Wiki Posts
Search

Transit SIN. Different airline/tix/PNR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by THO
Hi all,

I've got the same questions as JohnnyColombia: In January I'll be transiting at Changi from MH to BA. The flights are on different tickets/PNRs.

As both airlines are Oneworld members, I assume I should be able to check the bags in KUL all the way home. But what will the transit the transit be like in SIN? Will I need to go landside as there is a terminal change?

Thanks,
THO
The terminals are all connected airside so as long as your luggage is checked through you should be ok.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:15 pm
THO

Programs: BA Gold
Great, thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Hi folks

I am transiting SIN tomorrow night, arriving from SYD on BA and leaving to PEK on CA.

Do I need to "enter" Singapore and go to the CA desks landside to check my luggage back in or is there some sort of transfer desk where I can check it back into CA and head off to the lounge?

My bookings are completely different tickets, PNRs, airlines, alliances

Thanks
Originally Posted by asiadxer
Since both BA and CA use Terminal 1, your transit should be easy. Just go to the Terminal 1 Transfer Desk C or D at the end of the gates pier by the main hall. They will issue your new CA boarding pass. Show your baggage tags, and they will transfer the baggage to departing flight. Then head to the lounge.
I'm flying C so can I go to the Krisflyer lounge? I went to the Skyview lounge on the way down, it had an Air China sign but it was a bit sucky.

I have about 4 hours there but it's like 9pm to 1am so I'm not fussed about a city tour but thanks, nice idea. I was just there for 4 days over the weekend.

Four hours plenty to just go get the case myself and check it back in? Rather than chance someone from CA having to go get it?
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
BA will NOT transfer your bags to CA if you're on separate tickets. BA will only check thru bags if they're on to another Oneworld flight (even on separate tickets). If you have one ticket, BA will then thru check you on CA. But you're not...

So you will need to go through immigration and collect your bags, and clear customs in Singapore. Then go to check in at CA desks.

Contrary to what others have said, from personal experience, when you're at the SKL at T3, there is no boarding announcement for CA flights. And where the location of where the SKL is (near gates A8) it is rather far from the transit train at T3 (11 mins walk) to T1 and you'd have to walk a bit more especially if your flight is departing from D gates.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/maps.html
So far so good, I think

BA check in was very helpful and tagged the bags through to PEK, but also insisted on checking my visa status so I had to show them my flight from PEK to KUL to show I was within TWOV limits. Phone calls were made and even the KUL flight was entered into the system.

Hopefully now I only have to go to the transit desk at SIN and get my next boarding pass. Handy because my connection is a whisker under 3 hours and not the 4 hours that I thought I had

Cheers for the helpful advice
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Did you even read my posting?

Or did you meant to answer to someone else? Because your "answer" does make zero sense in this context.
Yes, I have read a bunch of posts in this thread. What I conclude is that the OP is arriving on BA and departing on Air China, both from T1, with slightly less than three hours to "connect" on separate tickets/alliances, including at least to get the next boarding pass and have bags transferred and possibly to go through immigration and customs to pick up checked bags and then take them to check in and then go through outbound passport control. This "transit" is late at night, when transportation between terminals at SIN becomes infrequent. So IMO the OP really won't have enough time to go from T1 to T3 to use the SilverKris lounge and get back to T1 to do security and board an international flight. Personally, I wouldn't try this. [If there's unexpected extra time, the OP could use the airport's swimming pool for the novelty. Although it's no longer open 24/7, it closes late in the evening.]
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, I have read a bunch of posts in this thread. What I conclude is that the OP is arriving on BA and departing on Air China, both from T1, with slightly less than three hours to "connect" on separate tickets/alliances, including at least to get the next boarding pass and have bags transferred and possibly to go through immigration and customs to pick up checked bags and then take them to check in and then go through outbound passport control. This "transit" is late at night, when transportation between terminals at SIN becomes infrequent. So IMO the OP really won't have enough time to go from T1 to T3 to use the SilverKris lounge and get back to T1 to do security and board an international flight. Personally, I wouldn't try this. [If there's unexpected extra time, the OP could use the airport's swimming pool for the novelty. Although it's no longer open 24/7, it closes late in the evening.]
You seem not to be too familiar with SIN from what I can see then.

9pm-1am, that's definitely NOT late at night in SIN. And OP claimed originally 4 hours to be in transit. (but it wouldn't matter, even with 3 hours)

The trains (Skytrain) connecting the terminals do close down for a few hours over night, but not from 9pm to 1am, far from it.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/tran...terminals.html

Only closed between 2.30am and 5am. (and you could even walk during those night times airside.. it's not that far)

Even with 3 hours - in fact even with 2 hours only, I would definitely go to T3 if I had a *A flight in C to enjoy the Silverkris lounge.

Time to get from T1 to T3 - even just following the signs and having to wait for the Skytrain a few minutes each way - is less than 15 minutes.

Leaving the lounge 45minutes before actual departure leaves more than enough time to get from T3 to T1.

With just 2 hours transfer time, that would still mean 1 hour to spend in the Silverkris. Plenty of time for a decent shower, and a tasty meal to replace the calories you've burnt while walking a little.

Staying in T1 for a 3 hours transit in the meagre lounge offering there, instead of enjoying the Silverkris in T3, well, I guess everyone can chose what they think best, but that's hardly what I would consider smart.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
BA will NOT transfer your bags to CA if you're on separate tickets. BA will only check thru bags if they're on to another Oneworld flight (even on separate tickets). If you have one ticket, BA will then thru check you on CA. But you're not...

So you will need to go through immigration and collect your bags, and clear customs in Singapore. Then go to check in at CA desks.

Contrary to what others have said, from personal experience, when you're at the SKL at T3, there is no boarding announcement for CA flights. And where the location of where the SKL is (near gates A8) it is rather far from the transit train at T3 (11 mins walk) to T1 and you'd have to walk a bit more especially if your flight is departing from D gates.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/maps.html
Here's someone who points out that it's a long walk to the little train that connects the terminals.

IIRC the trains between T1 and T3 now go via way of T2 (and make a stop there), so that it's a longer ride than in the past.

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You seem not to be too familiar with SIN from what I can see then.

9pm-1am, that's definitely NOT late at night in SIN. And OP claimed originally 4 hours to be in transit. (but it wouldn't matter, even with 3 hours)

The trains (Skytrain) connecting the terminals do close down for a few hours over night, but not from 9pm to 1am, far from it.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/tran...terminals.html

Only closed between 2.30am and 5am. (and you could even walk during those night times airside.. it's not that far)

Even with 3 hours - in fact even with 2 hours only, I would definitely go to T3 if I had a *A flight in C to enjoy the Silverkris lounge.

Time to get from T1 to T3 - even just following the signs and having to wait for the Skytrain a few minutes each way - is less than 15 minutes.

Leaving the lounge 45minutes before actual departure leaves more than enough time to get from T3 to T1.

With just 2 hours transfer time, that would still mean 1 hour to spend in the Silverkris. Plenty of time for a decent shower, and a tasty meal to replace the calories you've burnt while walking a little.

Staying in T1 for a 3 hours transit in the meagre lounge offering there, instead of enjoying the Silverkris in T3, well, I guess everyone can chose what they think best, but that's hardly what I would consider smart.
I might not go through SIN as frequently as you do, but I've been through there about 25 times and I've also done a "behind the scenes" tour, so I guess I am at least somewhat familiar with the airport.

I didn't say that the trains between terminals stop in the 9 pm to 1 am, but I do remember trying to take the train around midnight and being told that it was less frequent than usual due to the late hour.

For three hours from landing to takeoff, it first takes time to deplane (maybe ten minutes), then a half hour each way for the commute to the SilverKris lounge in T3, maybe five minutes to be admitted to the lounge and settle into a seat, maybe twenty minutes to find the transfer desk and do what needs to be done there including standing in line if there is one. For an international flight, to be sure, because I'm risk averse, I'd allow an hour to find the gate, go through security, and board so that one satisfies the requirement to be on board 30 minutes before scheduled departure time. I think we should also allow a bit of extra time since the OP doesn't seem to know SIN, for hesitation, getting lost, and asking for directions. This doesn't give much extra time to enjoy the lounge at all, perhaps twenty minutes. It's doable if one wants the exercise, but for me it wouldn't be worth the trouble for a three hour "connection."
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:15 am

Well, we obviously seem to differ, and have different speeds of getting around buildings. I guess OPs questions regarding the transit were answered exhaustingly, so this thread can also be of use to anyone else in a similar situation.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by asiadxer
Since both BA and CA use Terminal 1, your transit should be easy. Just go to the Terminal 1 Transfer Desk C or D at the end of the gates pier by the main hall. They will issue your new CA boarding pass. Show your baggage tags, and they will transfer the baggage to departing flight. Then head to the lounge.
Just want to confirm, based on this, that I won't have a problem....

Arriving in T1 on DL after midnight and flying out on AirAsia at ten the next morning. DL has already told me they will not ticket my luggage through to AirAsia. So when I land, I don't have to clear customs, but, instead, can go to the transfer desk with my baggage tags, where they will pull my luggage and ticket it for my next flight. Thus, I can stay in the Transfer Hotel without clearing customs?

Also, I made a reservation last night and was only given an option of Terminal 2 or 3. Is there a different link for Terminal 1?

Thanks for any help.

ADDED: Just saw the link to the hotel in Terminal 1. Unfortunately, either the site is down or Gogo Wireless is acting up. I'll try to make the reservation later and cancel the other. Still hoping someone can confirm that i can transfer my bags from DL to AirAsia without clearing customs.

Last edited by CJKatl; Nov 11, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just want to confirm, based on this, that I won't have a problem....

Arriving in T1 on DL after midnight and flying out on AirAsia at ten the next morning. DL has already told me they will not ticket my luggage through to AirAsia. So when I land, I don't have to clear customs, but, instead, can go to the transfer desk with my baggage tags, where they will pull my luggage and ticket it for my next flight. Thus, I can stay in the Transfer Hotel without clearing customs?

Also, I made a reservation last night and was only given an option of Terminal 2 or 3. Is there a different link for Terminal 1?

Thanks for any help.

ADDED: Just saw the link to the hotel in Terminal 1. Unfortunately, either the site is down or Gogo Wireless is acting up. I'll try to make the reservation later and cancel the other. Still hoping someone can confirm that i can transfer my bags from DL to AirAsia without clearing customs.
None of the major airlines interline and transfer bags with the LCC which Air Asia is. So you would need to clear immigration, pick up your bags, walk through custom and head to departure at Air Asia's terminal (IIRC T1) and check you bags in with Air Asia. You will then get your boarding pass and go through Singapore exit immigration. Head to you gate and clear flight security at the gate.

The T1 transit hotel is operated by a different outfit than T2 and T3. you need to go to the right website to do a booking.

You can sleep at the hotel and then enter Singapore to pick up your bags and recheck them in the morning.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
You can sleep at the hotel and then enter Singapore to pick up your bags and recheck them in the morning.
Thanks. If I just have carryon, none of this will be an issue, right? I'll just be able to stay in the transit hotel and go to my gate in the morning? I may just do that. It's a short trip.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thanks. If I just have carryon, none of this will be an issue, right? I'll just be able to stay in the transit hotel and go to my gate in the morning? I may just do that. It's a short trip.
You would wake up, grab breakfast and head over the AirAsia airside counter near entrance to C gates and get you BP.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:08 am

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by tentseller

Sorry for the resurrection but I just want to ask. Leaving luggage on the conveyor would be safe in SIN? is there a way to guarantee that it gets taken to lost and found and not taken by another passenger?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris19992
Sorry for the resurrection but I just want to ask. Leaving luggage on the conveyor would be safe in SIN?
In my opinion and with my risk tolerance, yes.

It does not stay on the conveyor forever as they need it for the next flight. All the times that I late picked up my bags they were at the unclaimed area secured by a long cable or under supervision. Your claim tags are verified.

is there a way to guarantee that it gets taken to lost and found and not taken by another passenger?
NO
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Is there a way to guarantee that it gets taken to lost and found and not taken by another passenger?
100% guarantee? No. Anyone could take your bag from the conveyor (accidental or otherwise) and waltz right out the door with it (there is no verification at changi).

However, that risk is extremely small.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I think it's worth a chance, going to have a 9 hour stay in Changi and could probably use the sleep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.