot of shops selling odds and sods, but basically I couldn't see much there that I found appealing. Though I suspect, like AFC's, the main selling point of shops in this mall is the cheapness!!

Third, after waiting for what seems like an age, your queue number will pop up on the big screen. Time to eat! No. Time to pay. You go back to the counter and pay up. At this point, your food is probably just hitting the fryer. Once you pay and get your receipt, you will also get a buzzer.

This may well be the time you get a seat.

Once you sit down, you wait for the buzzer to .... errr buzz, and then go collect your food.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_2520.jpg

If you want to clean your hands before you eat, this is the time to do it, as they do not really provide cutlery that is effective in cutting through the chicken, only a plastic fork. The sink is on the left hand side and behind you as you look at the counters.

Once your food is ready, you can rush to the counter to pick up your food and admire the hot deliciousness that is Arnold's Fried Chicken.

As I mentioned previously, I had to go to Arnold's Fried Chicken more than once as the first time I let the team down. This picture was from my first visit, when I had a 1/2 Spring Chicken Meal; at S$7.10 one really can't go wrong.

The chicken is really really moist, all the way through. Even with that other perennial favourite, KFC, the meat can taste a bit dry after a bit. Not AFC's

https://globetrekka.wordpress.com/20...fried-chicken/

Now I realise regular punters at AFC's will notice my big big faux pas, for which I apologise. Yes, that's right, I made the newbie error.... I took the food on the tray ... and didn't take the tray back to the counter. In fact, what I observed was that you use the tray to bring the food to your seating area, take the food & drinks off, and then take the tray back to the counter so other customers can use it. It was only when I got up to hand my dirty plate back that I realised my error. I don't think it's a real problem, but no one else kept the tray after picking up their food .... *hide in corner*

Did I say: you can't really go wrong? Well I'm sorry, that is wrong in itself. I should have gone for the whole Spring Chicken Meal for only S$11.90. Which is what I did on my second trip there! As they say, I brung it (translates as: I brought it).

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....4/img_4142.jpg

Yeah, that's right. Your eyes do not deceive you. One whole chicken, french fries and coleslaw, all for S$11.90; including the S$2.30 drink (root beer if you're wondering); it comes to a grand total of S14.20.

In fact I came for lunch this time on a Saturday and I was genuinely surprised that I was able to get a seat almost immediately, which was awesome. I rocked up to the counter and there was no one in front of me. I ordered my whole spring chicken for one person, to eat in, and the lady behind the counter led me directly to a seat. SWEET!!!!

20 minutes later?

Well this is all that is left. Because it is a spring chicken the bones are much smaller so don't forget to work all the way in there. You'll be surprised where to find additional crispy spots. Yum, yum, yum!!!

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress..../img_41461.jpg

This really isn't the sort of place to spend time chit chatting. You really are here just to eat. Also, to be considerate to future diners, don't hang around too long after your finish, as there is usually a queue. Make sure you give everyone an opportunity to share the joy of the chicken.

Even there was no queue when I arrived, only 30mins later there was a now a line of people waiting to get in.

I am still writing up a review on another local restaurant. So hopefully I can return to the more expensive places shortly Keep your eyes peeled.
You can follow my latest adventures on my blog
Old May 1, 2016, 2:48 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks! Great posts!
Old May 7, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Sin Heng Claypot Bak Koot (Bak Kut) Teh, Joo Chiat

Name:  img_4160.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  498.3 KB

As usual you can find the review, in it's full technicolour glory here

I love this place. I used to go here once every two weeks, but getting here wasn't cheap --- you always needed a car/taxi, so the cost can stack up quickly.

And while it is not far by taxi or car, it is quite some way by public transport. There is no nearby MRT. However, if you do want to take MRT, the best way to get to Sin Heng Claypot Bak Koot Teh is to go to Paya Lebar MRT (you can read my guide on how to use the MRT here) and then walk about 30mins.

Either way, the best landmark to aim for is 112 Katong, the flash and fancy new shopping mall in the Joo Chiat neighbourhood.

The Joo Chiat area is named after a wealthy Chinese migrant Chew Joo Chiat. It used to be an area of coconut plantations, really by looking around now, you would never be able to tell! Of course there aren't the high rise buildings that has become synonymous with Singapore, but it is pretty much all built up as a low level residential suburb.

Many refer to the Katong Laksa a being the best laksa around. I would dispute that. Having eaten that, and the stuff they serve from the Prima packets, I actually prefer those from the packets .... oooo controversial!!!! Anyway, the best laksa is from Penang!!!

Like a lot of local restaurants that I visit, Sin Heng Claypot Bak Koot Teh is best visited at lunch rather than at dinner, where it can get crazy busy. When I have come here in the evening for dinner, there is often a queue outside. Don't forget, this is not the easiest place to get to by public transport so it's quite a feat to have people queuing.

https://globetrekka.files.wordpress....5/img_4166.jpg

When you get to your table you are handed a menu (not the one below). What it is famous for is the Bak Koot Teh.

Now, some of you eagle eyes out there will have noticed that I have used two spellings of Bak Koot Teh in the title. And that is because my normal spelling is Bak Ku Teh (which literally translates as pork rib tea); for some reason they have gone and change the widely recognised spelling.

Anyway, back to the food. I don't ever recall ordering the "Special" version. I normally just order the normal claypot version. And the small. Though on occasion I have been known to go crazy and order the medium.

Just as a reference, the small has 4 ribs in, but with the soup it is quite a substantial portion.

Name:  img_4161.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  681.4 KB

Then there is the choice of drink. They don't as wide a variety as a normal restaurant. Just your typical local fare --- they do have coca-cola for those of you who like to support Warren Buffet. The staff are more than happy to suggest a drink; sometime too much so! Me personally I wanted lime juice. And they suggested, Lime with Prune.

Name:  img_4162.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  582.7 KB

If you don't like sour things, this is not the drink for you. It actually known as sour plum so brace yourself. If you do order it, make sure to stir it up before you drink it, or else if you drink from the bottom you might get a whole mouthful of sour plum juice; or if you drink from the top you might get some very diluted juice, followed by a whole mouthful of sour plum juice. HAHAHA!!!

Name:  img_4163.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  501.3 KB

Now on to the preparation. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the final set up. But the chillies are an important component to this dish. Once they have taken your order, the server will bring two baskets of chillies. One with the small variety and another with a larger variety. The large ones are the gentle sweet variety; the small ones? Well, they're the knock you socks of type.

What I typically do is mix them up and then pour both light (salty) and dark (sweet) soya sauce in one of the sauce dishes. My logic is that the light sauce encourages the mixing of the chillies and the sauce, while the thick sauce clings to the rib meat. Actually I don't eat a lot of the chilli, mainly I use it for flavouring the soya sauce.

Name:  img_4165.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  774.4 KB

The arrival of the Bak Koot Teh.

Bak Kuh Teh, is not cooked on the spot, which is why it usually arrives pretty quickly.

It is usually prepared much earlier, perhaps even days in advance. This makes the meat particularly soft and easy for it to come away from the bone. The claypot is hot and thus keeps all the contents nice and hot as well.

WARNING: the soup is hot hot hot. The claypot retains heat super super well, so be prepared to have your mouth burnt if you try to slurp it down. I have been here too many times and too many times I have ended up burning my mouth!

Name:  img_4167.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  461.1 KB

INNARDS!!!!

I know this is not for everyone, but I have to say that this is one of my favourites. The sauce is nice and thick and quite sweet. I suspect they use the dark soya sauce for it. They also add ginger and garlic.

Name:  img_4178.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  553.7 KB

You have choice of rice; normal white rice or yam rice.

I went for yam rice which I find a bit more filling.

Name:  img_4170.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  439.5 KB

So you are eating the ribs, and the innards, and now you wish you could have more soup.... Well here it how you do it.

First, you signal to one of the wait staff that you need their attention. You can prance up and down like a pony, but a simple raising of the hand also works.

Second, when you finally get someone to look at you, and this can be a few minutes wait when it's very busy. Make the thumbs up gesture, but then turn it upside down until you are pointing at the empty bowl of soup. Repeat this action until the wait stuff copies it back to you.

Third, sit aimlessly while the server makes their way to the back of the restaurant (to the kitchen) grabs a saucepan and fills it with soup. They will eventually make their way to your table and refill your pot. See video below for the skills pouring action.

https://youtu.be/AxjQxUSSFC4

You may wonder what you should be doing with bones .... well this is answer

Name:  img_4209.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  452.2 KB

Yup, that's right, just dump it on the table. When I first came to Sin Heng Claypot Bak Koot (Bak Kut) Teh, I tried to work out the best place to put the bones. And everyone seemed to just leave them on the table.

And the end of the meal .....

Name:  img_4225.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  465.9 KB

You can follow all my adventures food, travel and life on my globetrekka blog
Old May 10, 2016, 4:39 pm

tekka market, choose the ones that dont tout
Old May 15, 2016, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Battle of the Crabs Buffet, Park Royal on Kitchener

Let me start by saying that this is a short picture report when compared to my other reviews. The reason is that I went to this buffet very recently and it will stop at the end of June 2016, so if you are interested in going, it makes sense to just quickly get this report up (it's really a picture report and not a review). You can see the post in its native environment at here.

Name:  img_4337.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  541.6 KB

Battle of the crabs buffet, PARKROYAL on Kitchener

Here's a little taster for you guys. My own portions of food

BRING

IT

ON

Name:  img_4340.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  1.68 MB

Well, what to do? I've not been to a buffet for at least a month so off I go again!

My most recent buffet was the Return to Yan Ting which was right at the top of the budget range [You can find all my food reviews in Singapore in my Singapore Food Tour category]. The crab buffet at Park Royal on Kitchener is a bit more reasonably priced. at S$63 per perron

The crab buffet has been widely reported by many bloggers so I'm only going to add to the noise; and what a delightful noise it is!

This review is not very detailed as I visited in May, and the current deal only goes on until June 2016, so about 6 weeks left to try it out!!!!!

First thing to say, crab is not the only thing on the menu. There is a reasonably wide variety of alternatives available.

Name:  img_4289.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  489.6 KB

I never got a chance to take a photo of the sushi bar. But you'll need to take my word for it. There was a sushi bar. Unfortunately people were grabbing at it so there was never a good opportunity for a photo.

But there was a cold seafood section serving crayfish and prawns as well as short neck clams.

Name:  img_4299.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  642.2 KB

Curry was also available.

Name:  img_4293.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  544.4 KB

There were plenty of varieties of crab dishes. Unfortunately in most cases I never got an opportunity to take a photo of the full platter. As soon as a new plate came out, the swarms descended on them.

Indian Style Crab

Name:  img_4315.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  532.5 KB

Salted Egg Crab

Name:  img_4287.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  514.1 KB

Chili Crab

Name:  img_4303.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  546.6 KB

Kimchi Crab

Name:  img_4307.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  474.8 KB

There were also other crab dishes available such as Black Pepper Crab, Rock Salt Crab, Crab Ball, Crab Tanghoon, Pumpkin Soup Crab and Jalapeno Crab.

There is also a massive desert section

Name:  img_4275.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  442.3 KB

Name:  img_4277.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  510.7 KB

Cheeses

Name:  img_4281.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  403.5 KB

There is also a section for (flavoured) water and also hot drinks (to the left) and ice cream (to the right).

Name:  img_4283.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  524.0 KB

As I mentioned earlier, this review is not as detailed as other reviews as there is only a short time left that this deal is valid for.

Battle of the Crab Dinner
Thursday to Saturday
Adult: SGD65
Child: SGD34
Offer is valid from 04 January 2016 to 30 June 2016

There is a special price of S$99 for two adults if you use UOB, DBS/POSB, Maybank or HSBC credit or debit cards.

As usual you can follow me on the globetrekka blog

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.