Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
The haze in back!

So, sing those songs:

I do appreciate good humor.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Meanwhile on the HAZE website...

(on another note, it does seem to be a bit better now than this morning.)
Also, it is also strongly affecting Google Trends search for PSI
(though not as much as a couple years ago when PSI was >300...)
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Well, good thing it's no earthquake or tsunami.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: m&m
Hi, I am planning to stay in SIN for three days in two weeks, so I keep monitoring the PSI and PM readings, which are partly climbing towards 230. Just a few questions:
- how do air conditionings of the ** and *** hotels deal with the PM? Are they all equipped with a filter?
- I am a healthy person, so does PSI of 250 etc. really mean no city walk for me? Is the MRT safe?
- Is it necessary to wear a mask and if yes will it be still available in SIN?

Looking forward to your opinions and answers.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by uncleflori
Hi, I am planning to stay in SIN for three days in two weeks, so I keep monitoring the PSI and PM readings, which are partly climbing towards 230. Just a few questions:
- how do air conditionings of the ** and *** hotels deal with the PM? Are they all equipped with a filter?
- I am a healthy person, so does PSI of 250 etc. really mean no city walk for me? Is the MRT safe?
- Is it necessary to wear a mask and if yes will it be still available in SIN?

Looking forward to your opinions and answers.
For a short trip, with no co-morbidities, you will be completely fine. Hotels are unlikely to have HEPA filters.

tb
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
- On hotels, it's not clear whether or not they filter the air. Generally the windows in the rooms are sealed, thus the air is recirculated. The good news is that the pollutants are largely kept outside except for whatever makes its way up the elevators.
- On walks, use your judgment. Note that the public school system will not conduct any PE classes/exercises whether indoors or out at the 200 level and above. Regardless of rating, Singaporeans are still going to work and taking the MRT. This is significant as half of the MRT system is above ground.
- Locals do wear masks, out of an abundance of caution. The most protective ones are 3M N95 masks. These are reasonably available - I did a fast check in my neighborhood and found that Guardian and Unity drug store chains, and Fairprice supermarkets sell them singly right around the registers. I presume the other drug store and supermarket chains will have them as well.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:13 am

Dear dsgtc0408 and trueblu,
thank you for your prompt and helpful answers. I will consider to take some masks along. Hopefully the PSI-level will decrease in the next weeks. Otherwise I will have to come back another year to do the planned hiking in the nature reserves
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by uncleflori
Dear dsgtc0408 and trueblu,
thank you for your prompt and helpful answers. I will consider to take some masks along. Hopefully the PSI-level will decrease in the next weeks. Otherwise I will have to come back another year to do the planned hiking in the nature reserves
It is probably more sensible to purchase the masks here. N95 masks are industrial grade that filters particles to 0.3 microns 95% of the time. They can be a little bulky to carry, but are not outrageously expensive at S$3-4 each. If the haze is down, you won't even need to buy them. As for next year, I'm afraid the haze will be back again (and most likely the years after); we've only been affected by this since 2013.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
As for next year, I'm afraid the haze will be back again (and most likely the years after); we've only been affected by this since 2013.
Yes, it really is a shame and the learning curve in Indonesia respectively with the companies and individuals reponsible for the slash-and-burn seems to point downwards ...

Well I will try my best and if the situation worsens I will try to postpone my onward journey to HKG.

Thank's for all the valuable information.^^
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
You'll survive with a good N95 mask. We (SEAsian nationals) have already had 2 months of bad air. Wear masks when outside, stay indoors and dont open windows.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:31 am

Slightly ironic that I had planned holidays because the haze was back ... and then it disappeared.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:52 pm

Was in Singapore recently and have noticed a drop in the air quality. A bit hazey and smokey smell .... Has the haze returned in the garden city?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Was in Singapore recently and have noticed a drop in the air quality. A bit hazey and smokey smell .... Has the haze returned in the garden city?
It has been for a month like this already.

However, apparently according to NEA everything is fine...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Yes but this time it's from our neighbours across the causeway.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-fires-persist
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Yes but this time it's from our neighbours across the causeway.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-fires-persist
First they cancel the High Speed Rail, then threaten the water supplies and now .... burn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.