Search

Food Tour Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, etc

My husband and I are planning our first time visit to Singapore and have hired
a guide for our 3 day stay. The night we arrive (and before the guide begins)we are looking for a great evening Food Tour to go to some of the Hawker Centers etc. So far I can't seem to
find such a tour and would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks much!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:26 pm

Which part of town are u staying in?

It is easy to just go to a hawker center and order food.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Which part of town are u staying in?

It is easy to just go to a hawker center and order food.
I agree. Singapore unlike may other countries has the unique "Hawker Centre" concept. There are some threads under here (Singapore) which would refer you to some of the good places.

In other countries you may need a food guide to take you from one shop to another, but that you dont need at the Hawker Centre. Let us know where you will be staying and I am sure you will get a flood of suggestions on which hawker centre to go to.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:27 pm

Since u arrive at night, I think the closest would be Newton Circus hawker center which would be open until quite late.
Depending on the time u arrive, many hawker centers and food courts might be closed by then.

It is a little pricey at Newton Circus as it caters a lot to tourists but there are still some decent choices there. Just look for the fixed price items like noodles and satay and dont get the variable price seafood.
Newton Circus is within walking distance of the hotel.

There are also food courts in the basements of the surrounding shopping centers near the hotel.

This is a good article on singapore food
http://travel.cnn.com/singapore/none...without-810208
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
You could always check out Dr Leslie's suggestions. He's basically Singapore's #1 'local (hawker) food' blogger.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all...actually, we are arriving late afternoon. Does that open up more interesting venues? I will definitely check out Dr. Leslie as well!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I would rather recommend to avoid Newton food court. For a reason.

You will be staying at Orchard Rd which is not real Singapore, it is just glamorized shopping mall.

You can get a decent food at ION's B2 where is food court, with air conditioning, but prices are accordingly - 2x-3x of normal hawker center.

If you want to try real hawker center you can go to Khatib hawker center which is on red MRT line - 9 stops on MRT, just about 30 min ride.

Or you can go to Old Airport Road hawker center. To get there either get taxi, or again, use MRT - on red line go toward Ghobby Ghaut, change there to Circle (yellow) line, and after 6 stops get out at Mountbatten MRT. From there it is 5 min walk to the hawker center.

What to try - simple rule - if you see a line, join it.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
I would rather recommend to avoid Newton food court. For a reason.

You will be staying at Orchard Rd which is not real Singapore, it is just glamorized shopping mall.

You can get a decent food at ION's B2 where is food court, with air conditioning, but prices are accordingly - 2x-3x of normal hawker center.

If you want to try real hawker center you can go to Khatib hawker center which is on red MRT line - 9 stops on MRT, just about 30 min ride.

Or you can go to Old Airport Road hawker center. To get there either get taxi, or again, use MRT - on red line go toward Ghobby Ghaut, change there to Circle (yellow) line, and after 6 stops get out at Mountbatten MRT. From there it is 5 min walk to the hawker center.

What to try - simple rule - if you see a line, join it.
Old Airport Road Center ... yes. Or there's a decent one in Chinatown, too; approx 3-4 blocks from Pagoda St MRT-exit.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
KF Seetoh is pretty much the arbiter of all that is hawker and food in Singapore. He operates the blog Makansutra. He's usually to be found in western food/travel shows with the likes of Tony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern, etc. guiding them around the Lion City. Good info there.

Frankly, I personally think that the use of a "guide" in Singapore is unnecessary. It's a small place, the sights are well known, there are excellent sample itineraries available to catch the sights, transportation is easy/cheap/readily available, etc. If you have specific interests not covered in a sample itinerary, ask your concierge. If you want food, at ANY time, the best source of info will be your taxi driver. (S)he will know what is open, what is good, and without question will have strong opinions as to who sells the best(fill-in-the-blank) anywhere in Singapore, and will tend to take you to local spots that offer excellent value/quality for the price.

Suggest researching Singapore cuisine to get an idea of what interests you to try, so you have a starting point of conversation with your cabbie. Also, Bourdain's various Singapore episodes on his different series are available streaming on Netflix. Could be useful for food and location pointers.

A good thread about "3 Days in Singapore" including discussions of sample itineraries and suggestions of what to do.

A Hippo/Duck/Flyer ticket can provide excellent hop on/off sightseeing and give you a good grounding for what is what and where.

Best advice - get away from hotel and Orchard Rd., and go local.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.